Kill the Messengers... Thanks WotC!

Imaro

Legend
One of the things I never understood was why WotC didn't release it's "Encounters" or celebrity game adventures online. Personally I have always felt like them doing something like this would be a win/win as far as supplying some nice free support material (like they did in the 3.x days) as well as engendering some goodwill, and you can never have too much of that.

That said I just wanted to start this thread in support of them releasing more of their "special" adventures online either as free material or even through DDI, especially since we are very quick to post about the things we feel are wrong decisions... I definitely think we should support one's we feel are right as well... So thanks WotC and hopefully we'll see more items like this in the future.

Oh and here's the link... Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Game Official Home Page - Article (Kill the Messengers)

whearp

First Post
It's a pretty cool little encounter, but It doesn't fit so perfectly with the Ghost Tower sequel to the Twisting Halls. Nevertheles, I too would like to see them start releasing more of these encounters and adventures on the site... at least to DDI members and/or sanctioned DMs.

fanboy2000

Adventurer
They've released a few "special" adventures online. Dungeon 166 has Storm Tower from one of the Penny Arcade podcasts. Also, there's a second level Eberron Adventure that was given away at one of the Free RPG days under the Test Drive section.

mkill

Adventurer
I absolutely agree. Give us DMs stuff to spread D&D love!

I love the character sheet format in the module. It's nicely structured and newbie-friendly, with the skills and ability scores paired together.

It would be perfect if it would include power cards and character portraits, than I could just print it out and go, and D&D would have 4 new players.

Derulbaskul

Adventurer
Considering how little content actually appears in Dungeon these days, perhaps filling the empty spaces with stuff from Encounters is a good solution for WotC that wouldn't require more content to be actually produced?

Perhaps a message to whoever if the editor-in-chief of Dungeon these days is in order?

CasvalRemDeikun

Adventurer
It would be perfect if it would include power cards and character portraits, than I could just print it out and go, and D&D would have 4 new players.
All you need for that is the Red Box (even though it needs some errata). All the characters appear to be built with it in mind.

BTW, every time I see Slimy Transmutation it reminds me of the hole in my heart that needs to be filled with a Transmutation school in 4E.

The Little Raven

First Post
The only way to get Encounters adventures is to attend Encounters and to DM the game. If they made it freely available on their site, that would undermine the purpose of Encounters: getting people into the game stores to help build community.

I highly doubt we'll see that happen.

Ahrimon

Bourbon and Dice
Well, season 3 is going on now. I don't think it would bad if they started releasing season 1. At the rate of 1 encounter per week they'd never catch up. It's the best of both worlds. Go to the store: play in a brand new encounter (DM and get free stuff). Wait six+ months: get the adventure in dungeon.

Festivus

First Post
The adventure is the reward for the DM to get for taking (a lot) of his or her personal time to show up every week and DM encounters.

Yeah yeah, supposed to do it for the fun of the game but I got to tell you, after DMing Seasons 1 and 2, was ready to take a break and be a player... until I saw it was Keep on the Borderlands.

If it was going to come out in Dungeon, I probably wouldn't have bothered with DMing Encounters this season.

What is it with the lack of content in Dungeon anyhow? Is it that they aren't taking external submitted adventures or they don't have staff to handle it or something else? It's a shell of it's former self, that is for sure.

Ahrimon

Bourbon and Dice
I don't know. Having the physical product is always better to me. Plus you get the tokens and maps. Better than a PDF scan in my book.

Remove ads