Kulan: Knightfall's Crisis in Bluffside Game [OOC]

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Not sure about what character I want to play. There's a concept of a kobold (possibly rogue) dancing around in my head, but it doesn't 'click' just yet.

Are there any major roles missing that anyone would like me to consider?
You could try the urban ranger option from Unearthed Arcana, if a rogue doesn't grab you. Big Tim is definitely the front line bruiser but with flair. @Neurotic has the healer covered, plus there is the cleric NPC with you guys too. So, I wouldn't worry about that.

I think @Scott DeWar's PC is more wizard than rogue right now, but he's heading towards the Swiftblade prestige class. I'm not sure what @Aust Thale has planned, but I'd say something roguish would be good. The game has been 100% a city-based campaign so far, but there will be some planar machinations.

(Big Tim is already aware that the renegade's lair is a pocket plane that you'll need a planar key for, so there's that to consider. That was discovered by the previous group of PCs.)

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
No and no. It will be human or lesser aasimar (better stats, but no feat) Cloister Clr 3 war 2 Eldritch disciple 1. Next level either aasimar level (and buy off). Why? I can go pure warlock... But we need some healing. And its faster to do existing character
Ah, good to know. Thanks.

Aust Thale

Adventurer
For rolling, you need to do as follows, roll 4d6 and drop the lowest die, do this nine times, and then pick the best six rolls and arrange them as you wish.

Your PC gets an extra heirloom item worth up 2,500 gp. You can choose to make a backstory for item, or not, just note it on the PC sheet, so I know. Finished PCs should be posted in this thread: 3.5 - Kulan: The Ancient Lands of Kanpur

After the point I've linked to, is the Campaign Guide/Rogues Gallery for this game (including a summary of what has gone on previous with the game on a different forum). The stuff posted prior to that is mainly background for the massive continent where the game is set on my world. The Northwest subregion is the most important one for the game, and I've already posted links to maps for the campaign here on this thread.

Here are more details about races you can use, although you can choose a different race, if you like. Those are just the more common races for Bluffside. Just no races with a LA above +1.

Knightfall, Several questions:
1) Can we buy off a LA+1 ? I'm examining a Hobgoblin Unseen Seer....yeah, I know; it's goofy... adapted from something Hawke had in his stash (we live close in RL).
2) Can we homebrew an ACF (the Halfling Wizard Alternative Spell option from Dragon #336, p.102): wizard only gets one spell add at level 3 instead of two; spell can be from any list, but if not from Arcane list, then it's subject to being a 2nd level spell?
3) What kind of reception would a Hobgoblin wizard (multi-classed rogue/unseen seer) receive from Houses? Would he be a renegade? What kind of racial antipathy can a character such as that receive?
4) How much "crafting" do you have in Bluffside? Is this a worthwhile skill (we've had to force downtime in PBP games for crafting; otherwise, it begs the question "what's the point?"
5) Do you allow Guidance of the Avatar as a spell in your game? (it's the Ferris Bueller of skill buffs)

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Knightfall, Several questions:
1) Can we buy off a LA+1 ? I'm examining a Hobgoblin Unseen Seer....yeah, I know; it's goofy... adapted from something Hawke had in his stash (we live close in RL).
Yes, you can buy off Level Adjustment as per UA. There is also a homebrewed Half-Hobgoblin race on the D&D Wiki you can use. It doesn't have a LA. There would be very few half-hobgoblins in The Northwest, however. Half-goblins are more common, but their conceptions are usually based on violent encounters between evil krugs and human settlers. A half-hobgoblin's birth would be more likely to be based on a love match.

A hobgoblin rogue would be quite normal while a hobgoblin rogue/wizard would be an oddity. If the PC dresses like a wizard, he'll be looked at with amusement until he proves his abilities. Then people will be wary.

Aust Thale said:
2) Can we homebrew an ACF (the Halfling Wizard Alternative Spell option from Dragon #336, p.102): wizard only gets one spell add at level 3 instead of two; spell can be from any list, but if not from Arcane list, then it's subject to being a 2nd level spell?
Hmm, I think I have that issue. I'll look it up and get back to you.

Aust Thale said:
3) What kind of reception would a Hobgoblin wizard (multi-classed rogue/unseen seer) receive from Houses? Would he be a renegade? What kind of racial antipathy can a character such as that receive?
As a wizard, he wouldn't be a renegade. It is mainly spontaneous arcane casters that are viewed in a bad light, except for bards. He'd have to be a member of one of the houses, eventually. It most likely would be the House of Divination since divination spells are a requirement of the prestige class. He could join the Universal Wizardry house but that would be an unusual choice. He would be more accepted in that House, however.

Hobgoblins are one of the few goblinoid races that are respected by humans (for their martial prowess), if not completely trusted. Goblins are goblins, after all. There are many hobgoblin mercenary companies that ply their trade in both The Northwest and The Southwest, as well as towards the Center Lands to the east. Still, a hobgoblin PC is a rare sight in the Bluffside Region, but it is a 'standard' option.

