D&D 5E Least Favorite WotC 5E Book?

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I think the only thing that drags it down is that if the PCs decide to go after all four cults, it could get repetitive. Otherwise, it’s a pretty solid sandbox campaign with one of the best intro adventures since T1 (I’m talking about the optional “Trouble in Red Larch” bit here).

I haven’t run PotA as a campaign, but I’ve used a good chunk of it to great effect in other campaigns – and I think that’s a real selling point of all the 5e adventure books.

Need a giant’s lair? Grab one from SKT. Need an urban sewer dungeon? Grab one from Dragon Heist. Need an elemental cultist lair? Take your pick from the ones in PotA. And so on.
It certainly has a lot of dungeons to steal for homebrew. That's all I use adventures for anyway.

TheSword

Legend
Incidentally Dragon Heist is my favourite adventure book. So much info and potential in such a small package. Not for newbs but an amazing resource and introduction to Waterdeep that can tie in to Undermountain (at least as well if not better than previous iterations have tried).

Though on to the meat of the thread.

Worst Book: Tie up between Strixhaven and Witchlight. Two gonzo adventures, one Harry-Potter-lite going nowhere, and one a thin premise poorly executed.

The nadir of 5e adventure book design.

Luckily seems to be turning around if Golden Vault is anything to go by.

Last edited:

TheSword

Legend
Keys from the Golden Vault. Again, it isn't one I've had any real look through other than whatever previews came out so it might have some good content in there, but the book itself just didn't grab me though to the point I'd forgotten it existed until I was reading a dndbeyond email.
Wow man, if a book you haven’t read is your worst book the you’re doing really well!

For the record the adventures in Golden Vault are really solid! Clever, interesting, driven adventures… lots of them. If Candlekeep was half as good we’d be on a winner.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Wow man, if a book you haven’t read is your worst book the you’re doing really well!

For the record the adventures in Golden Vault are really solid! Clever, interesting, driven adventures… lots of them. If Candlekeep was half as good we’d be on a winner.
I haven't really been disappointed with any of the books I've bought, there are just books that I've read previews or reviews of that just felt underwhelming to me. Since I don't have any other way to read through the books to see if I want them, previews/reviews are what I have to rely on.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I haven't really been disappointed with any of the books I've bought, there are just books that I've read previews or reviews of that just felt underwhelming to me. Since I don't have any other way to read through the books to see if I want them, previews/reviews are what I have to rely on.
I got Acquisitions Incorporated from the public library to read to see if I wanted to buy it. I did not.

Remove ads