Kulan: Knightfall's Crisis in Bluffside Game [IC]

Envisioner

Explorer
OOC: Less a punch in the face than a kick in the knee; Relgar is really mad, and he's not a fighter, so if he does get physical, he'll go straight for the dirty fighting route, not any attempt at a fair contest (which he would lose).

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
OOC:
Less a punch in the face than a kick in the knee; Relgar is really mad, and he's not a fighter, so if he does get physical, he'll go straight for the dirty fighting route, not any attempt at a fair contest (which he would lose).
Right, I missed that. I'll adjust my post.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Silverbow Inn:
Teresa snaps out of the worst of her fear and looks around her. She can only see Akos in front of her and the big dog. The others are in he magical sphere, out of sight. But she did hear Shylock talking. He's given up. She knows she can take the loremaster in front of her, if he would just stop talking long enough for her to gut him. She looks at the splintered table and knows she got lucky. Better to live.

"We will meet again," she coos at him while making a gesture that she's going to cut something off. Then she bolts before Akos can respond. She rushes out of the inn's front door into the streets of New City.

OOC: Teresa withdraws from combat as full-round action. Double moves. Akos can follower her, but she's through the inn's door before he acts. If he doesn't follow her, he can move and attack the last assassin in the tiny hut or do something else.

Relgar looks up with anger at the assassin of his would-be assassin. Since he's just disarmed himself in what appears to be desperation, the wizard assumes he no longer poses a threat, and a sudden surge of righteous indignation overcomes him. Not even bothering to conjure another Invisible Needle, he strides forward and aims a kick at the knees or vitals of the new attacker.

OOC: Unarmed attack. Rules-wise I'm probably just going to get myself punched, but it seems in-character to try. I'll let you just decide for yourself whether it works.
The assassin is taken aback by Relgar's boldness, yet the clumsy kick is easily avoided by the Brelish rogue. He shakes his head in disbelief.

OOC: Relgar: Unarmed Attack > 1d20+2=10+2=12 (miss)

"Lady Émilienne," Tuck breathes in shock. "Lady Pomander..."

Shylock's other words register as well, and the urban ranger ponders what he knows about this Brelish Thieves' Guild and The Crossed Candles.

"Akos! Stop flirting, we need to warn the others!" the kobold calls out to his companion, and whatever he was going to do next is interrupted by the sword thrown into Shylock's back.

"Fool thief," Tuck hisses, followed by a foul curse in his race's version of the Draconic language, and his reptilian eyes narrow as they focus on the assassin still standing - for now. He aims his fine crossbow, but changes his mind when Relgar unexpectedly kicks the man on the knee.

Dropping his crossbow, Tuck slips his deceptively dull looking sword out of its sheath and from the other side stabs the blade in hard.

Mutt moves after his intended target, and if he still stands, will bite him again.

OOC: Moving up to the third assassin, flanking with Relgar (+2), and attacking with the +1 shortsword:
Shortsword: 1D20+9 = [3]+9 = 12 for 1D4 = [4] = 4 damage

If the assassin still stands, Mutt will attack too:
Mutt: 1D20+7 = [6]+7 = 13 for 1D6+5 = [3]+5 = 8 damage
The assassin is a slippery fellow, even covered in goo. Not only does he dodge Relgar's kick, but also he manages to avoid Tuck's blade. Mutt, however, bites the man hard in the back. He quickly steps away from the kobold and draws his dagger and stabs out at Relgar. But Mutt bites the man's ass off. The big dog chomps down hard on a soft spot and the assassin goes down bleeding from his rump.

OOC: The assassin isn't shaken this round. He was shaken last round and cowering the same round as Akos performed his intimidation (since he was after Akos in the initiative order). Mutt gets an AoO against the assassin but not Relgar (since he's not armed) or Tuck.
Mutt: AoO > 1d20+7=27 (hit, possible crit.), Confirm Roll > 1d20+7=13 (not a crit.), Damage > 1d6+5=10
Assassin: Dagger vs. Relgar > 1d20+6=20 (hit), Damage > 1d4+1=5

Last edited:

Scotley

Hero
Breva recovers himself though it is a challenge for him to shift from combat to social grace so swiftly. He does his best and bows over the woman's hand as he takes it. "A pleasure to meet you Lady Émilienne. I am Breva Sciarra and as you have noted a servant of the Purifier. I am currently working under orders from Silvon Silas." He bends to clean his blade on one of the fallen men's cloaks and the carefully puts the sword away. "I expect that we can manage to get these trouble makers to whatever serves a lockup without manacles. I think we beat most of the fight out of them for the nounce at least."

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Custodio said:
"...I wished I had two more for these others. We should bind them, but I left my pack with my rope back at the manor."

Tim takes one of the Loyalist's cloaks and rips it into several, wide strips, which he ties tightly, in order to bind their hands and feet.

Tim bows to Lady Émilienne, "We'll need to call for a wagon; with all three bound and unconscious, we can't exactly drag them through the streets. Justice should be swift and harsh, unyielding, but never cruel."

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Akos calls after the departing assasssin "Bring your silver weapons along with some friends!"

He turns quickly and enters the magical dome. Surveying the situation, he checks on Shylok. If possible he stabilizes the man, who knows what he can tell now that he is broken. But the information will go stale quickly once Teresa reaches the guild.

