D&D 5E last encounter was totally one-sided

Sacrosanct

Legend
Do I deny a player access to these abilities because they disrupt my image of how the scenario should play out?

I think this just reinforces the disconnect in our playing styles. For example, even the dumbest of all ancient dragons has an INT of 10 and WIS of 13. That's slightly better than an average person. I.e., the point is that they aren't stupid, and if you play the monsters up to their capability, then you're not "denying access" to anything. You're playing your NPCs/Monsters in an interact-able world where they would make decisions based on what's happening to them. I keep getting this impression of you playing your combat encounters like "here's the pieces on the game board, here's the statblock of abilities, now go!".

IMO, the math doesn't need to be fixed because there's nothing wrong in the first place. D&D is built with the assumption that role-playing doesn't stop when combat starts, and that everything in the environment is able to be interacted with. And a creature doesn't have to be as smart a a person to adjust tactics either. My dog has a low intelligence, but if something's not going her way, she figures out an alternative pretty quickly. So if you're playing D&D counter to its assumed style of play (arena style where monsters are only stat blocks of abilities with no free will), then yeah, you're gonna have problems. But the problem isn't with the game, it's with the deviation of assumed game play. Keep in mind I'm not saying that style is wrong, but any time you play outside of the assumed style, then it's on you to make those adjustments.

I think this just reinforces the disconnect in our playing styles. For example, even the dumbest of all ancient dragons has an INT of 10 and WIS of 13. That's slightly better than an average person. I.e., the point is that they aren't stupid, and if you play the monsters up to their capability, then you're not "denying access" to anything. You're playing your NPCs/Monsters in an interact-able world where they would make decisions based on what's happening to them. I keep getting this impression of you playing your combat encounters like "here's the pieces on the game board, here's the statblock of abilities, now go!".

IMO, the math doesn't need to be fixed because there's nothing wrong in the first place. D&D is built with the assumption that role-playing doesn't stop when combat starts, and that everything in the environment is able to be interacted with. And a creature doesn't have to be as smart a a person to adjust tactics either. My dog has a low intelligence, but if something's not going her way, she figures out an alternative pretty quickly. So if you're playing D&D counter to its assumed style of play (arena style where monsters are only stat blocks of abilities with no free will), then yeah, you're gonna have problems. But the problem isn't with the game, it's with the deviation of assumed game play. Keep in mind I'm not saying that style is wrong, but any time you play outside of the assumed style, then it's on you to make those adjustments.

Yep, even a dog will adjust its tactics. The smaug dragon would only make a flyby if its breath would be ready. If would have attacked first and with all the smoke from the numerous fire it would've set, seeing him in time to shoot arrows would be almost impossible. With disadvantage, to spot checks only 1 out of 400 archer would spot the dragon in time. A 10,000 army would not have 400 archers on all its walls.

As Hawkeyefan pointed out, such a fight would be best handled as a narrative.

By the way. Thanks to Flamestrike to share a bit of the adventures of his group. I can't wait to see what they will do in the orc's fortress.

mpwylie

First Post

Good post. It really is a playstyle issue from what I can see. Me personally, I feel it is my job to evaluate each group I DM for, evaluate what they like and how they play, then design a campaign/encounters that fit each group using the base system and tools they gave us in 5e.

What does that mean? Well My main group is optimized, they play at a very high level tactically, and I have given them magic items. So when I design encounters for that group, I add HP to the monsters to mitigate the fact that they all have magic weapons, I select monsters for their abilities or when I need a certain monster for the theme I apply class templates over the top for the added abilities. More or less, with the group at lvl 19, I make sure my monsters have abilities/spells that put them more on a level playing field with the PCs. Then for that group I play those monsters highly tactical. Still in a way that is reasonable, but I play them in a more optimal way. My PCs are optimized and playing optimal tactically, so my monsters must be optimized and played optimally. If my group comes up with an exceptionally good plan, I let it work, if they don’t, I play the monsters to challenge them. Sometimes the group plans well and steamrolls, sometimes stuff goes sideways and they barely make it out alive or blow all their resources to win. This is fun for them and me. I am a DM that always wants my players to win and to shine, so I play the monsters for each encounter that challenges them but is winnable. I literally plan my encounters around the idea that, Today I am going to built it in a way for the caster to shine, next session I build it for the melee to shine, sometimes I make it for the ranged guy to shine. That is the amazing thing about 5e, I can do that. I can go from one session with the Monk being the hero, to the wizard, to the barbarian. Sure it takes works, but isn't that why I am the DM?

