Kulan: Knightfall's Crisis in Bluffside Game [IC]

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth

Upon seeing the creature, Tim's eyes widen, as he realizes that this must be his intended prey! Knowing that lives are at stake, and having heard the creature brag about its skills as a murderer, Tim does not hold back; he swings low with the greatsword, raking the blade across the creature's legs, to throw it off balance; the follow-up is, however, the more brutal attack. Tim leans into the creature's space, taking advantage of his relative size, and brings Rizvan crashing down, full force, upon the thing's skull! There is a sickening crunch as the hardened shield meets flesh and bone...

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
AKOS ARRIVES AT THE MILL OF HOOVES:
Akos is not one for doubting himself. With his knowledge of the city he fancies he could get anywhere blindly. Trusting the feel of cobblestones under his feet, gritty feel of fine dust and not quite smell that always hangs around the stables, he continues his headless flight in the fog. He trusts into his armor skin for occasional misalignment of his body, slamming the shoulder into a wall in his haste to go through narrow alleyway and into his luck not to run straight onto wary guards iron spear-point or unwary footpads that would dare to stand in his way.
Akos finds his way through the fog towards the stables most of the way. Then, he is forced to stop for a moment at an intersection. He knows the way, the but the deepening fog makes him hesitate. A horse whinny in the distance to his left sets him off in that direction, but half-way down the next block, he realizes he is going the wrong way. He turns around and heads back the way he came and has a narrow miss with a carriage rushing through the street in the dark and fog. If it hadn't had lamp lights hanging next to the coachman and the trotting of horse hooves, Akos likely would have been run over.

Damn nobles!

Akos finds his way to the Mill of Hooves and rushes into the stables through its double doors, slightly ajar. Inside, the large barn is full of horses deep in repose. If there is something wrong, the horses don't seem to be bothered by it. Akos does not smell blood in the air. Wherever the boy is, the doppelganger hasn't left him someplace obvious. Akos is forced to search the stables including the loft. He finds a back door flung open and young Joseph Dale a dozen feet beyond in the alley with hay scattered over him.

Neurotic said:
OOC: the moment he sees the body in the stables he hits it with healing blast. With some luck he will shave off some seconds of the healing needed. Or waste them if there are dead bodies there :)
The healing stabilizes the boy, but Akos can tell that there is something else wrong, when he examines the lad. A deep dagger wound has healed but the skin around it remains discolored. It is a putrid blue and black color. The boy has been poisoned.

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
"No time to waste, but I cannot leave my friends to that assassin either. Where could this boy go? Temple? Which one is close? But I cannot carry him, he will have to do it himself. Lets see..."

Akos thinks quickly about the optimal way to do this. First, wake the boy. At his command, his wide belt pulses and golden glow settles over the boy even as the blessing of his queen flows into him. That should wake even those almost dead.

"Come on, boy, you need to get yourself to the temple! I'll help you through the fog, but we must go immediately. My friends are in danger."
Local knowledge (find the closest temple on the way back): 1D20+11 = [5]+11 = 16

Akos sighs and checks the wound - his healing may have made things worse since there is no cut for the poison to go out of. At least he has a small sample at where the edges of the wound were since blood is no longer washing it away.

Heal check - against poison: 1D20+10 = [12]+10 = 22

Actions:
1. Healing belt: 2D8 = [3, 8] = 11
2. Vernal touch - removes dazed, nauseated, fatigued and exhausted from the living creatures
3 (assuming the boy wakes up) - push him as fast as he can go to the nearest temple that is in general direction of the fight. Unless there is one quite close the opposite way (so Akos can make up the time lost by running back)
3 (boy does NOT wake up) - heal against the poison - roll extras if there is something that would help identify it (arcana et al)

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Breva knows he is facing a deadly creature. A shapeshifter than can also damage the mind and soul is something to be respected if not feared. He moves towards where the doppelganger moved towards after the paladin's failed strike. He moves quickly and without hesitation. He is surprised to come upon the creature skulking towards what appears to be a large shape in the fog.

