Kulan: Knightfall's Crisis in Bluffside Game [IC]

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Akos calls upon his powers. The time for not-fighting is passed, death is the order of the day. He joins his hands together and mimics opening the book with his palms. Upon them, a ghostly book made of leaves manifests and bluish light plays over his forearms before the leaves blow over into the assassin.

But he is not a warrior, his spirit is his weapon, not real weapons. The ambient temperature falls, but the blast is totally ineffectual unless one counts the frozen drinks caught in the blast.

Move: as needed
Swift: activate gloves of eldritch admixture
Standard:
Eldritch blast; cold damage: 1D20+3 = [1]+3 = 4
4D6 = [3, 3, 1, 6] = 13
- forgot the bonus from Knowledge devotion, but natural 1 :(

Envisioner

Explorer
The results of his Invisible Needle clearly illustrate to Relgar that he isn't going to overcome this challenge by simply blasting away at his assailant. Time for a different approach. The social skills he's never mastered are possible to simulate artificially through illusion magic; with a few subtle gestures of hands held by his side, behind his back, under the furniture or the like, and a few mumbled incantations between sentences of normal speech, the wizard weaves a semblance of normality whose Glamerous nature masks its own manifestation, like an skilled water elemental gliding under the surface of a lake, naturally absorbing the ripples of its own passage so that its motion goes unnoticed.

OOC: Casting Serene Visage to gain a +10 to Bluff checks; I'm hoping that I can perform the actual Bluff check itself as part of the same action.

"That uncomfortable stinging sensation is only the veriest tip of the proverbial iceberg; I am capable of wreaking a much more thorough arcane deconstruction upon your unfortunate physiognomy. You see, I'm not trapped in this bubble with you; you're trapped in this bubble with me. A decision which you will have ample opportunity to regret. Unless, of course, you feel like purchasing some clemency from my considerable aggrievance, and its resultant painful manifestations. So speak quickly, while you still have a functioning tongue. Who sent you, and why? I want names, locations, and exact details of whoever chose you as their hapless patsy for this uniquely unwise provocation."

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Here is the intro for @Aust Thale's PC, Falen Aust Thale.

Docks of Sordadon
Falen watches from the foredeck of the Firequeen as it pulls into the Harbor District of the floating canal port of Sordadon. While the crew scrambles around him to settle the large sailing ship near the docks, Falen can't help but stare up at the imposing cliffs of western Kanpur. Up on those cliffs is the city of Bluffside — his destination after all these months of travel to and from Tânger. His hand inadvertently goes up to his chest where the letter is safely tucked in an inside pocket.

His old mentor, Max, had sent him to get the missive for an man named Lord Cassianus Avitus, the current ambassador of Ticinum to Bluffside. Why he had to go all the way to Tânger by ship to physically pick up the letter is a mystery. Magic would have been considerably faster. Max hadn't told him the reason why had to be this way, but he'd paid Falen well for the trip, up front. Max never parted with gold easily.

Falen had little trouble getting the letter but booking passage back north had been a challenge. News had arrived in Tânger that trouble is brewing in Bluffside. Rumors about war and disease and magical explosions. Gossip flows like coin and mead in Tânger; it never ends.

The Firequeen's anchor is dropped and the ship is firmly secured to the dock as well. The crew is taking no chance, as they don't want to displease their captain, Meri-en-sekar. The Khemitian woman is a fierce warrior and sailor and a long time compatriot of Falen's good friend Bixby Cobblegood. At first, Falen had thought it luck that she'd been in Tânger but Max and Bixby had planned it that way in case the unseen seer had gotten into trouble get out of the city. He had and luckily Meri-en-sekar and her crew were there to bail him out. He'd had to pay extra, of course, but it had been worth it.

