log in or register to remove this ad

 

Kulan: Knightfall's Crisis in Bluffside Game [IC]

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
THE UNDERCITY:
Tuck sighs despite himself.

”Legend Lore, yes, that’s it. A shame, but perhaps by the description we have, you may know more than us, regardless,” the kobold replies, and he tells the bard about what the injured young guard has seen.

He then looks at Akos, sensing his companion knows of at least one person that the kovfe maker mentioned, with a peculiarly arched ridge above his left eye...

OOC: I’m assuming he petted Mutt the riding dog, or did I miss the arrival of a dire cat on the stage? Mutt sure wouldn’t...
"It sounds like the young man had quite the fright," Jam muses. "To me, it sounds like he encountered some sort of mossy troll or shambling mound. Yes, more likely the latter, I think. Of course, anything is possible. That part of the Gardens is a lot 'darker' than most people realize. Young lovers and happy families do not go into those overgrown thickets. There is a lot of wildness in there. If you try to hunt it, be very careful. Hmm, there is one more thing it could have been, if it was as large as you say." He shakes his head. "But that is so unlikely. Still, it could have been one of the treefolk, a treant. But I've never heard of one of them living in a city before. No, it's more likely to have been a very large shambling mound or a troll or ogre covered in moss. Hmm, or maybe a half-plant of some kind. Such things are rare but possibe."

OOC: The dire cat is a regular at Jam's cafe. It is sort of a unofficial pet. Mutt and the cat have met before and that first encounter didn't go well, for either of them. Now, the two animals tend to tolerate each other but just barely. If they were left alone, it would turn into a chase through the market.

"Thank you for the information."
He adds to Tucks description as he can before returning to the matter of the casters.
"I've heard about the loremaster obviously, but I never met him in my time here. Master wizard is obviously a famous personage. But I've never heard about Master Mortin. Where could one find such a person?

And when we're at the topic of monsters...you wouldn't happen to know something about the trolls, would you? It seems my learning is lacking in the department of trollage."
"As I said, it could be a troll, but it could just as likely been a ogre that got into the Gardens somehow. It likely wouldn't be one of larger troll species. Regular trolls tend to live in the coldest of mountain ranges but there are some in the mountains surrounding Bluffside and along the bluff itself. More likely is a forest troll. They're less vicious but more intelligent and are smaller in stature. Yes, a forest troll could live in there unseen by all but the most observant of tenders of the Garden. There is no way a mountain troll could go unobserved in the Gardens, unless it was a hunchbacked runt. Very unlikely. No, if it is a giant of some sort, then I think you're probably dealing with an ogre with a bad case of greenrot."

He looks back to Tuck. "Your description makes me suspect an ogre, if it isn't a plant creature. If it is a plant monster then it's likely a large shambling mound. If it is that, lightning won't hurt it. Remember that."

(Someone who has a handy diceroller please gimme a d20 roll, and I'll look up my character sheet and tell ye GM what to add to it. Sorry to hear about your OOC woes, dude; glad to have you back.)
(Uh oh, I've not been getting notifcations here. I'll be back to check on things in a few days, as I unfortunately have to get to work now, and am not sure when I'll have time to get online again; tomorrow is possible but far from guaranteed.)
@Knightfall Okay, I don't have any ranks in K:Local, but my very kind proxy Mr. Hawke did roll a 19 on my behalf, so if this is "common knowledge" (DC 10 or less), then I've definitely got it covered by more than 5, even before you add my +5 intelligence modifier. (Which is a lot more unusual here in 3E than it would be over in 5E, where humans just have to pass level 4 and boost that 17 they rolled all the way up to the highest possible value).
OOC: Relgar met Master Hassenforth with Big Tim and the previous PCs in the old Growers' Gate tower where Phelix had written his evil scrawls on the inside walls of the tower. Master Hassenforth was one of the people brought in to take a look at the insane script, and he gave some insights as to what he thought and who might be able to help the PCs get through the portal into the madman's enclave. The idea of a legend lore never came up with him, so Relgar isn't sure if the man could cast it.

(Eclipso did note to Relgar that Master Hassenforth seemed quite powerful when Relgar and the others were dealing with him.)
 

log in or register to remove this ad

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
OLD CITY:
Tim smiles, and offers, "Quite the opposite, my lord. I admire your pragmatism. You don't mince words, and you mean what you say. That's a rare quality in this day and age. And I'd like to offer you my services, once the renegade has been dealt with; I would consider it an honor to be of service to you. I can go as far afield in search of this cure as you need me to; I'm no stranger to travel."