Conversely, another group I DM for are a bunch of newbs, not optimized, no magic weapons, and barely know the mechanics. They role play in and out of combat and don’t look for the best thing to do, but rather the most fun thing to do. For this group, I use stock monsters, I play then tactically stupid most of the time. The CR system generally is spot on for them, the "math" is perfect! This group is very much the target for the base game and the base game works very well for them. Sure, I still can’t stand my monsters around like they are retarded, but base monsters are enough to allow me as they DM to kill the party or let them win easily just by how I play the bad guys. It really just comes down to that, as a DM you have the power to make your game what you want, you wanna run 1-2 encounters a day, then add some legendary monsters, you wanna give your party tons of fun magic items, add HP, monsters, or class templates to your encounters, you are running a game for seasoned veterans, then play your monsters like seasoned veterans. Stop crying about a broken system and start being a DUNGEON MASTER. Start looking at your monsters and planning how to play them with the numerous abilities they get instead of just having them stand around and attack random things.

To me, this is the beauty of 5e. Sure, there are things I would have done differently, things I would have tweaked the assumptions for. But in the end the base game works and I have the freedom and ability to mold it to my playstyle. If they made changes to the game, it could work better for me and my main group, but it would likely not work as good for the newbs they are trying to attract. I think they assumed that the hardcore players and ones that have experience with other editions would also have the intelligence and knowledge to mold the system to their own game. I guess that was their biggest flaw, expecting the people DMing their games be smart enough to make it work.

Last edited:

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
You had said "summon animals allows quite a bit of small creatures" so I did not think you meant giant owls. I wouldn't limit the damage of such summoned creatures...but I also wouldn't expect it to matter too much.

Giant owls are animals and weak compared to a dragon.

I don't think I would even bother. I can't rally imagine a scenario where I wouldn't be handling a battle with orcs and a dragon narratively. Meaning the mechanics never really matter. An NPC dragon fighting an NPC group of orcs means I put the rules aside and simply explain what happens. Which would typically be that the dragon obliterates them...unless they were exceptional orcs of some sort. Does that mean I gave the dragon resistance or immunity to their arrows? I don't really know...but t it doesn't matter.

I don't worry about the math for things that I handle purely narratively.

If one of the PCs was an orc, then of course not.

You use the math to defend the ability of a 10,000 orc army to make lvl 20 PCs run, but throw the math out when the same can be said of an ancient dragon? This is the kind of hypocrisy I have trouble debating. You seem to want to use the math to support a point about 5E allowing higher level characters to be challenged by an orc army, but when that same math makes the six player characters the equivalent of a small army against solo creature like a dragon you toss it out?

That's what we're talking about here. At high level group such as six lvl 15 PCs against a dragon is mathematically advantageous to the PCs in a huge way. That's part of what makes 5E so ludicrously easy is the way a certain CR creature becomes cannon fodder against a group of PCs focus firing. The entire reason a 300 orc army has the ability to challenge a group of PCs is because of Bounded Accuracy and sheer numbers. This same Bounded Accuracy and number advantage makes high CR solo creatures weak against a PC group.

You can take care of some of the mechanical inconsistencies with narration. It's not a big deal to describe a fearsome dragon. If you use the MM version against PCs with levels, that dragon is going down fast and is going to be a real disappointment compared to its billing. It's up to the DM to make that creature far, far stronger so it lives up to its billing.

A DM like Flamestrike does that with the six to eight encounter day with terrain and environment manipulation. Good for him. I'm not going to fault his method if it works the majority of the time. I'm not going to use that method myself. I want a creature so fearsome you could fight him in a white room and it would be a ridiculously tough fight. I want balors and dragons to be able to shrug off the PCs attacks and make them feel fear when it plows into the middle of a group and starts thrashing around. And 5E monsters as written do not make PC groups feel this fear meaning they don't live up to the billing, not even against regular PCs.

