D&D 5E Least Favorite WotC 5E Book?

Stormonu

Legend
I find it really strange that people are naming books they don't own and have never read their least favorite.
Why would you BUY a book that you perceive as bad? Though the one I mentioned I did actually buy (wish I'd perused it first, honestly)

Reynard

Legend
I guess it’s kinda implied that it’s an educated opinion rather than guesswork.
People in the thread actually said "I haven't read it but..." I don't care that it didn't look like it was for them, or if reviews turned people off. I am just suggesting that something can't be your "least favorite" if you haven't actually interacted with it in any meaningful way.

Divine2021

Adventurer
My favorite two books I own are Volo and Tome of Foes. I love the lore, found it a blast to read, especially the demon and gith bits.

The worst 5e book I own, which I regret buying and would return if I could, is Monsters of the Multiverse. It utterly neutered generations of lore, and for what? To supposedly eke out a few more sales from a younger generation? To reset expectations for an upcoming edition change? This isn’t even an anti-woke screed on my part, the material concerning the races/lineages is half baked, poorly thought and reasoned out, and just frankly embarrassing in places. Thank the gods for bg3 which put Dueger and Gith back in their rightful places and tones. BG3 proves that DnD doesn’t need a PG era to sell massive amounts and make tons of money.

TheSword

Legend
People in the thread actually said "I haven't read it but..." I don't care that it didn't look like it was for them, or if reviews turned people off. I am just suggesting that something can't be your "least favorite" if you haven't actually interacted with it in any meaningful way.
Yeah, that’s what I mean. Your question implies that the person is going to be informed in their reasons.

It’s like me saying that the latest Indiana Jones film is the worst installment when I haven’t seen it. I might be right but only by accident.

mamba

Legend
'I haven't read it' is not the same as 'I know nothing about it'. Someone can know enough about it to not buy the book and read it, only to find out they do not like it. There is plenty of information out there that you have access to without buying the book

If you think they had too little info, you can also simply ignore the post. It's not a competition here, not even a vote.

Monsters of the Multiverse is probably the book I hoped to get the most use out of and ended up finding very little that I didn't already have.

Last edited:

Scribe

Legend
Thank the gods for bg3 which put Dueger and Gith back in their rightful places and tones. BG3 proves that DnD doesn’t need a PG era to sell massive amounts and make tons of money.

Yes. I've held off on MotM for the reasons you described, just seems juvenile and a poor copy/paste update job.

Arilyn

Hero
Rime of the Frost Maiden. None of the Ten Town quests interested me and I couldn't even work up enough interest to alter them to my taste. I have gotten absolutely nothing from this book.

Remove ads