A group of cutthroats simply known as The Dusk had come out of the shadows and tried to kill Falen and take the letter. Meri's first mate, Hanodeen, had been watching the half-hobgoblin's back without him realizing it. The man had been a ghost until he and his scimitar came out of the night and kill three of the cutthroats and whisked Falen to the Firequeen. Once out to sea, the Dusk tried again alongside hired pirates of the bleakest sort. Two pirate ships had tried to board the Firequeen, but they were no match for the galleon's impressive cannons.

"You better get going," Captain Meri says to Falen. The tall Khemitian woman had snuck up behind him while he was deep in thought. "And try not to get those pretty eyes of yours in trouble. I won't be there to bail you out this time, malih."

Meri-en-sekar had taken a shine to him but had kept Falen at arms length during the voyage. She had to keep up appearances for the crew. Now, the bulk of the crew was disappearing onto Sordadon's streets looking to spend their pay and bonus for getting the Firequeen to port in one piece. The captain sets her chin on top of Falen's head and points to a waiting cog, "the Vulture won't wait long before heading into the Cavern Harbor. Captain Reeth is doing you a favor taking you to into the Undercity without payment. Don't forget that."

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Silverbow Inn:
Tuck ignores the spell effects that are obviously from Relgar, and the kobold keeps firing his crossbow at Shylock who is now so close.

Meanwhile Mutt keeps attacking the third assassin like Tuck ordered him to, tearing into the man's legs with his huge fangs.

OOC: From the description, I was unsure if Shylock is adjacent to Tuck or not. So I rolled a full attack (with rapid shot), but if he has to take a 5-foot step back first, I think only the first of those attacks matters. Or perhaps I'm misremembering the 5-foot step rule; a quick search of the SRD didn't show up what I wanted. Anyway, he only attacks Shylock.

rapid shot:
1D20+10 = [6]+10 = 16 for 1D6+1 = [2]+1 = 3 damage
1D20+10 = [2]+10 = 12 for 1D6+1 = [1]+1 = 2 damage
1D20+5 = [20]+5 = 25 (possible crit!) for 1D6+1 = [1]+1 = 2 damage

crit confirmation: 1D20+5 = [6]+5 = 11 (probably miss) for 1D6 = [4] = 4 additional damage

Mutt attacks the third assassin.

Mutt: 1D20+7 = [19]+7 = 26 for 1D6+5 = [2]+5 = 7 damage
All three bolts hit the mark, as Shylock remains frozen in fear. The ugly assassin looks like a pincushion. The third bolt sinks deep into the man's shoulder while other two are in his chest and thigh. Blood trickles down from his shoulder wound. "Please, no more," he whimpers.

Meanwhile, Mutt growls and then bites the other assassin in shoulder and shakes the man. His magic fangs tear open a gash and the man yells in agony.

OOC: Shylock is cowering this round, so it doesn't matter. Shylock doesn't threaten Tuck this round. You crit. confirmation roll was a success since he has a -2 to AC and no Dex this round.

Akos calls upon his powers. The time for not-fighting is passed, death is the order of the day. He joins his hands together and mimics opening the book with his palms. Upon them, a ghostly book made of leaves manifests and bluish light plays over his forearms before the leaves blow over into the assassin.

But he is not a warrior, his spirit is his weapon, not real weapons. The ambient temperature falls, but the blast is totally ineffectual unless one counts the frozen drinks caught in the blast.

Move: as needed
Swift: activate gloves of eldritch admixture
Standard:
Eldritch blast; cold damage: 1D20+3 = [1]+3 = 4
4D6 = [3, 3, 1, 6] = 13
- forgot the bonus from Knowledge devotion, but natural 1 :(
The table next to Teresa splits apart and the drinks are soon misshapen ice cubes on the floor. The female assassin doesn't move, still feeling the effects of Akos intimidation.

The results of his Invisible Needle clearly illustrate to Relgar that he isn't going to overcome this challenge by simply blasting away at his assailant. Time for a different approach. The social skills he's never mastered are possible to simulate artificially through illusion magic; with a few subtle gestures of hands held by his side, behind his back, under the furniture or the like, and a few mumbled incantations between sentences of normal speech, the wizard weaves a semblance of normality whose Glamerous nature masks its own manifestation, like an skilled water elemental gliding under the surface of a lake, naturally absorbing the ripples of its own passage so that its motion goes unnoticed.

