Kulan: Knightfall's Heroes of Carnell Game [IC]

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Caerth curses. "Stop attacking every creature you see!"

Not bothering to explain himself further, the druid quickly pulls his arms together, magic already altering his form, and when he opens his arms again they are wings revealing an avian beak. Once more, Caerth has transformed into a dire owl and now hoots menacingly at the giant scorpion.

OOC: Apparently, wild empathy doesn't work on vermin. I think it's weird, but there you go. Instead, I opted to wild shape into a dire owl, since owls eat scorpions.

And I will try to scare it off.

intimidate: 1D20 = [11] = 11
Do I get a bonus for picking a creature that hunts scorpions? :unsure:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Caerth curses. "Stop attacking every creature you see!"

Not bothering to explain himself further, the druid quickly pulls his arms together, magic already altering his form, and when he opens his arms again they are wings revealing an avian beak. Once more, Caerth has transformed into a dire owl and now hoots menacingly at the giant scorpion.
Some sort of primal instinct in the scorpion's alien mind makes it stop. It focuses on the dire owl and clacks its claws. The insect feels fear and it backs away from the adventurers. Then, it turns and flees back to its hiding spot in the ruins.

OOC: Apparently, wild empathy doesn't work on vermin. I think it's weird, but there you go. Instead, I opted to wild shape into a dire owl, since owls eat scorpions.

And I will try to scare it off.

intimidate: 1D20 = [11] = 11
Do I get a bonus for picking a creature that hunts scorpions? :unsure:
OOC: You can use Bully Animal for this check, so Strength instead of Charisma for the Intimidate check. That's a total of 15. If Caerth's dire owl form was bigger, then I'd give a +2 circumstance bonus. But, even in dire owl form, he's still smaller than the monstrous scorpion.
Huge Scorpion - Level Check: 1D20+10 = [3]+10 = 13 (fails)

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Just as Aureus is about to nock an arrow and fire her bow, Caerth transforms back into a dire owl and hoots menacingly at the scorpion. The beast seems confused and backs away. Then it turns and runs away.

"Well, I didn't expect that," she says.

"But a good plan," Phar notes. He looks at Caerth in owl form. "Sorry my friend, I don't like giant insects. A bad experience when I was a lot younger."

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Aureus nods to Caerth as she moves forward to check the ruin's entryway for traps and inspect the next set of doors. She spends a great deal of time going through the loose rubble in the room's southwestern corner. She seems a bit confused by what she is finding. After a long while, she shakes her head and moves on to inspect the rest of the room. The columns fascinate her for nearly 5 minutes before Phar clears his throat. She looks at her friend and sighs. But, then she nods.

She moves to the reinforced double wooden door and carefully inspects it for traps. She takes her time. It doesn't seem to be trapped, but she's not entirely sure. It is locked, however.

She get out her tools and begins to work the lock. She, again, becomes confused, and then very frustrated. She growls at the door in anger and then she accidentially snaps one of her favourite lockpicks in half. She curses and kicks the door.

"Stupid lock," she says. She is completely frustrated. She puts her tools away and turns to the others. "I don't think it's trapped, but I can't get it open."

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
While Aureus struggles with the lock on the double doors, Caerth takes to the air and wings his way over the ruins looking for more signs of danger. What he discovers is that the ruin's various roofs are also in quite a state of disrepair. however, some of the interconnected buildings are in better shape and he finds a large courtyard that is overgrown with green wild grasses. It was likely once a cultivated garden of sort sort. There is also three low stone platforms. One has a dais on it, the other is for an old forge, and the third looks to be for cooking. There is also an old well and a ruined wagon in the courtyard.

The building that stands just north of it is in good repair and it has a 10 foot window built into its ceiling. While the rest of the ruins are covered in debris and desert dust, the courtyard and the building are free from such problems. Caerth finds the huge scorpion has made its lair in a old section of the ruin just east of the courtyard. It has either dug a pit into the roof or taken up residence there after the thicker walls collapsed. There is a pile of rubble next to wall, which likely gives the creature easy access to the courtyard.

As Caerth wings his way back to his companions, he finds that there is another skylight built into what looks like it might be a long hall with a flat roof, which is really bad shape. The rooftop window is broken and Caerth can see that sand and rubble has piled up on the floor underneath it.

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Angus stares, his mouth agape with disbelief for a few moments.

Finally, he says, "Wow. Ah dinna' expect that. Ah've known Druids who could calm or shoo away big animals, but ah always thought that vermin were too small-brained ta' be influenced lock that. Ah'm guessin' ah was wrung."

Angus nods at Caerth with admiration and respect. He is clearly impressed with Caerth's ability.

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Caerth finishes his flight over the ruins, then returns to his companions. He hoots once, then realizes he cannot speak in this form and changes back into his half-orc self.

Reporting what he has seen, he adds, "Best not to disturb anything further. We should just rest and move on."

OOC: See the OOC thread and the post above for details on what Caerth saw.

Remove ads