D&D 5E Kobolds are also from the Feywild now?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
do you think all this First World stuff affects Theros or Ravnica? Or even Ravenloft? I don’t see how it possibly could
I mean, they do actually touch on how it does for those worlds, briefly, but again in context of "here are some ideas for your game!"

Faolyn

(she/her)
They were fun to read. I got really into D&D specifically because of all those campaign setting stories, and the detailed worlds. Then they just decided those stories were over, and replaced them with stuff I don't like as much. Simple as that, really.
But... that's exactly what happens with stories. Especially those that are written by multiple people over the course of years or decades. They go off in different directions, try new things, get told in different styles as time passes and old writers leave and new writers join, and, eventually, they end. It's how stories work.

Faolyn

(she/her)
One book is not a “so excited about” especially when it’s a poem on two pages that would be the equivalent of a paragraph or two. It’s not that big a part of the book. It’s no different than devoting a paragraph or two to Maglubiyet’s version of how the world was created or the elven creation myths vs the Dwarven myths. Just some people getting their Bill Clinton’s knotted up over a new chunk of lore after the whole “there isn’t a canon comment” which wasn’t “if it wasn’t published in 5e it isn’t canon” or “if we say it it is canon”. It was of the spirit of “your game is canon” and they clarified that about a dozen times.
Well, that's a bit of slang I haven't heard before...

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
So your campaign is 100% beholden to all the novels and contradictory lore and video games going back almost 50 years then? How do you do it without going insane when your players do something that is later nullified by the “official” content? My god… what if one of your players killed Driz’zt and a new novel comes out??? Are you going to Roy Thomas it and do flashbacks about how he got better and it’s all good and their adventure didn’t happen that way???
Why is it always the extremes? I liked the old lore and wish it had continued, and don't generally care for the new lore. Your disrespectful sarcasm isn't appreciated.

Micah Sweet

No, fluff can be easily changed and ignored. I do it all the time. D&D is one of the easiest games to do that because very little of the mechanics are tied to the fluff. Even goblins being Fey, easy to ignore as written.

do you think all this First World stuff affects Theros or Ravnica? Or even Ravenloft? I don’t see how it possibly could.
Of course i can and do ignore it. I just rather wish I didn't have to ignore just about all of it.

Micah Sweet

But... that's exactly what happens with stories. Especially those that are written by multiple people over the course of years or decades. They go off in different directions, try new things, get told in different styles as time passes and old writers leave and new writers join, and, eventually, they end. It's how stories work.
If they ended that history and told the history of a new world, that would be fine. Great even. But they didn't do that. They blew it up and started telling the story again differently.

Plenty of decades-long stories are continuing to this day. Star Wars, Star Trek, Marvel Comics, to name a few.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Plenty of decades-long stories are continuing to this day. Star Wars, Star Trek, Marvel Comics, to name a few.

Did Marvel rewrite it's history when Sentry appeared? Did the Doomworld (or whatever it was called) rewrite tons from the Living Tribunal on down? (Neither as big as what DC does regularly, but still wiping out or changing a lot).

Faolyn

(she/her)
Nothing. I just feel sad about all those stories being over, replaced piecemeal, and hearing people exult in how happy they are that they're gone.
Has someone broken into your home, removed your books, and put new books into their place? Has someone hacked your computer and switched out your pdfs? Did someone cast modify memory on you to alter your memories of the lore?

No?

Then your stories aren't being replaced. You still have them. You can still think about them, you can still read them, you can still play them. You may not get much new stuff you didn't like, but think about all the people who didn't have much old stuff that they liked. I mean, you just told @teitan that you wish you didn't have to ignore "just about all of" the new canon. If I were running in the Realms or Greyhawk or Dragonlance, I'd have to ignore just about all of the existing canon to make a setting I like. I had to ignore about half of the canon in Ravenloft, and I love that setting.

If they ended that history and told the history of a new world, that would be fine. Great even. But they didn't do that. They blew it up and started telling the story again differently.

Ad all of those stories have had huge rewrites. Star Wars is now ignoring the EU, despite the outcries of the fans. When Roddenberry started up TNG, he deliberately ignored everything in TOS except for the movies and a couple of species, and it took a long time to start bringing in some of those old elements back. It took until Enterprise to remember that Andorians and Tellerites, and I think Orions, still existed. And Star Trek is famous for ignoring its own continuity and rewriting huge parts of it (remember living through the Eugenics Wars? And Worf doesn't want to talk about what happened with the Klingons. And neither does the Discovery crew.) And there's the Abrams Trek. Marvel often ignores, rewrites, and blows up its own continuity.
And, of course, DC had Crisis on Infinite Earths (and Infinite Crisis--which always gets my Dad annoyed, because it should be Crises--and New 52).

Edit: I really gotta stop starting my sentences with the word and.

Micah Sweet

Did Marvel rewrite it's history when Sentry appeared? Did the Doomworld (or whatever it was called) rewrite tons from the Living Tribunal on down? (Neither as big as what DC does regularly, but still wiping out or changing a lot).
The Sentry thing was a massive retcon, but it was explained in universe and didn't invalidate the past. The God Doom Battleworld story also didn't invalidate the past, and the world was pretty much the same when it was over.

Rewriting history, such that events didn't happen, is what I have a problem with. Again, if you want to write new stories not beholden to the past, make a new setting and write stories there.

Remove ads