D&D 5E L&L 3/11/2013 This Week in D&D

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
But of course... we also have a lot of 4Eisms that we need to remember just haven't been created YET... not that they aren't going to be in AT ALL. Like all the tactical miniatures gridded play? Not yet implemented (but pretty easy to see how it can and will be).

The reason why 4E players have not seen "their game" yet is quite simple-- "their game" ISN'T. Isn't simple. At all. It's the most tactically complex combat system (with miniatures and grids and movement etc. etc.) that D&D had ever seen. So why the heck would any of you think any of that stuff would appear in the beginning / first half of the playtest? You've all been waiting for advanced modules to show up before the basic and standard modules have even been completed. That's just silly.

Why not take the reasonable approach and think to yourself that perhaps it might be... oh, I don't know... after all the races and classes get finished before you might start seeing some of the advanced modules start to show up for testing? Call me crazy... but wanting a playable replica of 4E before we've even got the stupid RANGER to playtest is kinda putting the cart before the horse, don'tcha think?
Still flogging that old horse, eh?

I have said this many times in many threads, that it will take a lot more than just 'tactical rules module, and done' to capture what it is that I like about 4e, and I don't think that I'm alone here. There is a lot more to the feel and play of that edition than a grid. In fact, I run it gridless quite a bit and it still plays fine, so that's missing the point entirely.

I think a lot of people, Mearls and co included, are missing something about what 4e is about for a lot of us, and it runs deeper than any tacked-on tactical module can fix, and if that's the extent of their understanding of the issue, then it doesn't bode well for seeing my interests represented in Next.

So, kindly drop the snark and condescending tone towards those of us who are 'complaining' about Next. We're simply advocating for what we feel is being thrown under the bus from our preferred edition.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
So, kindly drop the snark and condescending tone towards those of us who are 'complaining' about Next. We're simply advocating for what we feel is being thrown under the bus from our preferred edition.

And you are flogging the same horse. You apparently know that 5E won't be 4E in whatever nebulous "feeling" you get from 4E... and yet you still continue to comment on it. So you're banging your head against a wall advocating for things that you apparently already know aren't going to happen... the same way that we bang our heads against a wall telling you that we think many of your complaints are possibly without merit because you're expecting too much from the playtest too soon.

The obvious solution (IMO) is to simply continue to run 4e style games with 4e.

Sure, and then what? Just shut up about 5e and not have an opinion? lol.

Honestly, I'm not sure who all the OP was referring to as up in arms about this column. I have not seen ANY commentary on it except this here. The commentary I've seen recently was on a Q&A blog post by Rodney and the latest podcast with Mike and IIRC also Rodney, but maybe it was someone else. THOSE got people up in arms and there are reasons for that. THIS column discussed here? Pfffff, it says very little IMHO. Most of what it is saying seems to be "well, spells can be a bit less general and a little more niche now that wizards have even more ways to cast other spells instead", which is true. I might have issues with THAT, but those are a whole other kettle of fish. What Mike is saying HERE could easily apply to ANY game design basically.

And you are flogging the same horse. You apparently know that 5E won't be 4E in whatever nebulous "feeling" you get from 4E... and yet you still continue to comment on it. So you're banging your head against a wall advocating for things that you apparently already know aren't going to happen... the same way that we bang our heads against a wall telling you that we think many of your complaints are possibly without merit because you're expecting too much from the playtest too soon.

So, you are just recommending that we all throw up our hands and walk out of Mike's 'big tent' eh? I guess the question is why do you even read threads like this one? WHAT ELSE would be posted here except "here's what we have problems with" statements? Glowing praise for how all us 4e fans have been shown the light by Mike & Co and have decided that DDN is the best thing ever? You know THAT isn't going to happen, and if we all do as you say then there will be nothing but an empty room here. That's fine, it probably isn't worth posting in these threads in the 1st place in terms of changing anything, but it would be a pretty meaningless discussion without us. ;)

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
Honestly, I'm not sure who all the OP was referring to as up in arms about this column. I have not seen ANY commentary on it except this here.

