Kulan: Knightfall's Crisis in Bluffside Game [IC]

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Akos bows to the lady. But the news about legendary monster seems to lower his usual flair and great introductions...but only slightly.

He looks up as he straightens up
"I am indeed Akos, the representative of the Summer Court here in Bluffside. I'm teaching city-dwellers the beauty of life. But I am also a historian, one of the followers of The Great Teachers. And I can prove it immediately. Just give me a moment here"
Arcane: 1d20+13 = [17] + 13 = [30]; Nature: 1d20+11 = [20] +11 = [31]
He turns to the young soldier and gives him his blessing and advice
"You, young man, are lucky to have survived such an ordeal. Do not beat yourself over deaths and events you couldn't prevent or affect. Instead, live each day as it is your last for one day it will be. Go to your comrade family, help them with their grief. Live for him too, keep his memory and honor his sacrifice."

Turning back to the assembled group he offers some extra info on the monster.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
OOC: I've replaced the name Shadblow with Shardgrim.

Big Tim is glad to see Lady Emillienne again, and greets her as warmly as she greeted him.

As Tim listens to Kaleb's story, a frown forms on his face. He is not upset with Kaleb's defeat in battle, but rather, with the idea of this "Shardgrim" thing. The idea of a supernatural predator does not sit well with the big warrior. He is silent as he mulls the concept over in his mind.

Big Tim finally says, "If it truly is a thing of the Shadow, we'll need magic to kill it, probably of the priestly kind. But if it is some Troll lurking about causing trouble, that's dealt with easily enough, by force of blade alone. In any case, I will put my life and limb in harm's way, to see such an evil vanquished."
"While I doubt Kaleb saw one of the Night Goddess's legendary beasts, the creature is likely an invader from outside the city. Maybe it came in through Old City's sewer system," Lady Émilienne considers. "There have been rumors about a monster loose in the district's sewers, but no real evidence existed before now."

"And if it is the Shardgrim?" Custodio asks. "Then what do we do?"

"Pray that Bluffside hasn't been cursed by Nyx," she replies. She looks at Big Tim. "The Bluffside Elite is glad to have you on our side, Tymbeck. Hopefully this 'legend' is just another beast that has been misidentified and can be put down with swords. But if magic is required, hopefully we have enough spellpower among us to handle it. The Elite are already spread thin."

Akos bows to the lady. But the news about legendary monster seems to lower his usual flair and great introductions...but only slightly.

He looks up as he straightens up
"I am indeed Akos, the representative of the Summer Court here in Bluffside. I'm teaching city-dwellers the beauty of life. But I am also a historian, one of the followers of The Great Teachers. And I can prove it immediately. Just give me a moment here"
OOC: Arcane: 1d20+13 = [17] + 13 = [30]; Nature: 1d20+11 = [20] +11 = [31]
"I welcome your wisdom, Teacher," Lady Émilienne says.

Neurotic said:
He turns to the young soldier and gives him his blessing and advice
"You, young man, are lucky to have survived such an ordeal. Do not beat yourself over deaths and events you couldn't prevent or affect. Instead, live each day as it is your last for one day it will be. Go to your comrade family, help them with their grief. Live for him too, keep his memory and honor his sacrifice."
"I'm sure Mathias's family will pay to have him raised, if his spirit is willing. My worry is that he's at peace in the Beyond but that his family will force his soul back by paying for more powerful magicks to be used. His father, Mikkel, likely won't give up Mathias's legacy without a fight. It could get ugly if the city's elite clergy refuse him," Kaleb replies. You sense that by legacy, Kaleb means a continuation of the Caspersen bloodline.

Neurotic said:
Turning back to the assembled group he offers some extra info on the monster.
OOC: Okay, so you rolls are really good. Really, really good. That natural 20 on Knowledge (nature) means you rolled a 41. But first, the Knowledge (arcana) check. Akos knows that the Shardgrim is one of the seventeen Nightshards of Nyx. (Nyx is the Aegean Goddess of Night.) Nyx is a child of Chaos and is the mother of Moros (Doom, Destiny), the Oneiroi (Dreams), the Moirai (Fates), and Thanatos (Death), as well as many other Aegean 'personification' deities; her mate is the Darkness deity known as Erebus. Nyx and her children that I've listed all have a strong connection to magic in one form or another. Nyx has many oracles but most of them exist in the lands east of the Bluffside Region. She is rarely worshiped in Bluffside.

However, the legends of her Nightshards are infamous throughout much of Kanpur's western lands. Each Nightshard of Nyx is believed to be descended directly from her through one of her many children. They are powerful creatures that bend the world around them. A Nightshard descended from Thanatos, for example, would spread death in its wake; nature would wither and there would be a constant pall of death for miles around its lair. On the other hand, a Nightshard descended from Philotes (goddess personifying affection, friendship, and sex) would be a boon for any community, up to a certain point.

Note, however, that each of the Nightshard beasts is touched by the power of Nyx herself. They are considered favored creatures by her and killing one would be seen as an assault on her and her followers. (Cults of Sleep and Death dedicated to her are common the Aegean lands but rare in the Western Lands.)

The Nightshard known as the Shardgrim is one of the lesser known beasts that she favors and it is a bit of a mystery. No one knows which of Nyx children it is descended from but the most likely culprits are Geras (Old Age), Eris (Strife), or one of the Hesperides. (If the creature that Kaleb encountered was the Shardgrim, he is very lucky to be alive.) If the creature's legacy is Geras, it is very old and likely very powerful. If it's legacy is Eris, it could explain why Bluffside is undergoing tons of strife. And if the creature's legacy is one of the Daughters of the Evening, it is likely more benign (but still steeped in shadow) and could be connected to the Fey in some way.

Akos doubts that such a creature could live in the Gardens and not attract a multitude of adventurers seeking to slay it or worshipers of Nyx or her children determined to protect and nurture it. As far as he knows, there aren't any Nyx zealots in the Temple District. More than likely Kaleb latched on to the legend in his mind when confronted by the monster.

If the Shardgrim did once live in the region (or does still), it is very unlikely it lives in an urban city. Akos knows of several rumored legendary beasts of nature that live in the deepest parts of the Coldwind Forest -- the Boar of Black Tusks, the Great Grey Elk, and the Red Shadow in the Sun. The Shardgrim could be one of these creatures or something from a previous age.

From Kaleb's description, he more likely encountered a large plant monster or degenerate troll/ogre covered in moss. And since the creature attacked in the dead of night, its shadow form might have been a trick of the night. Or Nyx. :devilish:

Tuck looks blank, blinking twice. Apparently the kobold has never heard about the monster before, or never took it seriously.

Tuck watches as the Loremaster muses internally over the creature's identity.

Neurotic

Akos enters his ex-cathedra mode and teaches.
"So, the creature might but probably isn't one of the Children of the Night. There are signs that fit, but are easily replicated and it is hard to pinpoint any particular event to such an entity. If it is one, attacking or worse, killing it, might provoke The Lady of the Night. So that leaves discovery and negotiation. I would definitely advise against any rush actions in this case. Worse, Shardgrim isn't one of the known children. We don't even know who its progenitor is. There are several options, with third being preferable even if that means it could be connected to The Winter Court or at least influenced by it.
Geras (Old Age), Eris (Strife), or one of the Hesperides.

If the creature that Kaleb encountered was the Shardgrim, he is very lucky to be alive. If the creature's legacy is Geras, it is very old and likely very powerful. It would explain the feeling of age of Sylemis.

If it's legacy is Eris, it could explain why Bluffside is undergoing tons of strife.

And if the creature's legacy is one of the Daughters of the Evening, it is likely more benign, but still steeped in shadow.

If we assume we're not important enough to house such an entity, we could entertain the notion that my humble teachings attracted attention of the Winter Court and that some dark fey hides among us. It could easily be mistaken for shadow creatures. That would explain the problems centered on the Garden too.

In the hypotetical situtation that I'm not important enough to be targeted or at least observed by some such, there are always base explanations of various underground monster wondering in from surrounding area. We can explore that option in the morning once I prepare the spells to better suit this detective work.

If you, lady, know someone who can cast legend lore, we know of the battle area that would definitely fit for such a divination and that would rule out the involvement of at least one part of the aforementionted creatures.

Since the simplest explanations are usually true, lets hope it is just a common monster. I will prepare Augury in the morning."

He finishes with slight bow toward the lady and awaits questions - there are always some even if he takes pains to explain everything. He could do with some accolades, but that would be too much to expect since his knowledge is what brought him here. It is expected. It is his job (he shudders internally).

Neurotic

"Yes, Tuck, without seeing it or at least having reliable witness...there are any number of things that could fit the description, including mere mortals with shadow connections such as some warlocks, ninjas, shadow dancers, shadar-kai and countless others. There are limits to conclusions one can draw from limited data."

Akos doesn't seem offended by the kobolds comment.

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
The small reptilian nods, relieved that Akos does not rebuke him.

"Yes, yes, we must find answers to those questions. Do you think it's related to our objective here? Seems unlikely to be a coincidence."

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Big Tim nods, adding, "Tuck is right. I know very little of foul beasts and dark magicks, but we need to figure out what we're dealing with here. And we need to do it quickly. And it is MOST CERTAINLY related to our objective; I doubt very seriously that it's a coincidence."

Big Tim smiles at Tuck, nodding again in agreement.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Akos enters his ex-cathedra mode and teaches.
"So, the creature might but probably isn't one of the Children of the Night. There are signs that fit, but are easily replicated and it is hard to pinpoint any particular event to such an entity. If it is one, attacking or worse, killing it, might provoke The Lady of the Night. So that leaves discovery and negotiation. I would definitely advise against any rush actions in this case. Worse, Shardgrim isn't one of the known children. We don't even know who its progenitor is. There are several options, with third being preferable even if that means it could be connected to The Winter Court or at least influenced by it... Geras (Old Age), Eris (Strife), or one of the Hesperides.

If the creature that Kaleb encountered was the Shardgrim, he is very lucky to be alive. If the creature's legacy is Geras, it is very old and likely very powerful. It would explain the feeling of age of Sylemis.

