• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Lakelands] Six For Adventure

Raven Crowking

First Post
Within the large tent a large table was set, heaped high with simple fare of springtime, before new growth can be harvested, but cunningly prepared to delight both eye and nose. Several chairs were placed around the table. As the adventurers entered, those who were seated rose. The man who had sat at the high-backed wooden chair at the table's head must be Lord Meryhahn. He had seen 50 winters at least, and he was balding. What grey-white hair remained he wore long, gathered by a blue ribbon behind him. His face was paunchy, and he was grwoing fat, but both face an hands showed old scars, and his brown eyes gleamed with a quick wit.

"Horom, Kregor. My friends," he said, "Come and sit." He indicated two places on his left-hand side. "Fill your trenchers. Eat."

(Trenchers are "platters" made of bread, that soak in gravy or other leavings of a meal. They are often collected to feed the poor, or are given to the hunting dogs, after eating. The person who's job it is to pass out the trenchers, and other alms, is called an almoner.)

The Lord Merryhahn sat, and then the others at the table sat also. There were four others at the table beside the Lord and the adventurers. Quick introductions were made. The man to the Lord's right, perhaps older than the Lord himself, but thin and sharp as a hawk, was Sir Conrade Pyredown, Seneschal of House Merryhahn since the previous Lord.

Next around the table was a younger man, wearing the robes and neck-torc of a priest of Mardan. The Four Arms of Marden were emblazoned upon his right breast. This was Father Evers, the Lord's personal chaplain.

A long-bearded and scarred dwarf with an eyepatch sat in the next chair. He grinned fiercely when introduced as Deran Deephand, Chief Architect and Provisioner. "Keeper of the Eschequer," he laughed. "By which he means I hold the purse strings of his House."

The final person there, seated to the left of the adventurers, was a fit woman in her mid-twenties, with sandy hair and brown eyes. This was the Lady Isleen Merryhahn, third daughter of the current Lord Merryhahn.

"Milords, Father... and milady," Horsom sketched a bow, pausing briefly to stretch his smile when greeting Isleen. "Careful," Horsom chided himself. "This lord is unlikely to favour a farmer turned sword-for-hire applying his (considerable) charms to his daughter." Letting Kregor take the lead in this discussion... or negotiation... or whatever this was, Horsom gave up the seat next to Lord Merryhahn to the orc. "Thank you for this incredible meal, milord. Everything seems ... delicious," this last capped with a small smile directed at Isleen. "Well, maybe just a little flrting..."

Raven Crowking

First Post
"So," said Lord Merryhahn, wiping gravy from his lips. "You are the slayers of the manticore? For that, you have my thanks. This was a harsh winter, and the lands I hold are scattered. Word of this...infestation...did not reach me until a little less than a week ago, and even then circumstances were such that I could not ride forth immediately. There has been hardship, and not only among men, for orcs and ogres are raiding many places in force. Nor can I long remain here. You have perhaps heard rumors of these purple knights laying claim to the road along the Selwyn? There, too, I have rights that I must assert or cede. I know that you have administered fair justice here, and have done so under the banner of the Church -- and it is a right granted the Archdeacon of Selby. So, again, you have my thanks."

The noble refilled his flagon from an earthenware jug of small beer. He sipped, and his eyes closed in satisfaction.

"Even so, Defender of Kell's Reach is not a title I would bandy about, were I you. That title belongs to me, and it belongs to my family when I am gone." He opened his eyes to look searchingly at Kregor and Horsom. "I would defend it with my last breath. Do not mistake more pressing duty elsewhere for apathy, or for cowardice."

maddmic

Explorer
Kregor raised his eyebrow at Horsom at the mention of 'Defenders of Kell's Reach'. He then clears his throat and addresses the Lord. "Lord Merryhahn, I must confess that I am not gifted with words as you are. We accept your thanks and are happy to have helped. I am sure that you have been made aware that there was a greater evil located here? One far more treacherous than the manticore?"

He clears his throat again, clearly not one used to doing things like this. "I'm sure that you have not called us here though to find out about what has happened here though. You spoke of other problems in your lands. I am guessing that you have perhaps invited us to your table with intentions of charging us to take care of some matter? Perhaps the knights you have mentioned? Or is it something else that you would have us investigate?" He then holds his breath, hoping that the words spoken were said correctly.

Raven Crowking

First Post
"At least they are direct," said Father Evers. "I find that refreshing."