OOC: Casting Serene Visage to gain a +10 to Bluff checks; I'm hoping that I can perform the actual Bluff check itself as part of the same action.

"That uncomfortable stinging sensation is only the veriest tip of the proverbial iceberg; I am capable of wreaking a much more thorough arcane deconstruction upon your unfortunate physiognomy. You see, I'm not trapped in this bubble with you; you're trapped in this bubble with me. A decision which you will have ample opportunity to regret. Unless, of course, you feel like purchasing some clemency from my considerable aggrievance, and its resultant painful manifestations. So speak quickly, while you still have a functioning tongue. Who sent you, and why? I want names, locations, and exact details of whoever chose you as their hapless patsy for this uniquely unwise provocation."
Shylock can do nothing but stare and listen to Relgar. The man's mind is mud and Relgar's word take the fight right out of him. He drops his short sword on the floor and repeats, "No more, I- I'll tell you whatever you want to know. Just, no more pain." The man's knees buckle and he crumples to the floor. "We are members of the Brelish Thieves Guild here in Bluffside."

"No Shylock, stop talking," the third assassin yells. "Don't tell them anything!"

Shylock continues speaking without even acknowledging his fellow guild member. "The guild is located in The Crossed Candles in the Old City district. We were sent by our guildmaster, Kelik, although he goes by another name as the owner of shop, Barclay Winton. H- he and Phelix are old friends from their time together in Khasan. Phelix offered him a chance to relocate to Bluffside so they could work together and Kelik could create his own guild. Phelix wants you," he finally looks up at Relgar. "And the ones named Custodio and Tymbeck dead at any cost." He glances at Tuck. "We didn't know these other would be here helping you, but we had our orders."

Blood begins to seep out of the man's mouth. "Phelix is worried. That's why we're here and why he sent the others after your friends and Lady Émilienne too. Phelix is sending assassins throughout the city and not just from our guild. His loyalists are tracking the other two, and he is sending his best assassins to kill that guard commander known as Oakfirst, as well as Lady Pomander. He's targeting everyone that has been getting in his way." He shakes his head. "You cannot stop them all. He has spies everywhere and half the guards are on the take or just corrupt. The best of of your allies will be dead by dawn."

"You fool!" The Brelish assassin yells.

He ignores Mutt and tries to find his way to Shylock to silence him. Mutt chomps down on him again, but the man rips himself away and stumbles into the tiny hut. He sees Shylock on his knees and throws his short sword like it's a dagger. The blade sinks into Shylock's back and Shylock howls in pain.

"I said stop talking, you spineless idiot!"

Shylock slumps forward onto the floor and doesn't move.

OOC: You can make the Bluff check as part of the same action (we'll also consider it a feint in combat) and Shylock has at -2 circumstance penalty to his Sense Motive check.

Relgar: Bluff check > 1d20+9=19
Shylock: Sense Motive check > 1d20-2=2 :LOL: | He's also flat-footed for the next round.
Mutt: AoO > 1d20+6=23 (hit), Damage > 1d6+5=7
Assassin: Thrown Short Sword > (-2 for shaken, -4 throwing melee weapon): 1d20+1=15 (hit), Damage > 1d6+2=5

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Throwdown Alley:

Tim re-aligns his footing, stepping in on his nervous foe. This time, he leads with Rizvan, seeking to use the Loyalist's exhaustion against him; Tim pulls the punch, hitting him in the thick, top-most part of his forehead, so as to render him unconscious.

