Kulan: Knightfall's Crisis in Bluffside Game [IC]

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
"Would your joining in our quest and vanquishing the evil festering here regain your honor?" Akos asks the druid.

And turning to Custodio, in Ticin
"Cast the protection, please. It is more important to be thorough than it is to lose one spell."

Returning his attention to dragori, Akos offers small vial. "This may be unpleasant to one used to rigid discipline, but shouldn't hurt. Unless there is evil hidden within. Depending on the curse particulars, you may feel a burning back there, but it will not last."

As they touch, silent blast of power passes from the fey cleric into the dragori, cleansing several effects at least temporarily.

Ooc: Holy water of Titania (chaotic good) and vernal touch

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
"Would your joining in our quest and vanquishing the evil festering here regain your honor?" Akos asks the druid.
"I would be glad to help you," the dragori replies. "But it would not matter to my people unless this evil also threatens to consume the empire. Anything that would save the Dragori Emperor would have to be seen by one of the Royal Bloodline. I don't know if there is such Kindred at the Dragori Embassy, but we could find out. They won't acknowledge me, but a request from The Five might sway them."

Neurotic said:
And turning to Custodio, in Ticin
"Cast the protection, please. It is more important to be thorough than it is to lose one spell."
Custodio shakes his head. "I know you're speaking Ticin, but I never learned it. My instructors were more concerned about my ability to wield a blade and cast healing spells."

Neurotic said:
Returning his attention to dragori, Akos offers small vial. "This may be unpleasant to one used to rigid discipline, but shouldn't hurt. Unless there is evil hidden within. Depending on the curse particulars, you may feel a burning back there, but it will not last."

As they touch, silent blast of power passes from the fey cleric into the dragori, cleansing several effects at least temporarily.

Ooc: Holy water of Titania (chaotic good) and vernal touch
Sylemis takes the offered vial and smells the contents. "Pure holy water." He takes a sip and smiles. "Quite refreshing." He downs the contents without a second thought.

As Akos' vernal touch settles over the dragori druid, Sylemis sighs with contentment and then stretches his weary form. "I feel like I've had several nights of blissful sleep. The fatigue is gone, it seems, for now. Let's hope it lasts."

He stands without the need for his staff and does several monk-like maneuvers. "Yes, that has put me in good shape for now. Even if it doesn't last, I thank you. Now I'll be able to tend to the Gardens and its visitors without having to put off their questions about my health."

"I am glad you're feeling better," Huverel says. "And let's hope it lasts longer than the High Sister's last dispelling attempt."

"Yes, it might not last but this is the best I've felt in over a month." He looks at Akos with awe. "You are truly blessed by the Great Mother, Loremaster. I will help you as best I can while you are in the Gardens."

OOC: Akos' Vernal Touch ability removed the exhausted condition from Sylemis. However, it will only last 24 hours. Akos will have to use it on him every day to keep him from becoming fatigued (and then exhausted) again.

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
"I'm glad that helped," says Tuck, feeling confident that his new companion Akos is a good man and willing to help others.

"Do you have enough to keep him going for a while?"

After thanking the dragori, Tuck suggests they start looking for Lady Emilienne.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
"I'm glad that helped," says Tuck, feeling confident that his new companion Akos is a good man and willing to help others.

"Do you have enough to keep him going for a while?"
Akos repeats the instruction about the protection to Custodio while the old monk jumps around.
Custodio nods and casts his spell on the dragori druid after Akos' examination. "While it won't last long," Custodio says to Sylemis. "If there is some evil force nearby affecting you, the spell might help keep it at bay."

"I thank you for your aid," the dragori replies.

OOC: Protection from evil: duration is 4 minutes.

JustinCase said:
After thanking the dragori, Tuck suggests they start looking for Lady Emilienne.
"Yes, you do not need to worry about me, for now," the dragori adds. "I am good to make my rounds in the Gardens and inspect the trees and greet today's visitors. Tomorrow morning, I should be able to prepare a spell that will allow me to speak with the plants of the Gardens. They may know something that others have missed."

He hugs both Tuck and Akos and pats Mutt on the head one more time before heading off to perform the duties he has been unable to while sick. He turns and waves one more time before heading towards the Western Gardens.

"I will lead you to Lady Émilienne," Huverel offers.

"While I'm sure I could find it, feel free to lead the way," Custodio replies.

The young half-elven druid nods and leads your group beyond the Temple of the Ascetics, deeper into the Eastern Gardens. The way is more overgrown than the other parts of the Gardens and even Custodio soon comes to realize that he'd have gotten lost.

"We keep the Eastern Gardens wild, so that we can cultivate rare plants from the Eastern Lands and the Dark Continent. As long as you stick to the paths, you won't encounter anything dangerous."

The path Huverel chose eventually comes to an end near the outer wall of the Gardens where it opens up into a worn walkway that runs along the edge of the wall. As you look back towards the Western Gardens, you can see a tower that divides the two halves of the wall from the two distinct gardens. Towards the end of the Eastern Gardens is a corner tower where the north wall meets the eastern wall of the Gardens.

The walkway is clear to the tower and as you get closer you can see that a Bluffside Regular stands guard near a half-hidden stairway leading down into the tower. While he watches the Eastern Garden with some trepidation, the man orders you to halt once he sees you.

"This are is restricted to Regulars business only," he says abruptly. Then he notes the half-elf druid. "Oh, Huverel, I didn't know it was you. Can I help you with something? Is anything wrong? Who are these, people?"

"Calm yourself, Nathaniel," Huverel says. "These are friends. They helped Sylemis with his sickness and are here to speak to Lady Émilienne."

"She's in the tower. She's still talking to Kaleb." He looks over the group assembled and raises an eyebrow while looking at Big Tim. He notes the half-ogres weapons with what Big Tim surmises is healthy respect. "She asked not to be disturbed unless it's really important."

"It's important," Custodio says. "Tell her my name, Custodio Vecchi. And that Sir Tymbeck Valencia and Master Relgar Aspergim are here as well."

"I- I have heard of y-you, Vecchi de la Élite," the young guard stammers out with his eyes wide. "It is an honor. I will tell her at once." He salutes Custodio and nods his approval to the others before rushing down the steps. He fumbles with the tower's keys. Once he gets the door open, he disappears inside. He remembers to lock the door behind him.

You wait for over ten minutes before he returns. He ushers you into the tower. The reinforced door is large enough that Tim barely needs to duck his head. The circular room is typical for a guard tower being both sparse and functional. Two wooden weapon racks sit along the wall, although neither one is full. There is a reinforced wooden hatch in the floor leading to a cellar, probably storage. A spiral metal staircase sits at the center of the tower and it is quite sturdy and wide enough for Tim to ascend.

Two off-duty guards sit at a small oval table, playing cards. Nathaniel leads you up to the second floor of the tower where Lady Émilienne waits. There are two other guards. A grizzled old veteran dressed in the uniform of the Elite and a boy who looks like he's barely old enough to be in the Regulars.

"Custodio, Tim, Mister Aspergim," she greets them warmly. "It's good to see you again!" She shakes Custodio's hand, gives Tim a big hug, and pats Relgar on the shoulder. "We keep meeting in guard towers."

"At least this one isn't cursed," Custodio muses.

"Don't remind me," she says with a shiver. "I see you've made some new friends. But where is Terger? I assumed he'd be with you."

OOC: Reminder! Big Tim and Relgar met Lady Émilienne in the cursed tower of the ruined Growers' Gate where Phelix had scrawled his maddening arcane writing (with the overwhelming magic aura and twisted planar map). She collapsed under strain of the tower's curse and it was Big Tim who carried her out of the tower to safety.

Last edited:

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
"Tuck," the little kobold introduces himself to Lady Émilienne and the guards. "And this is my guard dog Mutt. Be careful, he's fierce."

Predictably, Mutt walks up to the lady, tail wagging fiercely, and almost begs to be patted by her. The canine is obviously glad to meet more people who can give him the affection he lives for!

"Sylemis told us you are investigating a strange sighting near one of the Garden's outer towers," Tuck continues, "Which could coincide with our investigation here."

He pauses, and looks at the guards, then back at Lady Émilienne, his eyes asking whether he can continue talking with them around.

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Ákos waits patiently for the small talk and to be properly introduced. For once, his mercurial nature holds steady and he awaits his turn serenely.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Before Custodio can introduce any of them, Tuck introduces himself.

"Tuck," the little kobold introduces himself to Lady Émilienne and the guards. "And this is my guard dog Mutt. Be careful, he's fierce."

Predictably, Mutt walks up to the lady, tail wagging fiercely, and almost begs to be patted by her. The canine is obviously glad to meet more people who can give him the affection he lives for!
"Nice... to meet you," Lady Émilienne replies. She gingerly pats the dog once on the head but shows no other affection for the big canine. The lady is either put off by the dog's size or Tuck's warning.

