• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Legend of the 5 Rings - 3rd Edition: Tell me About It

kensanata

Explorer
I really enjoyed reading this blog post on the Clan War and how it was the greatest thing in gaming. That article made me take out the L5R campaign setting yesterday evening and spend an hour reading it.

tetnak

Explorer
The forums over on AEG are bashing Revised for super-poor editing. I've heard it hasn't resolved much of the problems from the original book and introduced some additional problems. L5R is a great system, but their books are poorly edited and organized.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
The forums over on AEG are bashing Revised for super-poor editing. I've heard it hasn't resolved much of the problems from the original book and introduced some additional problems. L5R is a great system, but their books are poorly edited and organized.
I've just begun to skim the copy that I bought at GenCon UK and I must agree... the editing really is abysmal. :(

It's quite annoying, but both the system and the setting are very good.

A number of people over at rpg.net feel that the rules as presented in Legend of the Burning Sands are much better than the presentation in the 3rd Ed book.

Disclaimer: I know nothing about L5R other than it sounded like a game I'd really like to get into but refuse to because of the whole CCG thing. And the rules seemed overly complicated.

Atlatl Jones

Explorer
It's not yet listed. OTOH it's available on many online web stores.
I'm not sure about Amazon.com or Buy.com. Both had the third edition rulebook listed as "out of stock" for over a year, yet at the end of August suddenly had them back in stock. It could be that they erroneously stocked the revised edition under the original 3rd edition's sku. They shouldn't have, since no doubt it has a new ISBN, but Amazon's not exactly known for getting details of RPG books right.

A number of people over at rpg.net feel that the rules as presented in Legend of the Burning Sands are much better than the presentation in the 3rd Ed book.
I wouldn't be surprised. The Legend of the Burning Sands rules were written as an abbreviated summary of the L5R rules. When people are forced to re-write things to be shorter and more concise, the extra editing often makes it clearer.

Disclaimer: I know nothing about L5R other than it sounded like a game I'd really like to get into but refuse to because of the whole CCG thing. And the rules seemed overly complicated.
Don't let the CCG thing deter you. Aside from a few extra pages of ludicrous back history, it takes up very little space.

Also, the rules aren't at all complicated. They're a lot simpler than 3e and 4e.

Last edited:

Well, can't be any worse than the bashing AEG is getting over the book in their own forums. Heck, the guy that's gotten the happy task of compiling all the errata pretty much said that covering every typo/format goof would be a 300+ page document.

My advice (in hindsight) would be to wait until there is an updated printing of the 3ER book. and hope that AEG actually gets the editing on the game crunch right.

I know people love to bash WotC for the amount of errata that 4e has gotten, but in comparison to AEG and L5R3er, WotC did a stellar job on the 4e core books.

Whitemouse

Banned
Banned
I'm not sure about Amazon.com or Buy.com. Both had the third edition rulebook listed as "out of stock" for over a year, yet at the end of August suddenly had them back in stock. It could be that they erroneously stocked the revised edition under the original 3rd edition's sku. They shouldn't have, since no doubt it has a new ISBN, but Amazon's not exactly known for getting details of RPG books right.
Does this mean that if I a placed an order for the third edition book they'd send me 3rd edition revised?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads