Knowing beforehand how many episodes it would be, what's the longest series you've gotten into?

pming

Legend
Hiya!

Caveat: I will ONLY watch a TV show if it's available as a complete season, on DVD/Download, with no commercials. I loathe commercials! So much so the last time I sat down and 'watched TV', was around the early 2000's!

Longest... probably Supernaturals. I jumped in on it when they were in season 9 or 10 I think, so I started at Season 1, Episode 1. I found it rather enjoyable, really enjoyable as time went on. Just finished the VERY last episode of the final Season 15 just three days ago. Had to purchase it on Youtube.

After that, well, as I said...I only watch TV shows "in full seasons, no commercials", and in what is termed "binge watching" now I guess. I'll sit down and watch 12 hours straight, easy...then do it again the next day.

I will also happily avoid a TV series for YEARS until it wraps up and comes out in DVD format. Did this with Battlestar Galactica, Game of Thrones (up to season...6 I think?...then every year I'd watch the previous year once it was released), and Supernaturals, as I said.

Supernaturals, Babylon 5, GoT, and BSG are probably the "longest". Then again, I can burn through an entire season in a day, day and a half tops, so "long running" is kinda pointless to me. :)

^_^

Paul L. Ming

I'm working my way through 30 Rock, which is about 135 episodes.

I wouldn't call it a commitment though; if it stops being funny then I'll stop watching it.

TheSword

Legend
I normally keep an eye out for things as they come out so rarely watch as whole series with a massive back catalogue.

However I missed Parks and Recreation first time round at 125 episodes. Not only was I hooked but so was my family and several of my friends. Ron Swanson is unique, as is Leslie Knope! The recent thread on libraries made me chuckle remembering this.

I actually used to watch Days of Our Lives with my wife back when we first started dating. The byzantine plot twists and reveals far outstrip any fantasy world (Like when Rex and Cassie first appeared as possibly alien arrivals. And she has told me stories about Marlena being possessed by the devil). Long-running soap operas exist on a scale that practically dwarfs comprehension. Days of Our Lives clocks in at 14,000 episodes.

Days of Our Lives... (look it up, I implore you 😂)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I actually used to watch Days of Our Lives with my wife back when we first started dating. The byzantine plot twists and reveals far outstrip any fantasy world (Like when Rex and Cassie first appeared as possibly alien arrivals. And she has told me stories about Marlena being possessed by the devil). Long-running soap operas exist on a scale that practically dwarfs comprehension. Days of Our Lives clocks in at 14,000 episodes.
Wait, what? That’s a real show? I thought it was a fictional show that Joey from Friends was in!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I have a problem where I watch a show for a bit then for some reason stop. A few years later I don’t go back to it because I can’t remember where I stopped and I don’t want to rewatch what I’ve seen. Seinfeld and 30 Rock both have that problem for me. I guess I’ll never get back to them!

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
Yup, it’s real. Been running since the 60’s. I knew that because my dad used to watch it when I was a kid 😂 And yup, it had its 14000th episode last month...

I have a problem where I watch a show for a bit then for some reason stop. A few years later I don’t go back to it because I can’t remember where I stopped and I don’t want to rewatch what I’ve seen. Seinfeld and 30 Rock both have that problem for me. I guess I’ll never get back to them!

I could never get committed to those shows, either. IMNSHO, shows like Seinfeld and 30 rock need something like a "prime episodes for syndication" section on Netflix. Instead of showing me every episode in order, show me ~40% of each season. Include the notable episodes, and a couple of random filler episodes for flavor.

Remove ads