I'm using a different method to reach a level of creature power that fits what I believe they should be capable of. Whereas you want to narrate the ancient dragon decimating the orc army, I want to narrate this as backstory and have a dragon mechanically capable of wiping out an orc army. I want the mechanics and the narrative to match rather than one being necessary to cover to up the other's shortcomings.

Now the CR math failing is not just a product of 5E as nearly every previous edition exhibited the same problems including 3E. I am having a harder time finding the sweet spot for the math and narrative to fit. One of the big methods of countering PCs in older editions was spellcasting, in 5E it's very hard to have a solo creature as a powerful spellcaster with the concentration mechanic eliminating buff stacking. A 3E dragon, lich, or demon might be able to stack some buffs to power himself or his minions up, now he can't. It takes a bit more work to come up with a way to create a challenging balor or dragon that the PCs don't find some easy way to counter without giving him a horde of minions he likely would not have. I think it will take some creative monster design rules to get done what I want done. Once I figure them out, I'll start posting them.

Last edited:

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
Good post. It really is a playstyle issue from what I can see. Me personally, I feel it is my job to evaluate each group I DM for, evaluate what they like and how they play, then design a campaign/encounters that fit each group using the base system and tools they gave us in 5e.

What does that mean? Well My main group is optimized, they play at a very high level tactically, and I have given them magic items. So when I design encounters for that group, I add HP to the monsters to mitigate the fact that they all have magic weapons, I select monsters for their abilities or when I need a certain monster for the theme I apply class templates over the top for the added abilities. More or less, with the group at lvl 19, I make sure my monsters have abilities/spells that put them more on a level playing field with the PCs. Then for that group I play those monsters highly tactical. Still in a way that is reasonable, but I play them in a more optimal way. My PCs are optimized and playing optimal tactically, so my monsters must be optimized and played optimally. If my group comes up with an exceptionally good plan, I let it work, if they don’t, I play the monsters to challenge them. Sometimes the group plans well and steamrolls, sometimes stuff goes sideways and they barely make it out alive or blow all their resources to win. This is fun for them and me. I am a DM that always wants my players to win and to shine, so I play the monsters for each encounter that challenges them but is winnable. I literally plan my encounters around the idea that, Today I am going to built it in a way for the caster to shine, next session I build it for the melee to shine, sometimes I make it for the ranged guy to shine. That is the amazing thing about 5e, I can do that. I can go from one session with the Monk being the hero, to the wizard, to the barbarian. Sure it takes works, but isn't that why I am the DM?

Conversely, another group I DM for are a bunch of newbs, not optimized, no magic weapons, and barely know the mechanics. They role play in and out of combat and don’t look for the best thing to do, but rather the most fun thing to do. For this group, I use stock monsters, I play then tactically stupid most of the time. The CR system generally is spot on for them, the "math" is perfect! This group is very much the target for the base game and the base game works very well for them. Sure, I still can’t stand my monsters around like they are retarded, but base monsters are enough to allow me as they DM to kill the party or let them win easily just by how I play the bad guys. It really just comes down to that, as a DM you have the power to make your game what you want, you wanna run 1-2 encounters a day, then add some legendary monsters, you wanna give your party tons of fun magic items, add HP, monsters, or class templates to your encounters, you are running a game for seasoned veterans, then play your monsters like seasoned veterans. Stop crying about a broken system and start being a DUNGEON MASTER. Start looking at your monsters and planning how to play them with the numerous abilities they get instead of just having them stand around and attack random things.

To me, this is the beauty of 5e. Sure, there are things I would have done differently, things I would have tweaked the assumptions for. But in the end the base game works and I have the freedom and ability to mold it to my playstyle. If they made changes to the game, it could work better for me and my main group, but it would likely not work as good for the newbs they are trying to attract. I think they assumed that the hardcore players and ones that have experience with other editions would also have the intelligence and knowledge to mold the system to their own game. I guess that was their biggest flaw, expecting the people DMing their games be smart enough to make it work.