Tim bows politely.
"Hmm, I will consider your offer," the lord replies. "If I'm still around once you've finished your current service, we shall discuss it, over dinner of course."

Custodio salutes the old soldier and tells him he'll pass on Lord Raupach's message to the Lord Commander.

Custodio and Big Tim leave him relaxing in his chair and head out of the compound and back into the wide and packed streets of Old City. The streets are more crowded than before as the day turns to the afternoon. Custodio suggests stopping off at Oakfirst Manor to get a bite to eat before heading out of the district to New City and then down into the Undercity. The halfling butler named Carter greets you nearly as soon as you enter; it's almost as if he sensed your arrival, although he asks where the others are. He has the table set out with tons of food and quickly moves pack some of it up once he learns where the two young warriors are off to next.

"I should also tell you that I received a message from your temple, Master Custodio. Sir Silvon is looking for you and he seems quite insistent that you report to him immediately." He hands the young avenger the message and Custodio reads it with a blank expression.

"Now, of all times. Bah, politics. I've been sending him my updates regularly. Why do I have o waste time with this now." He sighs and shakes his head. "I might have to catch up with you," he says to Tim. "But... you might get lost down there. It can be tight quarters and there are scoundrels just waiting to pluck a purse or slip a dagger. No, I think I should get you there and then go see Sir Silvon."

Elsewhere:
Breva listens attentively and with mounting anger at Sir Silverton's words. "A fiend of the first order to be sure." After more consideration he adds. "The Long Con, so this man is a planner, a deep thinker, he muses.

"It sounds as if the city has been forced to just react to his dark plots, with little time to consider what his aims might be. I wonder what he could be seeking? I will not underestimate him or his followers in my quest."

"By your leave I will set off for the old city and Custodio Vecchi now. The Purifier guide my steps."
He bows and sets off at a brisk pace if there is nothing else from Sir Silverton.
It doesn't take Breva long to find his way to the gates of Old City and after he asks the gate guards for the whereabouts of Custodio, he is quickly told that the young man is likely at a old house called Oakfirst Manor.

"If he's not there, then the Lord Commander's staff will likely know. Just show them these credentials, and they'll point you in the right direction, " a young female guard of tall, gnomish stock tells Breva. "Ask for either Carter or Lavia. When you find him, he won't be wearing his guard uniform, however. He's persona-non-grata among the Elite right now, but rest of us Regulars are keeping him and his allies in our prayers."
 

Scotley

Adventurer
Breva takes the credentials with a nod. "I am glad to hear you haven't given up on Custodio. I hope I can help him return to his duties. Thank you for your help."

He moves off smartly and soon finds himself at the door of Oakfirst Manor. "Breva Sciarra. I am here to see Custodio Vecchi." He presents the credentials and smiles politely.
 

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
THE UNDERCITY:
"As I said, it could be a troll, but it could just as likely been a ogre that got into the Gardens somehow. It likely wouldn't be one of larger troll species. Regular trolls tend to live in the coldest of mountain ranges but there are some in the mountains surrounding Bluffside and along the bluff itself. More likely is a forest troll. They're less vicious but more intelligent and are smaller in stature. Yes, a forest troll could live in there unseen by all but the most observant of tenders of the Garden. There is no way a mountain troll could go unobserved in the Gardens, unless it was a hunchbacked runt. Very unlikely. No, if it is a giant of some sort, then I think you're probably dealing with an ogre with a bad case of greenrot."

OOC:
(Eclipso did note to Relgar that Master Hassenforth seemed quite powerful when Relgar and the others were dealing with him.)
"Thank you about the analysis, lets hope it is something more benign than at troll. And you didn't mention how we can find Master Harvess Mortin...if you don't mind, we won't bother you much longer."
 

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Tuck holds on to Mutt's fur as he notices the dire cat so close to the dog. Not that the little kobold stand any chance to hold back the canine should it decide to move up to its feline adversary, but the gesture calms Tuck down a bit.

"So an ogre or a troll, or perhaps a plant creature of sorts. Not really my forte, those wilderness creatures. But you're pretty sure it's not some monster of legend intend on world destruction or something? That's a relief, I guess."

