• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Le Gamers de Femme

(contact)

Explorer
Over the years, wherever I've been, rather than find gamers to be friends with, I've tended to teach my friends to game. I've never had any problem teaching women to game, or keeping those games going.

In my experience, there is no discernible difference between the way that women and men approach the game. None.

I would also say that wish fulfillment might be an obvious motivation to begin role-playing (especially as a teen), but it's certainly not the only reason we play. In fact, I don't think that it's even a primary reason to play. For me, gaming is much more about companionship, storytelling, creative expression and snacks.

Snaaaacks.

krissbeth

First Post
Also, it helps if you're not all "ZOMG GIRLZ!" about it.

I avoid certain local game shops because I've been hit on, harassed, etc. for "browsing while female." That's tacky and a total girl-gamer turn OFF.

Peni Griffin

First Post
Y'know, in all the variations on this thread I've seen over the years, I've never seen any actual statistics about how many women play role-playing games. Not once.

Nor have I seen any similar threads about getting more blacks, Hispanics, mobility-impaired people, working-class people, or any other subset of humanity to play; yet I've met far more middle-class white female players than black, Hispanic, mobility-impaired, working-class, etc.

If we did have such statistics, I'd be interested to see how they compare to similar statistics on the demographics of team sports, board games, video games, novel-reading, birdwatching, and other liesure activities.

In the absence of such statistics, we may only have a perceptual problem, not an actual one.

Largomad

First Post
Well, my group is 4 girls and 1 boy. Perhaps before this game was an all-male club, but lately things seem to be changing for the best.

Remove ads