• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Kind of confused about the staggered releases.

Evenglare

Adventurer
So the point of staggering releases of the PHB, DMG, and MM was so that the whole team can focus on the books one by one as they are released. This is to ensure the quality of the books, having everyone on the same page, etc etc. Well how come there is a quite large amount of errata already needed for the PHB, especially where spells are concerned? Wasn't the staggered release date supposed to fix this very problem?? I expect a few errors here or there, but there are a LOT in PHB, spells appearing in quick builds but on on spell lists, some spells were renamed so there are references to spells that no longer exist, and there's a ridiculous amount more if you go check on the wizards forum. So why are they releasing these books so far apart again? If it's for quality control, they dropped the ball on that one.

Last edited:

Rod Staffwand

aka Ermlaspur Flormbator
It's so people don't have to plunk down $100 for all three books at once.
It's so people can get content right now instead of waiting until all three books are done.
And, yes, it's so the design team can focus on a single book at a time.

Agamon

Adventurer
I haven't read anything that I've noticed, though I haven't reached the spells yet. But I haven't heard anyone talk about this yet either, I'm not on the Wizards forum. How many spells are affected by this? Which ones? Are they game changing or just typos?

bleezy

First Post
I've seen one misspelling, the Find Familiar table is missing (but explicitly mentioned in the spell description) and they listed the Sutur and the Frost Giant god as Fire Giants. I haven't played the game yet; these are things I just noticed browsing through.

So the point of staggering releases of the PHB, DMG, and MM was so that the whole team can focus on the books one by one as they are released. This is to ensure the quality of the books, having everyone on the same page, etc etc. Well how come there is a quite large amount of errata already needed for the PHB, especially where spells are concerned? Wasn't the staggered release date supposed to fix this very problem??

Every published book - RPG or otherwise - has errors. You can't fix that. Best you can do it mitigate against errors with more time and resources allocated to editing and proofing.

I expect a few errors here or there, but there are a LOT in PHB, spells appearing in quick builds but on on spell lists, some spells were renamed so there are references to spells that no longer exist, and there's a ridiculous amount more if you go check on the wizards forum. So why are they releasing these books so far apart again? If it's for quality control, they dropped the ball on that one.

Then imagine how much more errata there would be if they released all three books at once.

Last edited:

variant

Adventurer
What annoys me is that people are also pointing out things that aren't errors as errors simply because they either can't understand proper English or expect something to work one way when it works another.

Remove ads