Tim muses to himself,~I refuse to kill such a weakling; and besides, he is worth more to us alive. If the gallows is his fate, then so be it, but in the interests of justice being served, he will speak of what he knows before he hangs.~

OOC: Tim inflicts 14 pts. of Non-Lethal damage upon the Loyalist. If it is enough to render him unconscious, he will take a 1-square adjustment, placing himself within range of the most recent Loyalist who is attacking Custodio. If it isn't, he will attack this Loyalist with the flat of the blade (non-lethal damage) as well. If his Loyalist gets cold-cocked by Rizvan, his Greatsword attack on Custodio's foe will be for lethal damage.
The shield bash snaps the loyalist's head back. If Tim had used all his might the man would be dead. His eyes roll into he back of his head and he falls to the ground, unconscious.

He follows up the 'pulled' attack with a full-force swing of his greatsword into the man fighting Custodio. The blade sinks deep into the man's side. He never saw the attack coming.

Annoyed, Breva takes a calming breath. "You are starting to bother then neighbors. Let's bring this to a swift conclusion." He continues by drawing his blade back and stabbing deep into the man before him.

OOC: power attack 2 and damage: 1D20+11 = [17]+11 = 28
2D6+12 = [1, 1]+12 = 14
The loyalist tries to sidestep the blade but takes it full in the chest. His eyes glaze over and he drops to the ground. Breva can tell that the man isn't dead, only unconscious. But he won't be getting back up any time soon.

Round 5
The loyalist looks at Big Tim nervously and then notes that his allies have both fallen. He snarls at Custodio and slams his blade into the Elite guard. Custodio easily blocks it with his heavy wooden shield.

"You are all alone," he says. "Surrender now and we will show you mercy."

The man spits in Custodio's face and laughs.

Custodio brings his bastard sword down on the man's shoulder with all his strength. The blade tears into the loyalist and it looks as though he's about to drop to the ground.

"Well, I see you two have been busy," a voice says from on high. Tim and Custodio look up to see a figure flying overhead. The elven woman has a pensive look on her face, but her appearance is slightly disheveled. "I was worried I wouldn't find you in time." She looks at Breva. "Who's this?"

"Lady Émilienne," Custodio says plainly, hardly believing his eyes.

"N-no, you're supposed to be dead!" The loyalist shouts.

"The villains tried and failed," she replies.

OOC: Loyalist: Longsword (+2 Power Attack) > 1d20+6=16 (miss)
Custodio: Bastard Sword > 1d20+11=22 (hit), Damage > 1d10+4=8
Lady Émilienne: Initiative > 1d20+2=12
@Tellerian Hawke and @Scotley, you guys are up. The last loyalist now looks weaker than the one that Tim shield bashed.

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Bless: +1 morale bonus to attack & saves
Tim's AC is 25.
Base attacks w/ sword & shield: +11 / +10
Total attacks w/ modifiers: +12 / +11

Greatsword Attack vs. Last Loyalist, Punch Pulled
Greatsword Attack Roll Last Loyalist: 1D20+12 = [11]+12 = 23

Rizvan Attack vs. Last Loyalist, Punch Pulled (Probably a Miss)
Rizvan Attack Roll vs. Last Loyalist: 1D20+11 = [3]+11 = 14

Greatsword Damage vs. Last Loyalist
Greatsword Damage Roll Last Loyalist: 2D6+8 = [4, 4]+8 = 16

Big Tim states, flatly, addressing Custodio as he attacks the last Loyalist, "The time for ASKING is at an end. He's going to surrender the hard way."

Tim turns the Greatsword so that the next blow strikes with the flat of the blade, inflicting non-lethal damage; he swings with the precision of a battlefield veteran, connecting HARD with the man's jaw! But alas, the force of the blow puts him out of position for an effective follow-up from Rizvan, not that it matters much...

Envisioner

Explorer
Relgar looks up with anger at the assassin of his would-be assassin. Since he's just disarmed himself in what appears to be desperation, the wizard assumes he no longer poses a threat, and a sudden surge of righteous indignation overcomes him. Not even bothering to conjure another Invisible Needle, he strides forward and aims a kick at the knees or vitals of the new attacker.