While hobgoblins are strongly lawful on Kanpur (and in other parts of the world), not all of them tend towards evil. Most of their mercenary companies have lawful neutral leaders while other traditional commanders tend towards lawful evil. A lawful good hobgoblin merc would be unique but not impossible. Hobgoblins are more likely to be neutral evil or true neutral rather than LG.

You PC isn't likely to suffer more racial antipathy than other nonhuman races. They likely wouldn't be as accepted as the demihuman races, but they would likely fit in much like half-orcs do. There are roughly 600 half-orcs living and working in Bluffside. Sure, most of them live in less influential districts and in either Sordadon or The Undercity, but they are part of the city. A hobgoblin PC would be more unique but monstrous features aren't a dealbreaker in Bluffside society.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
This post on my Kanpur thread gives an overview of The Northwest:

Besides the races listed there, these are the other races that can be found anywhere on Kanpur.

Common
Baklath, the
● Halfling
● Human
● Kobold

Uncommon
● Draconic creature [Template] | [Dragontouched †]
Fremlin
● Tiefling

Rare
● Aasimar
● Asherake (d20)
Dragonborn [Modified] †

Very Rare
● Half-Dragon [Template]
● Kobold, dire (d20)
● Zenythri

† Homebrewed racial traits.

Last edited:

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
You could try the urban ranger option from Unearthed Arcana, if a rogue doesn't grab you. Big Tim is definitely the front line bruiser but with flair. @Neurotic has the healer covered, plus there is the cleric NPC with you guys too. So, I wouldn't worry about that.

I think @Scott DeWar's PC is more wizard than rogue right now, but he's heading towards the Swiftblade prestige class. I'm not sure what @Aust Thale has planned, but I'd say something roguish would be good. The game has been 100% a city-based campaign so far, but there will be some planar machinations.

(Big Tim is already aware that the renegade's lair is a pocket plane that you'll need a planar key for, so there's that to consider. That was discovered by the previous group of PCs.)

Urban Ranger may be a good fit! A kobold urban detective with a dire weasel... I like that. :)

Any organisations that may be candidates for the Favored Enemy feature, in that case?

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Urban Ranger may be a good fit! A kobold urban detective with a dire weasel... I like that. :)

Any organisations that may be candidates for the Favored Enemy feature, in that case?
Well, there are two groups of cutthroats/thugs that ply the streets and canals of Sordadon: the Golden Sabres and Hammers. However, they have less influence in Bluffside proper due to the local thieves guild, which has a stranglehold on the rest of Bluffside's vices. The name of the guild is kept quiet to the fear of reprisals, but most locals know what it is called:

Umbra Incognita

Who runs the guild is a complete mystery, however.

During the recent disaster in New City, the thieves' guild seems to be simmering quietly underneath society, waiting for things to get back to normal. The presence of the Bluffside Regulars and their second tier, the Bluffside Elites, has been heightened, so thieving and running protection rackets is tougher across the city right now (nearly impossible in New City, which is under martial law).

(FYI, think of the Regulars are your standard city guard and the Elites as musketeers.)

Another possible candidate is a group known as the Rising Swords. They played a part in the New City disaster and are an infamous group of mercenaries who are vicious and cruel. After the previous PCs uncovered one of the group's hideouts in the Undercity, most of their members have either slipped out of the city or gone into hiding. At least, that's the thought by the leaders of the Bluffside Regulars.

There is a group that work for the renegade sorcerer known as the Loyalists. They are completely loyal to Phelix Del Cannitha and none of them have ever been captured alive. They are fanatical and do not surrender and will even commit suicide to avoid capture. While it is known that Phelix comes from the city of Sharn far to the south, most of the Loyalists encountered by the previous PCs seemed to be local recruits.

You are very likely to come up against more members of the Loyalists since tracking and defeating their master is one of the key goals of the story. I'd say the Rising Swords would be next on the list, closely followed by the thieves guild.

Finally, you could also consider making members of House Del Cannitha* a favored enemy, but since Phelix is a pariah who was cast out of his house, you aren't likely to face other members of that Dragmonmarked House in Bluffside (unless they are also outcasts).

Note also that the ruins of Sem La Vah hold a lot of dangerous creatures (mainly at night) including vermin and the undead (mindless more than intelligent).

Once you have your PC more fleshed out with skills, you can roll to see if you know more about the clandestine groups in and around the city.

DM's Note: * Each of the standard Dragonmarked Houses from the Eberron CS have an altered name and background for my world. House Del Cannitha is the main one I've renamed, so far.

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Okay, @Aust Thale, I think you've managed to pick one of the few Dragon Magazines that I don't own. So, unless I discover that I have a copy of it, I'm going to have to say no. Of course, you could take a picture of it with your phone and PM it to me.

Remove ads