D&D General Kobold Press Going Down a Dark Road

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I feel errata is needlessly confusing in a relatively expensive product people might not want to re-buy. I know I don't want someone trying to trump me by showing me a web page on their phone, or a ' shudder' Tweet from Chris Perkins.
No, that's the same ipini9n that Perkins and Crawford have about Errata: thstwhy there are only 5 pages of it after 20 years, and of you look at it, it pretty much all clarifications of what was already implied in the text.

BrokenTwin

Biological Disaster
Would they even keep the pre-errata copies? I would imagine the old data files are just deleted, but I guess they could be archived. I still don't know that it would be "nice" if they offered them for sale. Seems more like a hassle if I want to by a 4e book and have to figure our which errata version I want to get.
I mean, I have plenty of purchases from DriveThruRPG that contain each version of that book, so if you want to use a pre-whatever errata book it's available. It's not like PDFs take up a lot of space.
Keeping physical stock of old versions would be nonsense, but with today's storage capabilities keeping old PDF versions available costs almost nothing.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Well, yeah. Welcome to being old. I don’t expect the new hotness to cater to me. I’ve long come to terms with the fact I’m no longer the prime target demographic for…well, anything anymore.
Even when I was young, the new hotness didn't cater to me. 😕 I guess it did a good job preparing me for old age and being out of touch. :)
But complaining that they are making changes to attract young people at the expense of us old folk would be like me screaming about the lack of hair metal on my MTV…:)
For what other reason is there to watch MTV these days?

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I expect the majority of existing players to move on to 6e next year, mostly because that's what people do. When that happens, there will be far fewer 2014 5e players available.

But thanks for reinforcing my concern that the game I love has moved on from me, and that's apparently a good thing I should embrace.
More like an unfortunate reality you should accept. I find I'm in a similar boat, except that it is more me moving on from D&D. I'm kinda reliving what I went through in the late 80s when I was looking for something other than D&D. Regardless of whether the group leaves you or you leave the group, the breakup can be tough. I guess I'm fortunate in that I haven't had an issue finding players to agree on other games. I see no point in disparaging OneDnD or its players, regardless of whether I end up playing it or not.

teitan

Legend
He's not claiming it, thst is a direct quote from their Black Flag design blog. It's very hostile and weird.
I think it's poorly worded and banking on 5e players doing what 3.5 players did when 4e came out and bought out most of the 3.5 stock of core books that could be found in most places making costs go way up on those books for a long time in secondary markets. I know I sold mine for $80 a piece about 6 months after 4e came out. With WOTC playing the shell game with 4e and having shown signs of the shell game with the OGL for a few weeks, KP probably drafted this and it was exactly what everyone was thinking and that 1D&D was going to be like 4e. 1D&D hasn't exactly been greeted enthusiastically either.

dave2008

Legend
I mean, I have plenty of purchases from DriveThruRPG that contain each version of that book, so if you want to use a pre-whatever errata book it's available. It's not like PDFs take up a lot of space.
Keeping physical stock of old versions would be nonsense, but with today's storage capabilities keeping old PDF versions available costs almost nothing.
I realize it can be done, but why would you do it is the bigger question. It seems to me this is a really odd thing to be discussing.

dave2008

Legend
You shouldn't have to convert anything if its still the same edition.
I don't really want to wade into this discussion with you again as we are not going to agree or convince each other. However, I think this is not an useful standard. Each edition of the game has produced material during that edition that would require some "conversion" to use. If you go by this definition, then we are way past 5th edition.

Personally, I agree with someone else on these forums who pointed out that using the term "edition" is just the wrong way to look at it. We should look at it as different games. Therefore, I think their analysis was more accurate:

1e -2e: Different editions of the same game
3e: New game
3e-3.5: Different editions of the same game
4e: New game
4e-Essentials (4.5e): different editions of the same game
5e: New game
5e-1D&D (5.5e): different editions of the same game

Last edited:

Remove ads