OOC: Unarmed attack. Rules-wise I'm probably just going to get myself punched, but it seems in-character to try. I'll let you just decide for yourself whether it works.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Throwdown Alley:
Greatsword Attack vs. Last Loyalist, Punch Pulled
Greatsword Attack Roll Last Loyalist: 1D20+12 = [11]+12 = 23

Rizvan Attack vs. Last Loyalist, Punch Pulled (Probably a Miss)
Rizvan Attack Roll vs. Last Loyalist: 1D20+11 = [3]+11 = 14

Greatsword Damage vs. Last Loyalist
Greatsword Damage Roll Last Loyalist: 2D6+8 = [4, 4]+8 = 16

Big Tim states, flatly, addressing Custodio as he attacks the last Loyalist, "The time for ASKING is at an end. He's going to surrender the hard way."

Tim turns the Greatsword so that the next blow strikes with the flat of the blade, inflicting non-lethal damage; he swings with the precision of a battlefield veteran, connecting HARD with the man's jaw! But alas, the force of the blow puts him out of position for an effective follow-up from Rizvan, not that it matters much...
The greatsword impacts the man's face, snapping it back. If Tim had used the cutting edge, he would have taken the man's head clean off. Instead, there is a flattening of his nose and a crack of the man's jaw. Even keeping control not to kill, Tim leaves the loyalist with a lasting mark. The man crumples to the ground, unconscious, which means Tim swings his shield through the open space above the loyalist.

"I have to ask them to surrender," Custodio says to Tim. "It's my duty as an Elite even if I'm not wearing the uniform. Considering my interactions with them in the past, I knew that they wouldn't drop their weapons. Their fanatics."

Lady Émilienne flies down to the street and end her spell. "The ones that attacked me were just as crazed. If the Sectarian Guard hadn't come to my aid, I would have been hard pressed even with my fly spell."

"Do you require aid, my lady?" Custodio asks.

"No, I used up two of my healing potions to restore myself." She walks up to Breva and notes his attire. "Another worshiper of the Purifier, I see. You calling in reinforcements, Custodio?"

"Not exactly," he replies while reaching for the manacles attached to his belt. He puts them on the loyalist that Tim just knocked out. "I wished I had two more for these others. We should bind them, but I left my pack with my rope back at the manor."

"I am Lady Émilienne, Wizard of the Seventh Order and cleric of Sky and Air," she introduces herself to Breva, her hand outstretched to shake Breva's. "Like Custodio, I am one of Bluffside's Elite and a Tower Wizard for the area around the Gardens. I am glad you were here to help them."

Breva is taken aback by the elf woman's contradiction of titles and adventurer's appearance. She does not dress like a guard but then neither does Custodio.

Last edited:

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
"Lady Émilienne," Tuck breathes in shock. "Lady Pomander..."

Shylock's other words register as well, and the urban ranger ponders what he knows about this Brelish Thieves' Guild and The Crossed Candles.

"Akos! Stop flirting, we need to warn the others!" the kobold calls out to his companion, and whatever he was going to do next is interrupted by the sword thrown into Shylock's back.

"Fool thief," Tuck hisses, followed by a foul curse in his race's version of the Draconic language, and his reptilian eyes narrow as they focus on the assassin still standing - for now. He aims his fine crossbow, but changes his mind when Relgar unexpectedly kicks the man on the knee.

Dropping his crossbow, Tuck slips his deceptively dull looking sword out of its sheath and from the other side stabs the blade in hard.

Mutt moves after his intended target, and if he still stands, will bite him again.

OOC: Moving up to the third assassin, flanking with Relgar (+2), and attacking with the +1 shortsword:

Shortsword: 1D20+9 = [3]+9 = 12 for 1D4 = [4] = 4 damage

If the assassin still stands, Mutt will attack too:

Mutt: 1D20+7 = [6]+7 = 13 for 1D6+5 = [3]+5 = 8 damage

Last edited:

Remove ads