(KotS) Normal Cover vs. Superior Cover

thewok

First Post
Two types of cover and no definitions in the rules.

In 3.5, there was only cover. But, what does cover mean in 4E? A low wall? Monsters between you and the target? How do we know what is superior and what is just normal? Height/width?

Egres

First Post
thewok said:
In 3.5, there was only cover.
"Only" cover?
SRD said:
Soft Cover

Creatures, even your enemies, can provide you with cover against ranged attacks, giving you a +4 bonus to AC. However, such soft cover provides no bonus on Reflex saves, nor does soft cover allow you to make a Hide check.

Total Cover

If you don’t have line of effect to your target he is considered to have total cover from you. You can’t make an attack against a target that has total cover.

Varying Degrees of Cover

In some cases, cover may provide a greater bonus to AC and Reflex saves. In such situations the normal cover bonuses to AC and Reflex saves can be doubled (to +8 and +4, respectively). A creature with this improved cover effectively gains improved evasion against any attack to which the Reflex save bonus applies. Furthermore, improved cover provides a +10 bonus on Hide checks.

thewok

First Post
Soft cover: Cover provided by beings instead of fixed objects/barriers.

Total cover: No line of sight. If something is completely covered, you cannot attack it. There is no modifier to an attack, because an attack cannot be made.

"Improved Cover": Again, no definition. Is it made of a harder substance, like metal instead of wood?

So, yes. I stick to my original statement. There was just cover, and it gave a +4 to AC. Soft, hard, whatever. Except in this nebulous time when it's somehow improved and that modifier doubles. Of course, "improved" has no definition, and we're back to square one.

Jhaelen

First Post
thewok said:
So, yes. I stick to my original statement. There was just cover, and it gave a +4 to AC. Soft, hard, whatever. Except in this nebulous time when it's somehow improved and that modifier doubles. Of course, "improved" has no definition, and we're back to square one.
I think you may want to define your definition of 'definition'...

Enoch

Explorer
It's in KotS, just not explained in depth.

Thankfully, there are charts!

Cover -2
Superior Cover -5

Concealment -2
Can't find the effects of total concealment though, besides no line of sight.

EDIT: Sorry they are penalties to hit, not bonuses to AC.

Last edited:

thewok said:
Soft cover: Cover provided by beings instead of fixed objects/barriers.

Total cover: No line of sight. If something is completely covered, you cannot attack it. There is no modifier to an attack, because an attack cannot be made.

"Improved Cover": Again, no definition. Is it made of a harder substance, like metal instead of wood?

You seem to be labouring under the impression that there is some shame in admitting to a mistake.

Remove ads