• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E L&L for 6/2

You said: "If Mongoose wants to 'trust each author' and just runn the books through a spell check then maybe mongoose shouldn't be allowed to put there stuff next to play tested and edited work." This is absurd, and I was highlighting that absurdity. Mongoose doesn't "put" their stuff anywhere. They sell their stuff to folks who buy it.

Nobody's forcing anybody to sell Mongoose's books. If you don't like Mongoose stuff, don't buy it. If game stores stock Mongoose stuff, then either they will find people who do want to buy it, or they will find themselves with a lot of unsold inventory and learn better. Either way, Mongoose can survive or die on its own merits without Wizards having to play gatekeeper.

Bull :):):):)
Wotc can and should make people who want a free ride on ther coat tails really work for it... The mongoose example is right from them read up on there anti babylon 5 stuff they openly admitted to not editing and as such not even knowing what they published...

Of course the fact that you didn't know that proves the problem... You walk in and see three sillimanite each looking professional but 1 was tested and edited one was worked on for ten times longer and the third the company putting it out didn't even look at it... That is not good buisness for d&d

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
Of course the fact that you didn't know that proves the problem... You walk in and see three sillimanite each looking professional but 1 was tested and edited one was worked on for ten times longer and the third the company putting it out didn't even look at it... That is not good buisness for d&d
Why does this need top-down oversight, though? This is a free-market problem, with a free-market solution: Everyone who buys it hates it, it gets 1 star on Amazon, and then nobody else buys it.

Why does this need top-down oversight, though? This is a free-market problem, with a free-market solution: Everyone who buys it hates it, it gets 1 star on Amazon, and then nobody else buys it.

Becuse if I buy one or two bad ones and 1 medium one I could give up on third party ones entirely and miss out on ones worth it...

Why does "allow 100 crap items and 20 good ones "work better then only allowing the 20 good ones and the one or two crap ones that get buy?

marleykat

First Post
Why should I have to vet every book I see? And reviews are subjective also. I would much rather see a select circle of publishers approved by WotC doing 3pp product then the free for all mess that the OGL caused for 3e.

Dausuul

Legend
Bull :):):):)
Wotc can and should make people who want a free ride on ther coat tails really work for it... The mongoose example is right from them read up on there anti babylon 5 stuff they openly admitted to not editing and as such not even knowing what they published...
Of course there are companies out there making crappy products. And you know what? If the products are really, genuinely crappy, such that there is nobody who finds any value in them, people will quit buying them and the companies making them will go out of business. That's the whole point of a free market.

There are many situations in which market forces don't work reliably. I see no reason to believe this is one of those situations. Mongoose has no monopoly to exploit, no negative externality to shove off on someone else. We regulate things like cars and produce for safety's sake, but there is no hazard of serious harm from a low-quality D&D book. If Mongoose's products are crap, don't buy them. If someone likes them and is buying them, you have no right to say "You aren't allowed to buy that thing that you want, because it doesn't live up to my standards."

Last edited:

Why should I have to vet every book I see? And reviews are subjective also. I would much rather see a select circle of publishers approved by WotC doing 3pp product then the free for all mess that the OGL caused for 3e.

Thank you for putting my thoughts better then I could..

Ps I don't believe in the free market at all I believe it's as much a fantasy as the games we play

Of course there are companies out there making crappy products. And you know what? If the products are really, genuinely crappy, such that there is nobody who finds any value in them, people will quit buying them and the companies making them will go out of business. That's the whole point of a free market.

There are many situations in which market forces don't work reliably. I see no reason to believe this is one of those situations. Mongoose has no monopoly to exploit, no negative externality to shove off on someone else. We regulate things like cars and produce for safety's sake, but there is no hazard of serious harm from a low-quality D&D book. If Mongoose's products are crap, don't buy them. If someone likes them and is buying them, you have no right to say "You aren't allowed to buy that thing that you want, because it doesn't live up to my standards."

Applying to the free market means 0 to me... So nothing you said made one bit of diffrence

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
Why does "allow 100 crap items and 20 good ones "work better then only allowing the 20 good ones and the one or two crap ones that get buy?
Because I don't trust WotC to decide what's good and what's crap. I'd rather let the audience decide.

Why should I have to vet every book I see?
Because that's what a smart consumer does. If you go into a store and plop down $20 on some product without knowing what it is or what it's worth, it's your own fault if it turns out to be a waste of money.

Dausuul

Legend
Four words pretty much demolish this argument: "Keep on the Shadowfell."

If Wizards can't even keep their own internal teams from releasing the occasional bomb, how do you expect them to do it with third-party material? They can't. Nobody can. If you want to be assured of buying something you like, you're going to have to vet it yourself. If you don't like that, well, sorry, but it's the way it is.

marleykat

First Post
Because that's what a smart consumer does. If you go into a store and plop down $20 on some product without knowing what it is or what it's worth, it's your own fault if it turns out to be a waste of money.
I don't do that anyway I do check things out but I don't find simple reviews on Amazon or whatever to be all that helpful to be honest. Especially after the 3e situation. I rarely, if ever get 3pp product for any RPG because of the lack of oversight the first time around for 3e.

Remove ads