• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Kobold Inconsistancy

Threedeesix

Explorer
I'm a little concerned about consistancy from monster to monster.

For instance 2nd level Kobold Archers have...

Easily Frightened
Fear effects get +2 attack against this creature
Fragile Confidence
Shortbow +5 attack until attacked

But 1st level Slingers do not, nor do Minions. These should be "racial"
and applied to all Kobolds, or at least all low level Kobolds.

Granted, the Kobold Archer is the only one I have seen with these "disadvantages"
and I don't really know where it came from, but I don't want D&D to turn into
chess, with each piece having its own special ability for no reason.

1st level Kobold slingers and Minions should not hold their ground when 2nd
level Kobold Archers run in fear.

I hope this is just an early pre-release misunderstanding.

Rod

Wormwood

Adventurer
Threedeesix said:
Granted, the Kobold Archer is the only one I have seen with these "disadvantages"
and I don't really know where it came from, but I don't want D&D to turn into
chess, with each piece having its own special ability for no reason.
Exception-based monster design.

hong

WotC's bitch
Wormwood said:
Exception-based monster design.
Nah, it's definitely a bug (albeit one unlikely to have a huge impact on actual play). Another one is that kobold minions have Int 9 and skirmishers have Int 6.

Dalamar

Adventurer
I think of it as the most cowardly kobolds becoming archers. Even the slingers are probably closer to the fighting. Makes perfect sense to me.

Threedeesix

Explorer
Dalamar said:
I think of it as the most cowardly kobolds becoming archers. Even the slingers are probably closer to the fighting. Makes perfect sense to me.

You know, I can even except that. But it doesn't make sense for the Minions, at least to me.

Rod

PS - They haven't killed my optimism yet. Just don't want to see this in every monster type.

lkjopajdowma

Explorer
Threedeesix said:
You know, I can even except that. But it doesn't make sense for the Minions, at least to me.

Rod

PS - They haven't killed my optimism yet. Just don't want to see this in every monster type.

It's possible the minions fight on because, well, they're minions, and they know that if they ran, they'd be killed by their masters for sure, so fighting the PCs gives them a slim chance at survival.

We haven't seen the "fluff" for the kobolds, so hopefully it's explained, but I've found my own justifications for it, even though I do think the slingers should probably have the same disadvantage.

hong

WotC's bitch
I think it's fair to say that if you found John Cooper's MM erratae to be valuable and important additions to your game, you're not going to be a fan of this new approach to monster design.

Remove ads