Kobold Press' MIDGARD Campaign Setting For 5E & Pathfinder

Over on Kickstarter, Kobold Press has launched an updated version of their Midgard campaign setting for D&D 5th Edition and the Pathfinder RPG. It's already funded, and consists of a 300+ page campaign setting book, plus separate supplemental books for each game system, and a book of short 5E adventures. For those not already familiar with Midgard, it has been around for a few years in various incarnations, and describes itself as "a world of dark roads and deep magic, firmly rooted in European myths and legends". You'll find the Kickstarter here.

Over on Kickstarter, Kobold Press has launched an updated version of their Midgard campaign setting for D&D 5th Edition and the Pathfinder RPG. It's already funded, and consists of a 300+ page campaign setting book, plus separate supplemental books for each game system, and a book of short 5E adventures. For those not already familiar with Midgard, it has been around for a few years in various incarnations, and describes itself as "a world of dark roads and deep magic, firmly rooted in European myths and legends". You'll find the Kickstarter here.

midgard.jpeg

There are a few options for backers. Most people seem to be going for the 5E Basic Books Combo for $80 so far, which gets you the campaign setting hardcover, the Heroes Handbook hardcover, and the PDF versions of each. There's a lot more info about Midgard over here on Kobold Press' website.

Although it is pathfinder, the crunch is pretty low (like the main book will be on this campaign) but Southlands is one of the best books I have had the pleasure to read. Very inspiring for a campaign, even if you don't use Midgard. So if this re-issue of the main campaign book is to that level, just WOW.

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
Mmmm I am certainly thinking about those hard cover 5E books... Do I have any Christmas money left over, and will my GF let me spend it on this?

Time will tell!

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I thought about it for a bit and then ended up pledging. Might end up being a nice christmas present to myself at the end of the year.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
As someone who owns the previous Midgard book, but plays 5E, what makes it worth backing this Kickstarter? I'm on the fence at the moment.

Well, there are two books here, one for the setting and one for player options; you can get the rulebook without the setting book. Also, a book of short adventures.

On the other hand, they are pulling a metaplot and advancing the timeline ten years, and exploring some new corners of the map. And since they are on track to burn through the stretch goals in like one or two days, who knows where it will go...

MagicSN

First Post
Hmmm... are they aware that regarding RPG the name
Midgard is already taken? Midgard is the oldest
german RPG system (over 25 years old, not D&D bases,
but an own system, its default campaign actually
basing on a tabletop hame a year or such older
than D&D, Midgard 5th edition - not related to
5e in any ways - was released i think 1-2 years ago).
It is european style, and only available in German.

Variss

Explorer
Hmmm... are they aware that regarding RPG the name
Midgard is already taken? Midgard is the oldest
german RPG system (over 25 years old, not D&D bases,
but an own system, its default campaign actually
basing on a tabletop hame a year or such older
than D&D, Midgard 5th edition - not related to
5e in any ways - was released i think 1-2 years ago).
It is european style, and only available in German.

I doubt there is any risk of a trademark/copyright fight over a word from Norse Mythology dating back to the expansion of the Roman Empire.

MagicSN

First Post
Hehe, you are right on that. I meant less about trademark, but that Midgard (at least over here) is a pretty well-known RPG system (after all, it is one of the first RPG systems ;-) ).

Despite that thinking about doing a pledge for this "second" Midgard for 5e, sounds pretty interesting!

Remove ads

Remove ads