• Welcome to this new upgrade of the site. We are now on a totally different software platform. Many things will be different, and bugs are expected. Certain areas (like downloads and reviews) will take longer to import. As always, please use the Meta Forum for site queries or bug reports. Note that we (the mods and admins) are also learning the new software.

Legion, Season 3

lowkey13

Exterminate all rational thought
So, I finally had time to watch the Legion, Season 3 Premiere.

So very very good (especially because I had just being NG: Evangelion!).

Given the general makeup of these boards, I will say this-

If you have seen Legion, and you have liked it, then what are you waiting for?

If you have seen Legion (season 1) and you didn't like it ... you're not going to.

But if you haven't seen Legion .... hoo boy. The first comic book I ever read that really got me thinking was a copy of New Mutants where they went into David Haller's mind, so this show has a special place for me.

There are times when the show's substance can't keep up with its style, but only because it may be the most stylish thing on television, but if you haven't given it a chance, you need to watch it.

But you have to start with the first season. It's hard enough to follow if you've watched it all the way through, and if you just start on season three, it will look like a bad acid trip.

My review rating:

I give it 42.3 Bunnies on a 12-note octave.

jonesy

Hero
I give the premiere nine and a half existential crises out of one yellow bus.

Can I please have another, sir? There's only so much a Switch can do in two hours. On/off. On/off.

Dun dun dun!

Bedtime is here.

Tonguez

Adventurer
Did that Japanese Time Traveller make anyone else think they needed to save the Cheerleader?

Strange connections and great cinematography

And a musical interlude too

lowkey13

Due to other obligations, I didn't see the episode last night.

Well, that's not true. I made it to the opening scene (zebra plane) and then had to do other things.

Hopefully, I will post tomorrow about Episode 2.

Can't wait! Also? Can't believe it's the final season. :(

Now that Disney has unified the Marvel Universe, I don't think we are going to see much more like this .... and let's face it, it's not like the CW is going to be pushing this for the DC Universe.

"Next of the CW, Supergirl and a bunch of Beautiful People(tm) find that their egos melt away into the astral plane as they begin to question the nature of reality!"

Tonguez

Adventurer
Due to other obligations, I didn't see the episode last night.

Well, that's not true. I made it to the opening scene (zebra plane) and then had to do other things.

Hopefully, I will post tomorrow about Episode 2.

Can't wait! Also? Can't believe it's the final season. :(

Now that Disney has unified the Marvel Universe, I don't think we are going to see much more like this .... and let's face it, it's not like the CW is going to be pushing this for the DC Universe.

"Next of the CW, Supergirl and a bunch of Beautiful People(tm) find that their egos melt away into the astral plane as they begin to question the nature of reality!"
to be fair we don't get much of this kind of story telling anywhere on TV, its not just Disney The Legion character is somewhat unique in that aspect of his disassociation from reality

lowkey13

to be fair we don't get much of this kind of story telling anywhere on TV, its not just Disney The Legion character is somewhat unique in that aspect of his disassociation from reality
Kinda sorta? I mean, we don't get much, but we do get it.

Mr. Robot immediately comes to mind.

True Detective.

Hannibal.

Banshee. Okay, maybe not. But that was wicked cool, and no one watched it.

lowkey13

Also? Second episode was really good.

But I wanted to give a shout out to two performances.

Aubrey Plaza was, as usual, amazing, and the Mad Hatter scene (as the Breakfast Queen, natch) was both gratuitous and necessary.

But I give ALL OF THE STARZ for this episode to Cary. Bill Irwin did such an amazing job during the "escape" that I assumed it was editing, or CGI, or CGI editing, or something. But no, he really did that next-level Buster Keaton stuff. I can't even. I was so amazed, I watched it again this morning.

Finally, on the serious note-

[sblock]

So, yeah. The scene between David and Syd? Oof. It shows that in the midst of all the crazies and the stylez and everything else, there is a lot of story going on. That was powerful, and necessary. A lot to unpack there.

Side observations-
David casually mind controlling Lenny? Yep. That happened.

Farouk and Syd's conversation. Everyone remember's that Farouk ... um, the whole Prof. X thing, etc. That is not going to go well.

[/sblock]

jonesy

Hero
Banshee. Okay, maybe not. But that was wicked cool, and no one watched it.
I watched it. I liked it. But there really was no substance. It was the prime definition of style over everything else.

Banshee is kinda like a telenovela, with more punching. So much punching.

Tonguez

Adventurer
Well Charles has made his appearance!!

I enjoyed episode 3, meeting Davids parents was both lovely and disturbing in its implications.

Advertisement