If it's legacy is Eris, it could explain why Bluffside is undergoing tons of strife.

And if the creature's legacy is one of the Daughters of the Evening, it is likely more benign, but still steeped in shadow.
"Let us hope it is no worse than a troll," Custodio interjects. Lady Émilienne motions for the Elite to wait and let Akos finish.

Neurotic said:
If we assume we're not important enough to house such an entity, we could entertain the notion that my humble teachings attracted attention of the Winter Court and that some dark fey hides among us. It could easily be mistaken for shadow creatures. That would explain the problems centered on the Garden too.

In the hypothetical situation that I'm not important enough to be targeted or at least observed by some such, there are always base explanations of various underground monster wondering in from surrounding area. We can explore that option in the morning once I prepare the spells to better suit this detective work.

If you, lady, know someone who can cast legend lore, we know of the battle area that would definitely fit for such a divination and that would rule out the involvement of at least one part of the aforementioned creatures.

Since the simplest explanations are usually true, lets hope it is just a common monster. I will prepare Augury in the morning."

He finishes with slight bow toward the lady and awaits questions -- there are always some even if he takes pains to explain everything. He could do with some accolades, but that would be too much to expect since his knowledge is what brought him here. It is expected. It is his job (he shudders internally).
Tuck stares at Akos.

"So... you don't know what it is, either?" the kobold says a bit more harshly than intended.
Lady Émilienne hides a smirk behind her hand.

"Yes, Tuck, without seeing it or at least having reliable witness...there are any number of things that could fit the description, including mere mortals with shadow connections such as some warlocks, ninjas, shadow dancers, shadar-kai and countless others. There are limits to conclusions one can draw from limited data."

Akos doesn't seem offended by the kobolds comment.
"All I can tell you for certain is that is a was big and seemed to be cloaked in shadow," Kaleb notes. "It was tall. Too tall to be human-sized." He motions to Big Tim. "Whatever I saw was as taller than him."

"It sounds like we're dealing with something mortal that has moved into the Gardens. I doubt it is one of Nyx's descendants," Lady Émilienne says. "As for someone who can cast legend lore, I can think of one obvious person, Jamtulon Staciaenial. He's a retired adventurer who runs The Bard's Tale in the Coach & Six Market down in the Undercity."

"I'd advise not going down there," Custodio says. "It is a dangerous place even if you're a dockworker, sewer cleaner, or steam gnome."

"Yes, it can be a tense place, but the people who live down there aren't all villains," the old guard named Detch snaps at Custodio. "Do not presume, young man."

"I speak based on my experiences, sir."

"Yes, yes," Lady Émilienne says with an emphatic eye-roll. "It isn't for the faint of heart, but The Bard's Tale is one of the best places to find bards and if Jamtulon can't cast it himself, I'm sure he knows someone who can. But... there is another option."

"Who?" Custodio asks.

"Finus Lomusin."

"Oh."

"There's nothing wrong with Finus."

"No, but I doubt the Sectarian Guard will just let us wander into the Wizard District and onto the grounds of the Academy."

"I can go to see him and you can go to see Jamtulon at the Tale."

"Is there anyone else?" the Elite guard asks.

"Not that I know of," she replies. She looks at Detch and he shakes his head.

"No, I've never learned that spell. It's not martial enough for me."

She nods.

The small reptilian nods, relieved that Akos does not rebuke him.

"Yes, yes, we must find answers to those questions. Do you think it's related to our objective here? Seems unlikely to be a coincidence."
Big Tim nods, adding, "Tuck is right. I know very little of foul beasts and dark magicks, but we need to figure out what we're dealing with here. And we need to do it quickly. And it is MOST CERTAINLY related to our objective; I doubt very seriously that it's a coincidence."

Big Tim smiles at Tuck, nodding again in agreement.
"I agree," Lady Émilienne says. "I doubt this is unrelated to the Renegade. If it is something mundane, he might have released it into the Gardens as a distraction. If it is not, the beast might have been attracted to the Gardens by that damn portal."

"I wouldn't doubt it if 'Waldo' did release it," Custodio adds. "He's crazy enough to do it." He looks at Akos and the others. "I'll go with you to see this Jamtulon fellow. We should leave getting in to see Finus to Lady Émilienne."

"Aye," Detch agrees. "And you young Kaleb are now on leave. Go home and get some rest. I will have the Lord Commander send someone to take your post while you gain your strength back."

"Yes sir," the young guard says. He tries to stand but cannot push himself upright. "I might need some help."

Detch looks at the group, "Can you take him? His home is in Old City. On the other side of the Palace complex near the Museum of Sem La Vah. I can get someone else if you're in a hurry."

"I- I can wait."

Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Big Tim offers, "I know nothing of Wizard matters, and have no desire to walk into a seedy tavern and talk to bards, either. I will take him. It makes sense; I have the strength to easily support him, and if he gets too tired, I can even carry him without breaking a sweat. Mine is the task of service. And this task is best suited to me."

Tim then stands straight, at attention, as if waiting for Lady Émilienne to command him.

Remove ads