He nods to Akos. "Indeed, we need to report back and see if we can find someone to cast that spell. Just to be sure, of course."
 

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
OLD CITY:
Breva takes the credentials with a nod. "I am glad to hear you haven't given up on Custodio. I hope I can help him return to his duties. Thank you for your help."

He moves off smartly and soon finds himself at the door of Oakfirst Manor. "Breva Sciarra. I am here to see Custodio Vecchi." He presents the credentials and smiles politely.
A middle-aged halfling woman comes to the door and looks at you quizzically. "Is Mr. Vecchi expecting you? What business do you have with him?" Then she notes Breva's attire and decides to let him into the the manor's anteroom. "Mr. Vecchi is reading the last message Sir Silvon sent him. We are sorry if your commander feels slighted. The previous two messages he sent went astray, it seems. One never arrived and might have been stolen between the Temple District and here. The second one was forwarded to another household where Mr. Vecchi and his companions moved to for a short time. I don't think he ever saw it." She pauses and bows to Breva. "Let your goodly lord and master known that we apologize for any inconvenience this has caused him and Mr. Vecchi."

Another middle-aged halfling enters the anteroom through the double doors in front of Breva. The halfling man pushes open the doors with ease. He stops just past the door and looks at you calmly. Two men step through the door behind him. One is obviously Custodio Vecchi; his attire is that of an adventuring priest although his clothes are muted for one of his station. The other man is tall and fit. He almost has to duck his head to come through the doorway.

"Lavia, who is this man?"

"He says his name is Breva Sciarra. I think he is from the Purifier temple. He wishes to see Mr. Vecchi, so I assume it has to do with the lost messages from Sir Silvon."

"Lost messages? There were others besides this one," Custodio asks holding up the parchment.

The halfling man sighs. "Yes, it seems your commander has been trying to get a hold of you for some time now. We're not entirely sure what happened to the other messages. Someone may have intercepted them."

"And my reports to Sir Silvon?"

"They were sent out but I haven't been able to determine if he's received them or not."

Custodio sighs and shakes his head. "No wonder he wants me to come see him. He must be irate by now." He looks at Breva. "I do not think I know you, sir. I am the person you seek and this is my friend and ally, Tim Valencia. There is little time to detour to the Temple District; we are trying to get ahead of a renegade sorcerer who has caused a lot of heartache to the city. We have allies in the Undercity seeking someone who cast cast a legend lore spell. That's where we're headed right now." He pauses. "Hmm, Sir Silvon should know about the lost messages."

"I will go to see him and apologize personally for the lost messages," the halfling man assures. "Do not let this stop you from your mission."

"Thank you, Carter," Custodio replies. "I hop that will be enough for him." He looks at Breva. "I'm sorry you came for nothing. But, as long as you're here, what news from the temple?"

UNDERCITY:
"Thank you about the analysis, lets hope it is something more benign than at troll. And you didn't mention how we can find Master Harvess Mortin...if you don't mind, we won't bother you much longer."
"Harvess Mortin runs a magic shop, called Pinnacle, out on Sordadon. If you head to the Cavern Harbor, you should be able to take a boat out to that floating morass. His shop is in the Harbor District. It's a two-story tower and isn't hard to find." He scratches the dire cats chin and the large feline purrs loudly. "While it might be convenient for you to get there from here, you should probably try speaking to Master Hassenforth in the Temple District first. Mortin isn't going to help you for free but he'll probably be able to cast the spell or have a scroll you can buy. If you go to see him, be careful. He's got a reputation and most of it isn't good."

Tuck holds on to Mutt's fur as he notices the dire cat so close to the dog. Not that the little kobold stand any chance to hold back the canine should it decide to move up to its feline adversary, but the gesture calms Tuck down a bit.

"So an ogre or a troll, or perhaps a plant creature of sorts. Not really my forte, those wilderness creatures. But you're pretty sure it's not some monster of legend intend on world destruction or something? That's a relief, I guess."

He nods to Akos. "Indeed, we need to report back and see if we can find someone to cast that spell. Just to be sure, of course."
"Oh, I'm fairly sure you don't have to worry about some sort of legendary creature lurking in the Gardens. While it's a big place, it's not that big. Use caution. Even a shambling mound can be a nasty opponent." Jam looks at Tuck. "I hope you're going with more than just the three of you." He looks at Relgar whose been sitting quietly this entire time. "He doesn't say much, does he?" He whispers to Tuck.
 