Smart enough? Really? So are all the people playing a more complex game like Pathfinder/3E or GURPS just smart enough to understand the rules, but not smart enough to modify 5E? Because you know, modifying 5E takes such a high level of intelligence? I don't think criticisms of 5E have anything to do with the intelligence of the persons making the criticisms or their lack of willingness to modify the game. I think some of us making criticisms just don't like the new paradigm like the three to five round by design combats. They feel unsatisfying and anticlimactic. I don't call you unintelligent and uninspired because you enjoy such things, I would hope you would refrain from calling people with legitimate criticisms about the 5E game system unintelligent.

Smart enough? Really? So are all the people playing a more complex game like Pathfinder/3E or GURPS just smart enough to understand the rules, but not smart enough to modify 5E? Because you know, modifying 5E takes such a high level of intelligence? I don't think criticisms of 5E have anything to do with the intelligence of the persons making the criticisms or their lack of willingness to modify the game. I think some of us making criticisms just don't like the new paradigm like the three to five round by design combats. They feel unsatisfying and anticlimactic. I don't call you unintelligent and uninspired because you enjoy such things, I would hope you would refrain from calling people with legitimate criticisms about the 5E game system unintelligent.

Have you considered that 5E isnt the game for you, and you should possibly be trying different systems like GURPS, or Savage Worlds, or Rolemaster etc?

It just seems like you're set on intentionally playing 5E against several of the conventions that underpin the system, and its not working out for you as a consequence.

If you're unwilling to play 'with the grain' as it were, perhaps changing systems would be be better?

That way instead of trying to force a round peg into a square hole, you could be using a 'round hole' ruleset and be having a much better time of it.

hawkeyefan

Legend
Giant owls are animals and weak compared to a dragon.

Yes. It was the part where you described the GIANT owls as small that made things unclear.

You use the math to defend the ability of a 10,000 orc army to make lvl 20 PCs run, but throw the math out when the same can be said of an ancient dragon? This is the kind of hypocrisy I have trouble debating. You seem to want to use the math to support a point about 5E allowing higher level characters to be challenged by an orc army, but when that same math makes the six player characters the equivalent of a small army against solo creature like a dragon you toss it out?

No, that's not what I did, so do not accuse me of hypocrisy.

I didn't mention the math to support 300 orcs being a viable threat. Instead, I said that the only reason your PCs don't think of 300 orcs as a threat is because they're too aware of the math themselves. Put the math aside for a bit and simply think about the scenario. Yes, level 15 PCs are powerful, we all know what kinds of abilities they have access to. But if there is only 6 of them, why would they feel they can slaughter 300 orcs so easily? The characters I mean. Why would the characters think that? Why would they assume they alone in the world have access to such potent abilities? There can't be orcs who are powerful fighters? Or clerics of Gruumsh? Or any other possible thing that would make an orc more than the 1/8 CR your players know them to be?

That's what I was suggesting you change. The fact that your players know what they face at all times. What you need to do is present them with a horde of orcs that have scoured the countryside razing towns and slaughtering any force who has opposed them, laying waste in the name of their dark one eyed god. Instead, you present them with 300 orcs from page 230 of the Monster Manual.

You have to make the players unsure of what they are facing in order to make the characters behave that way. Your players are so certain of their victory that their characters have no fear....combat is never not an option for them.

That's bad.

That's what we're talking about here. At high level group such as six lvl 15 PCs against a dragon is mathematically advantageous to the PCs in a huge way. That's part of what makes 5E so ludicrously easy is the way a certain CR creature becomes cannon fodder against a group of PCs focus firing. The entire reason a 300 orc army has the ability to challenge a group of PCs is because of Bounded Accuracy and sheer numbers. This same Bounded Accuracy and number advantage makes high CR solo creatures weak against a PC group.

I would disagree that a battle with a dragon is hugely in the PCs favor. A party of 6 is a party at about 150% expected power, so a small adjustment or two might be in order, but for the most part, I think it's a decent challenge. Now, I say that for my players who, despite being perfectly capable of min-maxing to the gills, don't do so because they don't care to. That's not to say they don't make perfectly capable characters, but they're not doing nonsensical things like only picking a race that has dark vision and multi-classing solely for the abilities and so on. If you have a group like that, then a few more adjustments are likely in order.

