D&D 5E L&L: new playtest packet 10/15, Druid update

darjr

I crit!
It's a monster!

The Druid that is. Or was originally.

I wish they felt like they could keep releasing packets. Did they get everything in this one?

Simplify and streamline? I would have to recalculate most of my stats when I transform. My ability scores change, my AC changes, my magic items vanish...

The Druid has the statblock of the animal form. So you use that AC, those ability scores, and the magic items don't have an effect until you turn back.

It's a great source of temp hit points, mind you. Makes the Fighter look anaemic.

gyor

Legend
The only things I think they releasing in this update are the druid with the new wildshape, and the Paladin subclass avenger. They may release more animal stats as well as an extention of the new wildshape.

Things I hope they release, but they haven't mentioned exactly is the Paladin's mount spell.

The Druid has the statblock of the animal form. So you use that AC, those ability scores, and the magic items don't have an effect until you turn back.

It's a great source of temp hit points, mind you. Makes the Fighter look anaemic.

And the same attack bonus too? Do I need to recalc that?

I'm also concerned that animals apparently have to be built with druids in mind. (Or worse, not! In which case someone will find a broken combo somewhere.)

Considering how close D&DN's rules are to Pathfinder's rules, I don't see why something like Pathfinder's wildshape ruleset. The druid isn't actually turning into an animal, it's turning into a pretty good copy. It doesn't need to replicate nearly every aspect of the animal.

Last edited:

fjw70

Adventurer
Yep, same attack bonus too. It is my understanding that the Druid use the animal stat block as written for everything except Int, Wis, and Cha. It should be pretty easy.

How do you figure out the attack bonus?

Melee Attack—Gore or Slam.
Proficiency bonus + Strength modifier to hit (reach 5 ft.; one creature).
Hit: 1d6 + Strength modifier piercing or bludgeoning damage.

This is the last public playtest's rules for turning into a steed. To me, this is vastly superior. It is in fact very similar to Pathfinder's system, except there's no actual stat bonus. Which is more of a feature than a bug, IMO.

(That packet didn't give druids a proficiency bonus based on level, but the rules change so fast I might have missed a universal bonus. Somewhere.)

IMO, a higher-level druid, turning into the same form, should have an advantage. Based on it's (expected, anyway) higher proficiency bonus, if nothing else.

Remove ads