"We need to find others and quickly. If you're wounded, speak now. We need to go."

Last edited:

Envisioner

Explorer
Relgar spares the wounded man one more glance, a disgusted look on his face which he doesn't bother trying to conceal, even though he could do so with the tiniest thought thanks to his Illusion mask. "What's the emergency?" he queries of the other arcanist.

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
"Didn't you hear Shylok?! They are targeting all of the group and some other besides. Maybe they didn't yet find them. And I'd rather be behind an Elite when the killers come next time." Akos answers getting Shylock in manacles.
Ooc: the other assasssin is dead? Is Shylock?

Last edited:

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
Outside the Theater on the Bluff:
Vinccenzo d'Lucio can't believe his luck. As a member of the Sectarian Guard, he has been favored in the Wizard District. Yet, one mistake and he ends up pulling guard duty in Old City. The assignment is terrible and the Bluffside Regulars can't stand him. Walking the perimeter, he notes three men heading towards an older section of the district. One of them is very tall and decked out like a noble. The other looks like a priest while the third is dressed all in black. They don't seem to out of place but someone is following them.

Two men in hoods and cloaks follow them down the street. The trio goes one way. The two in cloaks stop and then walk around the other side of the building. Soon all five of the men are out of sight.

What to do? Vinccenzo's not being paid to break up fights, only guard the theater. That's for the other guards to do but they're no where in sight.

'Hmm, Help the city guard and follow the dark clad mystery duo. He has haste memorized for training in the discipline.'

Vincenzo moves with a hustle to the corner where he last saw the tailing dark duo disappear behind. 'They can't be up to any good now can they? If i see any guard I will try and get their attention.'

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Old City:
Breva recovers himself though it is a challenge for him to shift from combat to social grace so swiftly. He does his best and bows over the woman's hand as he takes it. "A pleasure to meet you Lady Émilienne. I am Breva Sciarra and as you have noted a servant of the Purifier. I am currently working under orders from Silvon Silas." He bends to clean his blade on one of the fallen men's cloaks and the carefully puts the sword away. "I expect that we can manage to get these trouble makers to whatever serves a lockup without manacles. I think we beat most of the fight out of them for the nounce at least."
"Breva was sent to find out why Sir Silvon hadn't been getting my reports," Custodio adds. "It turns out that someone has been intercepting them. Sir Silvon sent messages from the temple but I never received them." He pats Breva on the shoulder. "Breva agreed to come along to help us deal with the creature in the Gardens and with the renegade. It is good he was with us when these Loyalists attacked. I'm not sure if Tim and I could have taken all three of them without his help."

Lady Émilienne says to Breva. "I am glad you were here to help these good men. Thank you."

Tim takes one of the Loyalist's cloaks and rips it into several, wide strips, which he ties tightly, in order to bind their hands and feet.

Tim bows to Lady Émilienne, "We'll need to call for a wagon; with all three bound and unconscious, we can't exactly drag them through the streets. Justice should be swift and harsh, unyielding, but never cruel."
"I let the Elites guarding the Palace know that I was attacked just outside of the Wizard District, and they are currently sending out a patrol to take one my attackers — a tower wizard turned traitor — into custody. As the assassins tried to kill me, they boasted that others would soon attack both you two and Relgar, so I had the Palace guards send out word to look for all. We should find a guard patrol and have them take these men into custody. I believe a saw a handful patrolling near the theater." She looks around the alley. "Where is Relgar? I thought he was with you?"

"No, he's with Akos and Tuck in the Undercity talking to the bard," Custodio replies. "If they get ambushed down there..." Custodio pauses. "Did you hear something?"

'Hmm, Help the city guard and follow the dark clad mystery duo. He has haste memorized for training in the discipline.'

Vinccenzo moves with a hustle to the corner where he last saw the tailing dark duo disappear behind. 'They can't be up to any good now can they? If i see any guard I will try and get their attention.'
Once at the corner of the building, Vinccenzo peers around to see three men and a woman conversing over three fallen foes — the men in dark cloaks. The three men are the ones he saw go into the alley, initially, but he didn't see the woman before now. She's dressed like a wizard, so perhaps she was invisible. They aren't trying to be quiet and the tallest man takes off one of the fallen foe's cloaks and tears it into strips and uses it to bind the hands and feet of two of the fallen men. The third foe has already been manacled, but they tie his feet as well.

"Did you hear something?" One of the men asks. He scans the alley and sees Vinccenzo. "You there. State your..." the man pauses. "A Sectarian Guard," he says to the tall man. He sheaths his blade and walks towards Vinccenzo. "I am Custodio Vecchi of the Bluffside Elite. These prisoners need to be taken into custody at once. They are minions of the renegade sorcerer who devastated the New City district and who is still at large here in Old City."

The woman, an elf, motions for Vinccenzo to step forward. "I am Lady Émilienne. Did the Wizard Council send you to find me?"

OOC: Note that while Vinccenzo hasn't heard of Custodio (without a Knowledge [local] check), he has definitely heard of Lady Émilienne! She is a well-known arcanist in the Wizard District, although as a member of the Bluffside Elite she stands a bit apart from the Sectarian Guards. Still, she is quite respected (sometimes envied) among Vinccenzo's peers.

Remove ads