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
"It's your charm that has enchanted him, I'm sure," Tuck jokes, winking at Relgar - which appears as nothing more than blinking with the one eye that is visible from the side due to the draconic shape of the kobold's head.

"Let's return to the others for our findings, then," the little urban ranger says to his companions. "And bring them along, because as Jam pointed out, I don't want to face that shambling troll-ogre with just the three of us."

Grinning at the minstrel, Tuck says, "Thanks again, my friend. How much for the drinks and the conversation?"
 


Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
"Thank you for your help, master Jam. We'll let you know what we find. May be good for a story or two."

"Returning to the others...boring. We should have some way to update each other and meet directly in the Gardens." Akos thinks as they walk back
 

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Tim bows, and says, "I am pleased and honored to meet you, I am new here in town, so you'll probably hear me saying that quite a bit, but it is true, nevertheless. I guess you could say that I am working for Commander Oakfirst, although I am not exactly a mercenary. I am a knight, and a soldier, and since I am so far from my homeland, I have had to find some sort of gainful employment, serving a just and benevolent cause; and at the moment, that cause involves finding this renegade sorcerer, and putting an end to his conniving and treachery."
 

Scotley

Adventurer
"A pleasure to meet you both. I am but new come to the city and as your canny Halfling has surmised in service to the purifier. I have come to lend aid to Sir Silvon and the city." He turns to Carter. "Please let Sir Silvon know that I arrived without incident," and then back to Custodio. "And sir if you'll permit me, I would like to accompany you to the undercity. If you are trying to get ahead of this sorcerer then that is where I wish to be as well." He give an airy wave. "Alas, as I am new to the city I can share little news of the temple other than to say you have been missed."
 

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Undercity/New City:
"It's your charm that has enchanted him, I'm sure," Tuck jokes, winking at Relgar - which appears as nothing more than blinking with the one eye that is visible from the side due to the draconic shape of the kobold's head.

"Let's return to the others for our findings, then," the little urban ranger says to his companions. "And bring them along, because as Jam pointed out, I don't want to face that shambling troll-ogre with just the three of us."

Grinning at the minstrel, Tuck says, "Thanks again, my friend. How much for the drinks and the conversation?"
"The conversation is always free for you, Tuck," Jam says with a wink. "Normally, sixteen silvers for the three drinks, but for you and your friends, only twelve."

"Thank you for your help, master Jam. We'll let you know what we find. May be good for a story or two."

"Returning to the others...boring. We should have some way to update each other and meet directly in the Gardens." Akos thinks as they walk back
Relgar tags along, looking sleepily checked-out.
"If you tell it, I'll write it down and create a song for it," Jam toasts Akos with his third cup of of the Buzz brew liquid."

After leaving The Bard's, it doesn't take long for the trio of adventurers to make their way out of the Coach & Six Market and back to the steam-powered elevators in the Undercity's Cavern Harbor. There is only a short wait to get on one of the massive lifts, which carries them back up to the streets of New City.

Once in the wide, nearly-deserted streets of that district does Tuck's senses go off. It seems the three adventurers have picked up a tail. Two lithe, shadowy figures stalk them while trying to stay out of sight. The urban ranger easily spots them, but he cannot see their features. The two sneaks are wearing deep cloaks with the hoods up. They seem intent on following the group. What could be their intent?

OOC: I rolled a spot check for both Akos and Tuck. Tuck sees them but Akos doesn't. Relgar is not looking for someone following him.


Old City:
Tim bows, and says, "I am pleased and honored to meet you, I am new here in town, so you'll probably hear me saying that quite a bit, but it is true, nevertheless. I guess you could say that I am working for Commander Oakfirst, although I am not exactly a mercenary. I am a knight, and a soldier, and since I am so far from my homeland, I have had to find some sort of gainful employment, serving a just and benevolent cause; and at the moment, that cause involves finding this renegade sorcerer, and putting an end to his conniving and treachery."
"A pleasure to meet you both. I am but new come to the city and as your canny Halfling has surmised in service to the purifier. I have come to lend aid to Sir Silvon and the city." He turns to Carter. "Please let Sir Silvon know that I arrived without incident," and then back to Custodio. "And sir if you'll permit me, I would like to accompany you to the undercity. If you are trying to get ahead of this sorcerer then that is where I wish to be as well." He give an airy wave. "Alas, as I am new to the city I can share little news of the temple other than to say you have been missed."
"I will do as you ask," Carter replies with a simple bow.