JustinCase said:
"Sylemis told us you are investigating a strange sighting near one of the Garden's outer towers," Tuck continues, "Which could coincide with our investigation here."

He pauses, and looks at the guards, then back at Lady Émilienne, his eyes asking whether he can continue talking with them around.
Lady Émilienne dismisses Nathaniel from the room and heads back down the stairwell to his retake his post. The young guard seems relieved. Perhaps the lady's striking beauty makes him nervous?

"It turns out that strange sighting was more of an incident," she says. "And you can speak freely in front of these two men. Sergeant Raupach has informed me that he and a fellow Tower Elite encountered these 'false' guards late last night. They confronted them and his fellow guard was killed."

"I tried to save Mathias. I swear I did. But there were five of them. We didn't stand a chance. I barely escaped with my life." The young guard hangs his head. You can tell he's been in a fight; his arm is in a sling and there is a deep gash across his face.

"Where did this happen?" Custodio asks insistently.

"It was along the Eastern Pathway. More than halfway between here and the Southeast Garden Tower," the young tower guard replies. "It was very late. Well past the midnight hour. It's like they appeared out of nowhere and then just attacked us. If the noise of the fight hadn't disturbed the Shardgrim, I'd have died too."

Relgar continues to seem distant, as he usually does; it's impossible to tell whether he's paying attention or utterly lost in thought (or a little of both).
Relgar's ears hear the word Shardgrim, which is a bit unnerving. Why did the youngster mention that bogyman? More of what is being said filters into his mind.

"Wait! You saw the Nightshard of Nyx?" Custodio asks with his eyes wide.

Sergeant Raupach continues his tale. "It was very dark. I didn't truly see it. I saw mainly shadow. But I heard it come out of the Eastern Gardens, and it killed two of them and dragged another one into the foliage. For some reason, it didn't attack me. Maybe since the attackers had already forced me to the ground, it might have thought I was dead. I'm shamed to say that I ran back here after it disappeared."

"It's nothing to be ashamed about, Kaleb," the grizzled old guard says. He looks at Big Tim and then Custodio. "When he arrived back here, he collapsed. He was frantic and near death. We fed him a healing potion and let him sleep until dawn. He tried to tell me what happened before he fell unconscious. I lead a patrol down the entire length of the pathway. We found where the fight took place and Mathias's body, as well as one of the dead fakes." He glances at the floor. "Both bodies are in the cellar. Word has been sent to the Caspersen Family, and they will likely have their favored son raised. I sent word to the Lord Commander but I left some of the details vague. I didn't want to cause a panic about the Shardgrim."

"This is Detch Appolyon," Lady Émilienne says. "He is this tower's Arcanus. The Lord Commander sent me to find out what happened. I'm shocked to learn that the Shardgrim might be real."

"The Shardgrim," Custodio whispers. "It cannot be true. That's just a myth."

OOC: Both Knowledge (nature) and Knowledge (local) will give more information about the Shardgrim, aka the Nightshard of Nyx.

Ákos waits patiently for the small talk and to be properly introduced. For once, his mercurial nature holds steady and he awaits his turn serenely.
Custodio shakes his head and motions to both Tuck and Loremaster Ákos. "Since Tuck has already introduced himself, I will introduce you to Loremaster Ákos. He's a stalwart of the Temple District and a devoted follower of the Court of Trees, if I'm remembering correctly."

OOC: Ákos knows that the Court of Trees is a Fey court that exists deep in the Coldwind Forest within the boundaries of the elven kingdom known as Ravensilath. It is made up of mortal half-fey creatures, as well as centaurs, druids, forest gnomes, wood elves, and even a few good-aligned araneas. The ruler of the Court of Trees is a gray elf named Lazziar Zylydark. However, the Court doesn't rule Ravensilath. The mysterious Olven King of Sul Hinue (in the Truffatore Mountains) rules the kingdom.

Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Big Tim is glad to see Lady Emillienne again, and greets her as warmly as she greeted him.

As Tim listens to Kaleb's story, a frown forms on his face. He is not upset with Kaleb's defeat in battle, but rather, with the idea of this "Shadblow" thing. The idea of a supernatural predator does not sit well with the big warrior. He is silent as he mulls the concept over in his mind.

Big Tim finally says, "If it truly is a thing of the Shadow, we'll need magic to kill it, probably of the priestly kind. But if it is some Troll lurking about causing trouble, that's dealt with easily enough, by force of blade alone. In any case, I will put my life and limb in harm's way, to see such an evil vanquished."

Remove ads