"Aye. Among my people, as well, slyness is rather ill thought of, while the firm hand and eye -- and the firm tongue -- reveal the firm heart beneath." The Chief Architect and Provisioner raised his mug. "They have my confidence."

Sir Conrade Pyredown gave a curt nod.

The Lord Merryhahn glanced at his daughter. "Are you are all agreed then?"

Lady Isleen smiled, casting what might be a favorable eye upon the adventurers. "Perhaps," she replied slowly. "Yet there are things I would first hear. What do you mean, Priest Kregor, about a greater evil? Reason tells me that you speak of the miller, and the village's participation in old sacrifices, word of which has reached our ears. Yet reason is sometimes a liar, and I feel that there is more behind your words. I would ask you also if there be but two of you, for the task my father would set you may well require more."

maddmic

Explorer
Kregor is somewhat surprised that his words were not thrown back at him. He had never been gifted with telling people what they wanted to hear. His ways in the past had been straightforward and gotten him into some heated debated. He had been told in the past to be more diplomatic, but that was not in his ability at this moment.

He looked at the lords daughter and cleared his throat a third time. "This greater evil that we uncovered was something I do not have a name for. For the Miller's actions, the town dismantled the mill and a burial chamber below was found. We entered it as there was an uneasy feeling surrounding it. There were also dreams and words in our heads, but by what we didn't know." He looked to Horsom, perhaps for support, and then continued.

"While investigating the tomb, we encountered the walking dead. Once they had been laid to rest, we came to face the evil presence that I had felt." He goes on to describe the beast to the best of his ability. "After slaying this thing, I immediately felt that the area had been cleansed. We then put to draining the tomb of the foul water that had seeped in. Once that was done, we decided to venture back into the tomb to find out more about the beast that had inhabited it. Upon re-entering it, we found that there seemed to be should trapped. I cannot explain what we saw. I can only say that our overconfidence that things had been set right almost cost us dearly."

Kregor tries to describe the "souls" as best he can as well as their ability to take control over members of the party. He then takes a drink and faces the daughter again. "As for our number, yes it has dwindled. There is still a third though. I just do not know where he is. He is an elf and has a tendency to go off on his own from time to time."

"Sharp as a nail", mused Horsom admiringly. The woodsman of Long Archer murmured a "Thank you sirs and lady" before bending to his breakfast once more, letting Kregor take the lead on responding to Isleen's question.

Edit: maddmic posted while I was writing this. RC, assume this happens immediately preceding maddmic''s last post.

"All I would add to Kregor's recounting is that it was by his swift action that the demon in the dark, the Sly Hisser, was banished from this world." Horsom shuddered inwardly, recalling the unholy vista he had glimpsed with his mind's eye when the creature had been sucked from this realm of existence.

"I would consider it an honour to serve the Lord Merryhahn in whatever capacity I can. I would first like to request leave to further examine the tomb, both to ensure that none of the creature's minions remain behind and to study the contents of the ruin as well." He reddened slightly as he added: "I'm a bit of an ... errr... historian."

Raven Crowking

First Post
Listening to Kregor and Horsom's replies, Sir Pyredown frowned. "Overconfidence is the death of many a man. Be bold, but be not overbold...."

"....For then your life's blood shall run cold," finished the Lady Isleen. "Fair words." She turned to Horsom. "By historian I believe you mean expert treasure hunter." She laughed gently. "Fear not; we did not come here to take from you your prize."

"Although," said Father Evers thoughtfully, "were there anything truly strange down there, it might be best if I had a chance to examine it. Already foul magic is involved here. The demonolgy of the ancients sometimes needs a modern hand to undo."

"What of this confluence of trapped souls?" Lord Merryhahn asked the priest. "Is there ought you can do?"

"The power of Mardan can do much," replied the priest. "I, though, am but a humble vessel of His will. If Your Lordship believes that I should accompany these two into the pit, of course I will do so."

Lord Merryhahn stroked his chin with one hand. "What think you, Horsom? Kregor? I would have you finish your task here soon, if you were to undertake another task for me. There is a castle -- little more than a ruin now -- built of old within lands that I hold. It has long been overrun by an orcish host, and each time it has been emptied, other evil things creep within. I would have you clear this ruin, which troubles my land. And, if you will take the Vow of Service, I would have you rebuild and hold that castle as my vassals. What say you?"

Remove ads