• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E L&L for 6/2

Because I don't trust WotC to decide what's good and what's crap. I'd rather let the audience decide.

Because that's what a smart consumer does. If you go into a store and plop down $20 on some product without knowing what it is or what it's worth, it's your own fault if it turns out to be a waste of money.

I disagree 100% I don't know anyone who has both the time to bet all the books and the money to buy them... It is why we have so many anti 3pp 3.5 games. If I buy a book licenced I expect it to be working and edited atleast somewhat

marleykat

First Post

Four words pretty much demolish this argument: "Keep on the Shadowfell."

If Wizards can't even keep their own internal teams from releasing the occasional bomb, how do you expect them to do it with third-party material? They can't. Nobody can. If you want to be assured of buying something you like, you're going to have to vet it yourself. If you don't like that, well, sorry, but it's the way it is.
I rarely get modules or if I do they are more for ideas or quick drop ins into my existing world (sandbox). For example our group played Dragonlance but we never used the modules why would we?

And I expect licensed properties to have at least a modicum of editing and/or certain baseline of quality.

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
I disagree 100% I don't know anyone who has both the time to bet all the books and the money to buy them... It is why we have so many anti 3pp 3.5 games. If I buy a book licenced I expect it to be working and edited atleast somewhat
Why do you think that would take a lot of time? You see a product you might like, google it, and find out whether or not people liked it. If the reviews are good, buy it. If not, don't.

I thought that was a pretty common way of buying stuff.

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
Agreed. I suspect we're looking at GSL Part 2: Still A Lot Easier To Make Content For Pathfinder.

I'm getting the feeling there will be specific licenses only for some 3PP and freelancers as well as a GSL type deal for fan stuff (free-only).

I don't do that anyway I do check things out but I don't find simple reviews on Amazon or whatever to be all that helpful to be honest. Especially after the 3e situation. I rarely, if ever get 3pp product for any RPG because of the lack of oversight the first time around for 3e.
And some ovsrsight could stop that from repeteing and be better for everyone

marleykat

First Post
Why do you think that would take a lot of time? You see a product you might like, google it, and find out whether or not people liked it. If the reviews are good, buy it. If not, don't.

Not everybody.;)

Seriously I don't put much weight in reviews unless it's really obvious or I can't see the product physically to confirm them.

That doesn't work if you get conflicting reviews or if a product is new

Cybit

First Post

Unfortunately the gaming / buying of reviews for many products has started to taint online reviews; it is common now for companies to hire people whose sole job is to "viral market" the product, which often includes posting very positive reviews.

Also, does OGL cover 5E? I thought with the new release that they would be able to go after any blatant copies of their system.

Remove ads