I was talking about the comments on the article on the D&D site. The first several comments were [and these are exact quotes]: "Dear Mearls, just quit already," "Where's my kewl powers?" "Yet again another article to gives me reason not to buy or even play D&DN," "Well I guess 5E is doing a great job if the design goal is making jilted 4E haters feel vindicated," etc.

Each with a lot of likes/thumbs up.

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
I am not expecting "too much" from the playtest "too soon." Unless you interpret what I want as some half-baked tack-on module, which isn't what I want at all, nor is it what I'm talking about. And most comments downplaying the concerns of 4e advocates run along this route; "don't worry, you'll get your precious tactical module. There, there."

That's not what I'm asking for. How many times does this point need reiterating before it sinks in?

I know what I want isn't forthcoming because the things that I feel made 4e great are things baked in at the core system level, which Next doesn't seem to have. I like that 4e has mechanics that lend themselves to light narrativist drift. Nothing I've seen in Next really supports this even half as well; they're very consciously distancing themselves from that approach. If that's what they want to do, then fine, but at least be straight up about it instead of repackaging the same old flavour of D&D and trying to sell me on the fact that "it'll still play like 4e, because tactical module is coming!!!" Sorry, not buying it.

The structure of martial classes is a good example. The manoeuvres system might be mechanically balanced in terms of crunch, but it is sorely lacking in terms of mechanical and especially narrative equivalence. They're bland and unappealing so far. And I'm not even talking about necessitating an AEDU-power structure or a combat grid. I don't need either of those things to get the effect I'm after.

Peripheral to this, I liked roles. I liked power source. I liked the specificity of it. I liked how class features and the game's rules came together to allow you to make decisions about your character at a metagame level that reinforced the kind of character you want to play. Yet, I understand that it was not wholly popular and why they feel some need to distance themselves from it, even though I feel it's not the direction I want the game going. But I have to say so, or I have no right to complain if it doesn't turn out the way I want.

Case in point to this, I popped into a thread started by a PF GM asking for advice in his/her game, and it was still basic, basic stuff like players not building to cover all the roles that most PF/3.x players and the Next designers keep telling me aren't necessary. Okay. I remember having those kinds of conversations (years ago now) and seeing it again really underscored to me a lot of what 4e did right. And they want to un-do that? That's just one example.

Now it may be that when the 4e-ish module comes out, I may change my mind, but for now, all I can do is judge what I see, and what I see, I don't like as much as what I have, so I will keep advocating for something more to my liking. If I get it eventually, great (if it comes in a timely enough fashion), if not, then I have a game that I do like already. You're happy with Next? Great. Why criticize others for wanting to be happy as well?

So, you are just recommending that we all throw up our hands and walk out of Mike's 'big tent' eh? I guess the question is why do you even read threads like this one? WHAT ELSE would be posted here except "here's what we have problems with" statements? Glowing praise for how all us 4e fans have been shown the light by Mike & Co and have decided that DDN is the best thing ever? You know THAT isn't going to happen, and if we all do as you say then there will be nothing but an empty room here. That's fine, it probably isn't worth posting in these threads in the 1st place in terms of changing anything, but it would be a pretty meaningless discussion without us. ;)
Yep. I almost didn't respond because this pretty much covers it. :)

I was talking about the comments on the article on the D&D site. The first several comments were [and these are exact quotes]: "Dear Mearls, just quit already," "Where's my kewl powers?" "Yet again another article to gives me reason not to buy or even play D&DN," "Well I guess 5E is doing a great job if the design goal is making jilted 4E haters feel vindicated," etc.

Each with a lot of likes/thumbs up.
So what does that tell you? It tells me that they're risking the 3.x backlash all over again with this by "burning" their current customer base.

Now you could argue, and others have, that they're not doing that (or even that they didn't do that before) but it doesn't matter. Customer relations is all about perception. Right now, the perception is that 4e has been tossed in front of a bus or perhaps a train, depending on your exact level of vitriol. You could argue that this isn't accurate, but it's hard to ignore the derogatory comments they've made on things like skill challenges, "scream-heals," and
any number of other 4e-isms.

Personally, I think this is all a very calculated move on their part, and probably one they think is necessary; publicly trash all the things that drove the 3.x and earlier crowd away while 4e fans are still finishing up their campaigns (after all, we're probably still grinding our way through Heroic tier, pfft *eyeroll*), and then, once the older crowd is "won back" into the fold, that's when they release details about the Tactical Module and start talking about how Awesome(tm) everything about 4e was and Still Is in Next.