"If you want to come with us, I won't stop you. We can use all the help we can get," Custodio replies. "Let's get going."

The three men step out into the hustle and bustle of Old City and make their way to the gate that leads out of the district and onto the road that leads to New City. The crowds have grown congested and the district is in full swing. It would be hard to navigate through the throng if Big Tim wasn't so, imposing. Even the haughtiest of the nobles step back as the big mn moves through the crowd. He keeps a careful watch out for trouble but doesn't see anything or anyone that might threaten them. Custodio walks alongside him with Breva watching their backs.

Only minutes from the gate, does Breva see them. Two men in cloaks that have been trailing them since the last corner they turned. Who are they? Were they waiting for his companions just outside the manor? There intent seems clear although they don't move in to attack. Could these be the villains causing so much trouble? Breva cannot tell how well armed or armored they are under those cloaks but the two men look bulky.

OOC: I rolled a spot check for both Breva and Tim. Breva sees them but Tim doesn't. Custodio has his eyes forward, so he doesn't see them.
 

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
"Thank you for your generosity, Jam. A pleasure, as always," Tuck says to the bard as he produces one gold coin and two silvers from his pouch and leaves them on the table.

As they make their way up to New City, the kobold keeps talking to his companions conversationally.

"I like that Jam. He's a friendly fellow. Don't look, but we're being followed by two cloaked figures. Do you guys want to confront them, or do we try to shake them? I know a few shortcuts around here."

His tone never changes during his chat, but very carefully the kobold moves one hand to his crossbow while the other hand gently pats Mutt on his large back.

OOC: I'm fine with either fighting or running. We (Tuck, Akos and Relgar) are short on melee, though; it's a kobold urban ranger, a human wizard/paragon, and a human cloistered cleric/warlock. Plenty of firepower from afar, but up close, less so.
 

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
OOC: Diplomacy and/or intimidation. Akos would confront them with charm and similar efects, not threat of violence

Akos nods and smiles at Tuck.
"Friendly indeed. As for our other friends, it is probably better just to watch them. Now that we know they are there better not to lose them. I could persuade them to stop, but that way we don't know and cannot find out anything."
 

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Tuck nods, looking over at Relgar to see if he has other ideas.

"Let's move a little further then, I know a place where we can watch them approach while still having enough escape routes in case diplomacy fails."

He never changes his pace or tone.
 

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Akos nods at Tuck as if some decision has been reached (as indeed it has) and strides forward with some purpose. When Tuck indicates the place he motions for the rest of the group to stand aside (just in case) and stands looking back toward the shadowers.

As they near, he focuses on the one that seems dominant or simply the leading one and smiles. He approaches with his arms wide as his smile, staff held unthreateningly in one.

"Friends! Instead of following us around, what say you we sit down over a mug of your favorite poison..." he pauses "...not literally of course, and we talk about what you want to know? We will tell you where we're going and why. And you can tell us why is that fact so interesting. Come! Tuck, there must be a tavern here somewhere."

The lure of the fey is such that even if hadn't used magic, the effect is almost magical. Even the people he's not focusing on stop what they're doing and wish they're friends with the strange man.

Using his Charm person as spell-like ability (no somatic, no verbal :D ) on the leading follower - if he can see they are tiefling/aasimar/other non-charmable ignore this - as long as at least one is humanoid, use charm

Use diplomacy to improve the outlook
Diplomacy: 1D20+20 = [20]+20 = 40 -- oooo! timely! smile in megawatt range
 

Scotley

Adventurer
Breva keeps walking as if nothing is amiss, but he says softly to the men with him, "Two fellows in cloaks seem to be interested in us. Can't see how well armed or armored they are, but there is some bulk under the cloaks." He shurgs, "should we be worried or do you usually have an escort?" Though he tries to act natural, he can't help but check his sword once.
 

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Tim, who was letting his shield hang loosely on his arm, grabs the grip-strap, and casually tenses his arm, bringing Rizvan's shield to the proper "display" position. He does not yet reach for his sword. As they continue to walk, Tim says, "I am the escort. Those two are an unknown quantity. Be prepared to fight, but don't make a move until they do. Let's alter our route, and stroll towards a quiet alleyway, and see if they follow us. If they do, then we know they're up to no good. And we'll have a nice, secluded place in which to deal with them. We don't want any bystanders getting hurt."
 

