• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Legacy of Death Part IX: The Ultimate Tomb

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
one gem, to be worn around the neck, is defensive and can help heal severe wounds.

the other gem can help overcome obstinate doors, at least once in a while.

the gems in the teeth look valuable, the arcanist is not sure they are magical.

proximity to the throne does cause the harm.

Jin Abackis

Explorer
Can Sim determine how powerful the defensive magic is of the gem (he looks around his companions and thinks most already have powerful (+4) neck items but this one could be better or is it something else that can be worn with another neck item?). Can he also determine what type of skill is best used with the door gem (arcana (finesse), athletics (brut force) or thievery (manipulation)) and if it can be used on the portals?

To make sure, Sim will remove one of the teeth gems and check if it is magic. Assuming a similar result, he then jumps off and regenerates back to non-bloodied. If they are not magic, he will not risk more damage for them even with regeneration.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
on the principle of identifying 1 item per short rest...

The periapt of wound closure is a +4 item, but has a decent daily to go with it.

You leap up, take another 22 points of damage, and recover a brilliant black sapphire. Its non-magical.

Jin Abackis

Explorer
This wound closure gem is a potent item. Does anyone have a strong preference for it? Maybe the cat could wear it on its collar and use it? This other gem opens doors but it requires more study to discern its full potential. Sim moves over near Forge and tosses him the 3rd gem. It’s non-magical but we can now drink that keg in your new tavern.

Sim checks if the wards have been removed from the portal (arcana 31). Even if the wards have been removed, Sim plans to take another short rest before going further.

ecayford

First Post
"You look like you might need the help, catman. If you don't need the gem, I'll take it."

Fits in with the rest of Forge's self-healing if no one else wants it.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Sim thinks the wards are gone. But the portal still has to be opened, if it is to be used.

Sim is also the not the only one who may need to do some recovery.

dyermaker001

Explorer
Allowyn reaches to his neck, feeling the amulet under his cloak. "I think I'll keep this one. It was gift from a certain lady friend."

"You all seem to have experience with these portals. How have they been opened in the past? This mist unnerves me."

Jin Abackis

Explorer
Sim gives Forge the wound closure gem. Forge, I can use the Guardian Cape if you don't need it. Human, can your cat use a (+4) Cloak of Resistance? I can modify to fit the cat as a saddle blanket clasped around this neck.

Sim takes a short rest and changes his origin to Natural (resist 5 all and +2 saves). He will use two HS to get back to full HP. He also tries to get more details on the other magical gem.

After everyone has had a change to rest, heal, etc, Sim tries to open the non-warded portal (arcane -31). If it works, does he think trying the Manual of Planes (Analyze Portal) again will allow him to see what lies at the other end of the portal before going through it? Also can Sim tell if there are still wards on the other 2 mist filled portals?

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
The cat can get some benefit from the custom blanket. Not full--it has the equivalent of 'inherent bonuses', but some.

The "gem" of opening is very much like a chime of opening. Once a day, it can work as well as a skilled halfling burglar to open locks or disable traps on a single portal.

You think these wards are down. But the mist blocks any detection. (You did get the bonus from the manual that one time though!).

The portal is open, but you don't think it will be open for long.

Any more healing, recovery??

Remove ads