I picture it like a caricature of a corporate manager having a conversation in two phones at once (probably played by Mel Brooks), where he has one phone in each hand and tells one group one thing while holding the other phone to his chest, then switches off, except that we aren't really on the end of either phone, we're in the room and we can hear everything.

Last edited:

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
So, you are just recommending that we all throw up our hands and walk out of Mike's 'big tent' eh? I guess the question is why do you even read threads like this one?

Because there are plenty of people who are unlike you and Nemesis Destiny and who haven't already made up their minds about never playing Next. So it behooves the rest of us to make points that many of the things in the game which indeed ARE 4E-like if you look at them close enough... or might still be to come several months down the line. But false information (or at least misleading information) that 5E can in no way satisfy 4E players should not be allowed to propagate. And we'll keep pointing that out.

Sure, you and ND might not believe it... but that doesn't mean you are exempt from hearing it said.

* Oh, and BTW - don't think you guys are that special... because I've been speaking this kind of "moderation" IN SUPPORT of 4E to all the 3Eers on these boards for years now. I maintain a middle line in pretty much everything. ;)

Last edited:

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
Because there are plenty of people who are unlike you and Nemesis Destiny and who haven't already made up their minds about never playing Next.
That's a pretty big leap there, buddy. Neither of us said we won't play it, in fact AA said exactly the opposite. Thanks for putting words in our mouths though.

FWIW, I would also play it (I'll play just about anything), and I have said so in other threads about Next (maybe this one too, previously), but it doesn't look like anything I would want to run at this point, and it certainly wouldn't be my preference, but that is a far cry from "won't play it."

So it behooves the rest of us to make points that many of the things in the game which indeed ARE 4E-like if you look at them close enough... or might still be to come several months down the line. But false information (or at least misleading information) that 5E can in no way satisfy 4E players should not be allowed to propagate. And we'll keep pointing that out.

Sure, you and ND might not believe it... but that doesn't mean you are exempt from hearing it said.
False information says the guy who makes false attributions without reading the posts he's refuting. Right.

Last edited:

Warbringer

Explorer
Poor Updates and Chaos in the Ranks

before this thread is closed for personal venom that is coming form certain quarters, i wnat to voice my own personal concern that Mike Mearls needs to put some effort into L&L.

This weekly post is a vital resource for updating playtesters, the 35k plus fans that have given their time and excitement to this process and to be honest, Mearls is coming across that he really doesn't give a hoot.

By his own admission he's posting this stuff the business day before its meant to air, and to me that tells me he has no clear editoral calendar behind this. Add to that the simple fact the updates are garbage, void of any information or insight.

L&L is a valuable update tool and would be nice if the chief designer actually put some effort in ... oh and why'll we are at it, don't argue with junior staff in public, it really makes the team look unprofessional and lost.

Blackwarder

Adventurer
before this thread is closed for personal venom that is coming form certain quarters, i wnat to voice my own personal concern that Mike Mearls needs to put some effort into L&L.

This weekly post is a vital resource for updating playtesters, the 35k plus fans that have given their time and excitement to this process and to be honest, Mearls is coming across that he really doesn't give a hoot.

By his own admission he's posting this stuff the business day before its meant to air, and to me that tells me he has no clear editoral calendar behind this. Add to that the simple fact the updates are garbage, void of any information or insight.

L&L is a valuable update tool and would be nice if the chief designer actually put some effort in ... oh and why'll we are at it, don't argue with junior staff in public, it really makes the team look unprofessional and lost.

I find the L&L columns to be quite interesting, the 3-4 columns in January about how they want to build the game with Basic, Standard and Advanced was very interesting.

I do agree that the last couple of columns felt a bit lackluster in actual playtest content, or to be more precise it felt very vogue in relation to the playtest, couple that with the short length of them and we end up with the columns not engaging the reader.

I do want to point that James and Jon columns have been both highly engaging, educational and interesting since their conception, posting a (series of) open question or asking for player opinions really bring the feeling that we are being engaged in actual dialogue.

Warder

Remove ads