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
"Thank you for your generosity, Jam. A pleasure, as always," Tuck says to the bard as he produces one gold coin and two silvers from his pouch and leaves them on the table.

As they make their way up to New City, the kobold keeps talking to his companions conversationally.

"I like that Jam. He's a friendly fellow. Don't look, but we're being followed by two cloaked figures. Do you guys want to confront them, or do we try to shake them? I know a few shortcuts around here."

His tone never changes during his chat, but very carefully the kobold moves one hand to his crossbow while the other hand gently pats Mutt on his large back.

OOC: I'm fine with either fighting or running. We (Tuck, Akos and Relgar) are short on melee, though; it's a kobold urban ranger, a human wizard/paragon, and a human cloistered cleric/warlock. Plenty of firepower from afar, but up close, less so.
OOC: Diplomacy and/or intimidation. Akos would confront them with charm and similar efects, not threat of violence

Akos nods and smiles at Tuck.
"Friendly indeed. As for our other friends, it is probably better just to watch them. Now that we know they are there better not to lose them. I could persuade them to stop, but that way we don't know and cannot find out anything."
Tuck nods, looking over at Relgar to see if he has other ideas.

"Let's move a little further then, I know a place where we can watch them approach while still having enough escape routes in case diplomacy fails."

He never changes his pace or tone.
Relgar seems lost in his own thoughts yet his eyes do flicker towards Tuck went the kobold mentions his name. He is aware of his companions but his absentee mind means he won't give them away to those following Akos, Tuck and himself.

Akos nods at Tuck as if some decision has been reached (as indeed it has) and strides forward with some purpose. When Tuck indicates the place he motions for the rest of the group to stand aside (just in case) and stands looking back toward the shadowers.
Witch Falcon Square behind them, the trio heads along the wide avenue of Dragontooth Walk. At the avenue turns to the right, Tuck leads his allies to an old two-story inn that looks quite cozy if not a bit underwhelming. The sign has a picture of a bow being drawn by an elf figure with the name Silverbow underneath it. Stepping through the door, the trio find themselves in a large common room. Tuck can see that Thorkell is working behind the bar while Katla serves a medium crowd, which is gathered primarily around the two fireplaces at either end of the inn. Tuck knows that the owners are likely around somewhere. The clanging of cooking can clearly be heard coming from the kitchen in the back. All the private rooms seem full as well.

The table closest to the bar is free as is the large table that seats six by the stairs that Tuck knows lead to the second floor of the Silverbow Inn. The trio take the table near the bar and wait for their shadows to enter.

The barman asks loudly, "I hope you're here to drink and eat. eh?"

Before Tuck can respond, the two sneaks enter the inn. They quickly spot Akos, Relgar, and Tuck. Relgar has his head down in his calculations while Tuck looks at Thorkell while keeping one eye on the door. Akos tries to be nonchalant. The two sneaks sit down at the table for six across the inn. They move carefully and with a deadly grace. The taller of the two is a woman while her shorter companion is a wiry man with a huge nose. Both sit with their backs to the stairs and their eyes trained squarely on the trio of adventurers.

"What will you have?" Katla asks them. The woman answers her quietly without glancing at her. The malice in her eyes is unmistakable as she looks right at Relgar. The man tries to keep his eyes down and shifts uncomfortably in his chair. His eyes dart to the door and then back to Tuck and the others.


SILVERBOW INN
Silverbow Inn_First Floor.jpg



As they near, he focuses on the one that seems dominant or simply the leading one and smiles. He approaches with his arms wide as his smile, staff held unthreateningly in one.

"Friends! Instead of following us around, what say you we sit down over a mug of your favorite poison..." he pauses "...not literally of course, and we talk about what you want to know? We will tell you where we're going and why. And you can tell us why is that fact so interesting. Come! Tuck, there must be a tavern here somewhere."

The lure of the fey is such that even if hadn't used magic, the effect is almost magical. Even the people he's not focusing on stop what they're doing and wish they're friends with the strange man.

Using his Charm person as spell-like ability (no somatic, no verbal :D ) on the leading follower - if he can see they are tiefling/aasimar/other non-charmable ignore this - as long as at least one is humanoid, use charm

Use diplomacy to improve the outlook
Diplomacy: 1D20+20 = [20]+20 = 40 -- oooo! timely! smile in megawatt range
OOC: Holy moly! What a roll!

