• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Leader Role: The end of the cleric?

sidonunspa

First Post
Frostmarrow said:
Since the cleric will share role with the warlord does this spell the end of the cleric?

LOL

Never.. as long as I can cleanse the souls of heretics though the fires of faith...

I love playing inquisitors in Living Arcanis

Last edited:

Kaodi

Hero
I'd still play clerics. I like (some) characters who are the champions and chief servants of their respective deities.

For instance, take Thor. Anyone with proficiency in the warhammer could use a magical hammer that was enchanted to imitate Mjolnir. On the other hand, a skilled cleric of Thor should be able to make any warhammer act like a weaker version of Mjolnir.

Mercule

Adventurer
I'm hoping that the 4E cleric won't be as martial as the 3E and earlier versions. If their magic is upped a bit, to be on par with the wizard as a controller, the unarmored cleric would be an awesome class to play. The spellcasting fighter with a mace schtick works for Pelor, but not so much for Wee Jas.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Frostmarrow said:
The concept of a cleric is rather unknown outside of D&D.
MMORPGs to the rescue! They'll keep the concept alive. :)

(And no, WoW is not among them here, WoW-haters. There's paladins, shamans and priests, none of which are D&D clerics, although D&D clerics show up in EverQuest and other games.)

I like religion in my game but I don't feel the cleric is a must have. I think the cleric may just slide into oblivion - at least in my game.

Your thoughts on this?
Religion is highly important in my game -- the local bishop is a patron/antagonist for the player characters -- and that won't change in 4E, even if everyone reimagines their characters as other classes. (I can see the paladin/cleric just going paladin in 4E, for instance.)

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
Mercule said:
I'm hoping that the 4E cleric won't be as martial as the 3E and earlier versions. If their magic is upped a bit, to be on par with the wizard as a controller, the unarmored cleric would be an awesome class to play. The spellcasting fighter with a mace schtick works for Pelor, but not so much for Wee Jas.
That's the main problem with the cleric class... each deity or philosophy should have its own class. Spells, hit points, BAB, special powers should all be different. 2e attempted it, but the balance of the final result was doubtful.

Klaus

First Post
Forget Healing, other classes can do that (Bards, Paladins, Favored Souls, Dragon Shamen, Druid -- specially if the Druid has the Spontaneous Rejuvenation option from PHB2). But where the cleric really shines in against undead. Between Turn Undead, restoration, cure spells = damage, death ward, etc, clerics are THE class to battle the living dead.

So, is that still a concern? Is that role fillable?

Kahuna Burger

First Post
Nikosandros said:
That's the main problem with the cleric class... each deity or philosophy should have its own class. Spells, hit points, BAB, special powers should all be different. 2e attempted it, but the balance of the final result was doubtful.
If they keep domains, it might be interesting to have a talent tree for every domain, rather than just one special ability and then the spells. Each time you gain a talent, you can choose from either of your domain talent lists or one or two more generic clerical talent trees....

Alceste

First Post
Varianor Abroad said:
If clerics are so unpopular, why are they one of the #1 character choices in the RPGA?

Because every table needs one. No cleric normally means no table while two clerics is even better. I am looking forward to the relaxing of Alignment \ Role restrictions. Having other leaders be able to fill the healing role will be nice.

RigaMortus2

First Post
Frostmarrow said:
Since the cleric will share role with the warlord does this spell the end of the cleric?

The warlord and cleric are both supposed to lead, heal, and support the party and it looks like they are pretty interchangable.

Wait a sec. It's been confirmed that the Warlord is going to have healing capabilities? I missed that one...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads