• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Lesser Shadar-Kai (Fiend Folio)

Cabral

First Post
The Fiend Folio introduces the Shadar-Kai, a race of fey with a cursed relationship with the plane of shadow.

I really like the race but want to make a little more PC friendly. I don't really like the levels of fey. So here is my straight Shadar-Kai race with no inherent HD. What do you think the LA should be?

Shadar-Kai, Medium Humanoid
Shadar-Kai characters have the following abilities:
  • +4 Dexterity, -2 Constitution, -2 Charisma
  • Medium Creature, speed 30 ft.
  • Hide in Plain Sight (Su): as per FF p 150
  • Shadow Curse (Su): As per FF p 150
  • Superior Low-light Vision (Ex): as per FF p 150
  • +2 racial bonus on Hide and Move Silently
  • Feyblood: For all effects related to race, Shadar-Kai are considered Fey.

This version looses the sneak attack, better racial hide bonus and has toned down stat bonuses (somewhat)

I'm shooting for a +1 LA, but would be happy with a +2 LA ...

Last edited:

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
I think it looks fine at +1 LA. 3 fey hit dice aren't worth very much, so if all you did was drop them, the LA might have gone up (from the original value of +1). But the fiend folio Shadar-Kai have more dex (+2) and 1d6 sneak attack. The -2 penalty to Con will have a big long term effect on the character, quite comparable to having to have a few fey hit dice for another character.

And the hide in plain sight (being able to make a hide check whenever they are not in sunlight or a daylight spell or similar bright light) is worth a lot less without the +10 racial bonus.

So yeah, it's good.

Don't worry about not getting replies the first time around. Sometimes posts slip past people- very often people don't like to be the first to comment. They like to have someone else's comments to either agree with or disagree with.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Cheiromancer said:
Don't worry about not getting replies the first time around. Sometimes posts slip past people- very often people don't like to be the first to comment. They like to have someone else's comments to either agree with or disagree with.

I disagree. :p

Anyway, it looks pretty good, if a bit on the strong side. +4 Dex is quite a lot -- I'd prefer +2 Dex / -2 Con, since we know that's fairly balanced.

The worrysome thing to me is the Fey part. That makes you immune to a lot of early Will save type spells, and Fey-bane weapons are rarer than (say) Outsider-bane weapons.

Shadow Curse is a serious drawback, especially for someone without a few HD to serve as a negative level buffer, and super especially without the FFolio listed items which somewhat compensate, and are cheap.

-- N

PS: If you're open to changes, consider the following:

- Lose Hide in Plain Sight
+ Gain +10 to Hide checks
+ Gain racial ability to ignore Hide skill rank requirement of Shadowdancer (so, you can enter 2 levels earlier than anyone else) -- a dip in this class will give you HiPS at (near) the appropriate level for such an ability.

Cabral

First Post
Sorry, I put the Feyblood in to replace the Fey type. This version would be a humanoid. The feyblood entry was adapted from the half-orc orcblood.

As for the Gal-ranans, I had considered changing the Constitution penalty to -2 and either including a +1 gal-ranan as part of the racial package, or simply reducing the cost and allowing characters to buy them with their starting funds. (300 gp, I think for an ECL character) Assuming I include the gal-ranan at no cost, that would change the stats effectively to +4 Dex, -4 Contitution, -2 Charisma with +1 on all saves and an additional +2 versus death effects, energy drains, and soul effects (such as the Shadow Curse).

The concern about the Shadow Curse (Will DC 15 save) and low level characters is one I hadn't considered. The difficulty in repairing the Shadow Curse, as well as the high DC for the will save means that a lot of low-level characters could be up a creek the first time they unvoluntarily fall unconcious. particularly with no Xp gain while afflicted. I'll have to think about that ...

Last edited:

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
Hmmm. I had overlooked the whole shadow curse bit. Which is silly of me, considering that this is one of the main features of the race. They'd pretty much have to have a gal-ralan as part of their initial equipment. Even then you might want to tweak the effects of the curse, or low-level characters will never become mid-level ones. Maybe make it so that lesser restoration can fix things?

BTW, I had interpreted the "counts as fey" ability to not give immunity to effects that affect humanoids. I.e. it makes them count as few, not as non-humanoids. And I also notice that the -2 to Con makes all their HD effectively one category smaller. So they might as well be fey, with those silly d6 hit dice.

Remove ads