Akos isn't sure if it is his words or his magic, but the woman's eyes flicker in amusement and she pulls back her hood to reveal a beautiful face, pale skin, and long red hair. She motion for the Loremaster to sit. Her companion is slack-jawed. He glances around Akos at the others and then shrugs. He pulls off his hood but keeps one eye on the door. His features are grotesque to say the least. He has no hair and his face is bumpy.

"My master didn't tell me I'd be dealing with someone so well spoken," she says. "If your kobold friend wishes to join us, I would be fine with that. But I'd rather not have him sit here." She points at Relgar. "He is a troublemker." Her eyes flash at Akos. "Are you a troublemaker too, hmm?"

"Teresa, what are you doing? You say too much." The man's throat whistles as he speaks. "Yes, we might be able to negotiate with them but don't get weird on me."

"Quiet Shylock!" She snaps at him. "I'm in command here! Go tell the crew to find the others!"

"But-"

"Do as I say."

He sighs and gets up to head out of the inn.

"Now, where were we?" Teresa coos at Akos. She gives Katla a dirty look as the woman brings the woman her drink and Shylock's.

Breva keeps walking as if nothing is amiss, but he says softly to the men with him, "Two fellows in cloaks seem to be interested in us. Can't see how well armed or armored they are, but there is some bulk under the cloaks." He shurgs, "should we be worried or do you usually have an escort?" Though he tries to act natural, he can't help but check his sword once.
Tim, who was letting his shield hang loosely on his arm, grabs the grip-strap, and casually tenses his arm, bringing Rizvan's shield to the proper "display" position. He does not yet reach for his sword. As they continue to walk, Tim says, "I am the escort. Those two are an unknown quantity. Be prepared to fight, but don't make a move until they do. Let's alter our route, and stroll towards a quiet alleyway, and see if they follow us. If they do, then we know they're up to no good. And we'll have a nice, secluded place in which to deal with them. We don't want any bystanders getting hurt."
"We should be cautious," Custodio adds. "I could signal for the guards, but since I'm not one of them right now, they just might try to arrest us all and sort it out later."

The three adventurers weave through the crowds with Tim leading the way. It doesn't take long to find an isolated alleyway near Bluffside old theater, which out in the middle of a large square. Due to the recent murders in the district, the Theater on the Bluff hasn't seen a lot of activity lately. Its doors are shuttered and the usual throng of onlookers at the jugglers that would be performing outside the theater are no where in sight. Still, the square is active with the crowds of young nobles going about their day and the customers of high-price merchants selling their wares. A handful of guards patrol the square but pay the trio no mind and don't notice the men following the adventurers.

The Alley.jpg


The alley is long and sits against one of the district's interior walls. Several escape routes keep the three adventurers from being boxed in by the men. At first, they don't appear. As you loiter behind the corner a three-story shop that is closed, the two men appear together from the opposite side of the building. They see you waiting for them. One of them curses but they don't run. Instead, they shake off their cloaks and draw their longswords. Each one wears a full suit of chainmail with a spiked gauntlet on their off-hands and a dagger at their belt. Their armor is cover in black tabards with a sigil mark on it.

"Surrender or die," the curser growls. "We will not give you another chance to live!"

"Crap," Custodio spits on the ground. "More of Waldo's damn Loyalists."

"Do not call him that!" The other shouts. It seems like Phelix and his cronies have heard about the Renegade's new nickname.

OOC: Roll Initiative. | Custodio > 1d20+2=22 Whoa!
 

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Outside the Theater on the Bluff:
Vinccenzo d'Lucio can't believe his luck. As a menber of the Sectarian Guard, he has been favored in the Wizard District. Yet, one mistake and he ends up pulling guard duty in Old City. The assignment is terrible and the Bluffside Regulars can't stand him. Walking the perimeter, he notes three men heading towards an older section of the district. One of them is very tall and decked out like a noble. The other looks like a priest while the third is dressed all in black. They don't seem to out of place but someone is following them.

Two men in hoods and cloaks follow them down the street. The trio goes one way. The two in cloaks stop and then walk around the other side of the building. Soon all five of the men are out of sight.

What to do? Vinccenzo's not being paid to break up fights, only guard the theater. That's for the other guards to do but they're no where in sight.
 

Advertisement2

Advertisement4

Top