Nothing too drastic would be required though. Not if the dragon is played intelligently.

You can take care of some of the mechanical inconsistencies with narration. It's not a big deal to describe a fearsome dragon. If you use the MM version against PCs with levels, that dragon is going down fast and is going to be a real disappointment compared to its billing. It's up to the DM to make that creature far, far stronger so it lives up to its billing.

I don't use narration to handle mechanical inconsistencies. I use narration to create the world the PCs interact with. So ultimately, how they interact with the world is the result of how I present it. So, if I want PCs to behave as if they are the absolute best thing on the planet, I narrate things one way, and if I want my PCs to believe that they can be in danger from time to time, then I narrate another.

The math is only supposed to come into things when the outcome is in doubt.

A DM like Flamestrike does that with the six to eight encounter day with terrain and environment manipulation. Good for him. I'm not going to fault his method if it works the majority of the time. I'm not going to use that method myself. I want a creature so fearsome you could fight him in a white room and it would be a ridiculously tough fight. I want balors and dragons to be able to shrug off the PCs attacks and make them feel fear when it plows into the middle of a group and starts thrashing around. And 5E monsters as written do not make PC groups feel this fear meaning they don't live up to the billing, not even against regular PCs.

I'm using a different method to reach a level of creature power that fits what I believe they should be capable of. Whereas you want to narrate the ancient dragon decimating the orc army, I want to narrate this as backstory and have a dragon mechanically capable of wiping out an orc army. I want the mechanics and the narrative to match rather than one being necessary to cover to up the other's shortcomings.

I don't stick anywhere near as closely to the 6-8 encounters a day as [MENTION=6788736]Flamestrike[/MENTION]. I recognize it as a perfectly reasonable way to balancce the game. There are certainly times when I have several encounters in a day. Usually it's more like 2 or 3. Sometimes it's 1. Number of encounters is one way to do it, but there are others.

I think the most important is to not be predictable. Don't always have the same number of encounters, don't always use monsters straight out of the books, don't always make it possible for the PCs to win a given fight. Vary things up and your players will be unsure of what to expect, and then that's half the battle right there.

Now the CR math failing is not just a product of 5E as nearly every previous edition exhibited the same problems including 3E. I am having a harder time finding the sweet spot for the math and narrative to fit. One of the big methods of countering PCs in older editions was spellcasting, in 5E it's very hard to have a solo creature as a powerful spellcaster with the concentration mechanic eliminating buff stacking. A 3E dragon, lich, or demon might be able to stack some buffs to power himself or his minions up, now he can't. It takes a bit more work to come up with a way to create a challenging balor or dragon that the PCs don't find some easy way to counter without giving him a horde of minions he likely would not have. I think it will take some creative monster design rules to get done what I want done. Once I figure them out, I'll start posting them.

Meh the CR system is for beginners. Once you're comfortable, it can and should be abandoned, in my opinion.

As for it taking more work to come up with a way for the big bad to threaten the PCs, I think this edition is easier. You just give it the stars you want. No need to "show your work"....+4 from bull's strength and +2 from divine favor and he's now large because of righteous might, so he gets another +4 and his weapon now does 2d8 instead of blah blah blah.

3E and it's derivatives were so dependent on all the numbers adding up. 5E is not like that.

A lot of DMs also think that CR X = 'appropriate challenge for PCs of X level' when its nothing of the sort.

For example, a single CR 10 critter is worth 5,900 xp, making it an 'easy' encounter for 5 x 10th level PCs. The game tells you that as an easy encounter, it should be smashed quickly and with little to no resoure expenditure.

For a hard encounter, a single CR 14-15 (preferably a legendary creature if a solo encounter) at 11,500 - 13,000 xp is on the money.

Something like an Adult Green Dragon. which with legendary saves and actions, a cone breath weapon dealing 54 damage, etc should provide a reasonable challenge (that the PCs are still expected to win). They'd also be expected to deal with a few other encounters that adventuring day as well to hit the XP per adventuring day benchmark.

Thank you Flamestrike for that clarification. It might help some to understand that the CR system is relatively confusing even to itself.
Xp/day has always been the way to go. The CR are only there to show the relative power between different monsters.

Remove ads