The doppelganger is just as surprised to see Breva, as the paladin slices a wide arc with his greatsword. The beast manages to duck the swing, which is a bit higher than Breva had wanted. The paladin remains stoic as the doppelganger counters once with its dagger. The strike is very clumsy and blocks it easily with his shield. The doppelganger loses the serrated blad on the ground and it curses at the paladin in a guttural language.

Upon seeing the creature, Tim's eyes widen, as he realizes that this must be his intended prey! Knowing that lives are at stake, and having heard the creature brag about its skills as a murderer, Tim does not hold back; he swings low with the greatsword, raking the blade across the creature's legs, to throw it off balance; the follow-up is, however, the more brutal attack. Tim leans into the creature's space, taking advantage of his relative size, and brings Rizvan crashing down, full force, upon the thing's skull! There is a sickening crunch as the hardened shield meets flesh and bone...
Tim arrives on the scene just in time to witness the doppelganger try to stick Breva with its dagger. Breva knocks the blade away with his shield and the monstrous humanoid drops the blade.

With its attention squarely on Breva, it doesn't see Tim come up behind him before its too late to ready itself. The greatsword slices deep into the creature's legs and it screams like a dying horse. The doppelganger grabs at its thighs just as Rizvan slams down on its head and shoulder. The creature gasps and stumbles and then howls in agony.

Somehow, the creature manages to stay upright.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
The fog parts for a moment and Vinccenzo is able to clear see the doppelganger is combat with both Breva and Big Tim. The sectarian guard takes aim with his light crossbow and fires. The bolt impacts the doppelganger's shoulder and embeds itself. "Ha! Got it!"

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Tuck stands very still, as he knows sounds travel strangely in these mists. Is that the doppelganger's footsteps? Aha!

The kobold rushes forward, only to scare cat rummaging through some trash.

Mutt likewise gets confused as the dog cannot find its target, despite his sensitive nose. There are just so many smells and the sounds of various people and creatures about!

OOC: Tuck listen: 1D20+4 = [1]+4 = 5
Tuck spot: 1D20-2 = [13]-2 = 11
Mutt listen: 1D20+7 = [8]+7 = 15
Mutt spot: 1D20+2 = [8]+2 = 10

So I'm guessing both Tuck and Mutt get lost in the mists. (Ravenloft, here we come. ;) )

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Ooc: 'fun' fact...I mentioned Ravenloft in a game yesterday (swamp, mists, undead infestation...you know, the works ). The guys are somewhat younger than my 43 ranging 27 to 35. The reaction? 'What? Ravenloft? Never heard of it. Is that a campaign?' Only one recognized it vaguely like something he saw in a computer game...I mean come on it's a classic!

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
OOC: Ravenloft, heh. No you're not going there. Actually, Tuck's Spot check beats the doppelganger's hide check for this round (posted on the OOC thread). Mutt both sees and hears the doppelganger. Basically, the fog seems to part for this round. A lucky break.

The doppelganger has Breva on one side of it and Big Tim on the other. Tuck and Mutt are roughly 25 feet away from it on the side where Breva is standing. Vinccenzo is off to Tuck's right, about 15 feet away but about five feet farther away. Tuck can move in and flank with Big Tim next to Breva.

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
OOC: Nice! Guess I was looking at the numbers for last round. Well, here is my adjusted action then! :)

Just when the kobold is about to give up, the mist seems to part enough for him and Mutt to see the doppelganger, engaged by Breva and Big Tim.

Not about to lose his target again, and not wanting to risk shooting his allies, Tuck closes in quickly and with his fine shortsword, starts harrassing the killer from another angle.

"Around," he orders Mutt as the large canine leaps forward as well, not listening to the order yet but nearly pushing its owner aside in order to get his fangs into the shapeshifter.

OOC: Tuck attacks with +1 shortsword: 1D20+7 = [5]+7 = 12
Damage: 1D4 = [4] = 4

Mutt attacks with bite: 1D20+6 = [9]+6 = 15
Damage: 1D6+4 = [2]+4 = 6

If there are any bonuses from the doppelganger being in melee with now 4 enemies, add those to the numbers rolled.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases