Let the Players Do the Work

Why should the GM be the one to have to come up with all the ideas anyway? They have enough to do. So why not have your players put some effort into shaping the session?

Why should the GM be the one to have to come up with all the ideas anyway? They have enough to do. So why not have your players put some effort into shaping the session?

human-3337604_1280.jpg

Picture courtesy of Pixabay.

There is an old adage that says ‘don’t give the GM ideas’. As if we don’t already have enough ideas to cause misery and torment already in our toolbox! But the players can help, and it's a matter of giving them the right incentives to create a fun role-playing session.

Incidentally, the following is also useful if you’ve forgotten your notes and don’t want to let on. Bob McWilliams offered the best advice for this in his Traveller article ‘We have a Referee Malfunction’ in White Dwarf #35. One of my favourite suggestions was to get each player to detail the area they were in and then say quietly afterward “Hmm, so no pot plants? Interesting.” After ten minutes every player character is desperately running about trying to locate a pot plant, even though not one of them has the faintest clue why.

Organise a Party

The characters must have at least one friend out there to invite them to one, and there are very few places you can’t have a party if you make the effort. In fact, the odder the location, the more interesting the party. Social gatherings are a good opportunity to throw some role play at the characters and see what they’ll do without the option to stab something. While the host will be a friend they don’t want to embarrass (or they’d not have got an invite) not all the guests will be. So you can throw in some NPCs they really don’t get on with and see if they will keep their cool when provoked or cause a scene. Whichever they do, you will either generate a tense role play scene or they will create consequences they will have to sort out afterwards.

If the wine is flowing there is the opportunity for drunkenness, which always leads to bad decisions, which always leads to story. It might even offer some liquid courage to provoke a little romance, or make a mess of one.

Go Shopping

I can’t tell you how many sessions I’ve ‘lost’ to a shopping expedition. These are often a consequence of being asked to a party as well; given few player characters have some decent formal wear to hand. Even those who do will probably need to help those who don’t find something, if they don’t want to be embarrassed when they arrive together. When buying clothes, ask each player what their character wants, and how comfortable they are feeling about it. The Elven sorceress may know exactly what sort of gown she is looking for, but what colour silk, can she get the right accessories and where will she get the right shoes. Will the female Orc barbarian just want a nicer set of animal skins or does she want to try a dress? How will she look and how much have the other player character’s assumed about her because she's a barbarian? This isn’t just limited to the female characters either, men can dress up too and the same things apply as to whether they know how to dress well for a nice occasion. Tests can (and should) be made to see if they can find something good and if they know how to wear it with style. There may be a lot of surprises for the group when they find out who scrubs up well, and who doesn’t.

However, shopping need not be just confined to clothes. If you need a new sword, where will you get it? How can you be sure the weaponsmith is really good? What sort of style do you want and how expensive do you want it to be? Do you want it to be showy or elegant or resilient or all three? You can ask these sorts of questions about just about any purchase and by answering them the player has to think a little about what their character wants and what they are looking for. Then they will be able to drive the story forward as they look for what they want.

Filling in Time

Not every day is filled with excitement for adventurers. So it’s quite reasonable for the GM to tell the players that nothing is happening and they have to make their own fun. They will usually come up with either a new project or some sort of trouble to either flesh out their character or drive some action. I did this recently in a Star Trek Adventures campaign. They were exploring the frontier but before I let them run across the distress beacon that would start the next scenario I decided to roll for how interesting their time had been recently. I rolled a 1, so decided that despite coming across a load of new systems, pretty much every planet had been a barren dud.

So I asked each player what their character had been doing to fill in the time, as each duty report was taking only a few moments to complete. Some started new projects, the security chief organised a boxing contest and one of the pilots decided he could tell which shuttle was which by only the controls (provoking a lot of betting and cheating). For each project they decided to do, I gave them a simple test to see how they did. Some projects went well, some badly but they all knew what their characters had been up to and how things had gone recently in their jobs. Once all that was resolved, they picked up a distress call…

"What Do You Want?"

The last option is the most obvious, but one not every player has an answer to. Simply ask the players what their character truly wants. Is it gold, power, romance, respect etc? Then ask them what they are doing to get it. Not only does this tell you (and the player) why the character does what they do, but also helps them shape a personal quest. If they want power, who stands in their way? If they want romance, who are they interested in? These ideas can either be worked into the current adventure or become adventures in their own right. If there is a villain to be taken down, a princess to be rescued or a treasure to be stolen the character is going to need some help from their friends. Then as the GM you just ask them what they are going to do and let them write the adventure for you.

Andrew Peregrine

Andrew Peregrine

pming

Legend
Hiya!

Easiest way I've found that has worked well for almost 40 years of DM'ing.... encourage the Players to TALK at the table. Then I, as DM, can hear what they are thinking, so to say, and gauged where they are likely to want to 'go'.

For example, say an NPC is coming back from an illicit affair with her lover and doesn't want anyone to know, and she starts being "defensive" or "avoiding questions" or otherwise seems like she's hiding something. One Player then pipes up "Hey guys...why is she so defensive? Somethings up! And why is a well-to-do lady like her in this section of town? I bet she's involved in this whole 'gang-war thing' somehow. Lets keep an eye on her".

Well, that just give's me, the DM, nice little idea-sparks. :) Maybe she is directly involved. Maybe her lover is. Maybe her lover's ex is and is going to try and 'pin' something on her to get back at the man who scorned her. Maybe one of the warring Thieves Guild members notices her comings and goings and tries to blackmail her for support? The opportunities are endless! :)

And all simply because I encourage my Players to "talk out loud at the table" during the game.

The second most useful thing? RANDOM TABLES & RANDOM ROLLS! :D Too many games nowadays poo-poo randomization as something to be avoided, lest a PC end up dying or the oh-so precious storyline/narrative go in a different direction. :mad: Ick! Give me a book full of randomization tables and I can run a game off the cuff for HOURS, DAYS, or even YEARS.

The most powerful tool in a DM's kit is his/her imagination. Use it!

^_^

Paul L. Ming

cmad1977

Hero
Hiya!

Easiest way I've found that has worked well for almost 40 years of DM'ing.... encourage the Players to TALK at the table. Then I, as DM, can hear what they are thinking, so to say, and gauged where they are likely to want to 'go'.

For example, say an NPC is coming back from an illicit affair with her lover and doesn't want anyone to know, and she starts being "defensive" or "avoiding questions" or otherwise seems like she's hiding something. One Player then pipes up "Hey guys...why is she so defensive? Somethings up! And why is a well-to-do lady like her in this section of town? I bet she's involved in this whole 'gang-war thing' somehow. Lets keep an eye on her".

Well, that just give's me, the DM, nice little idea-sparks. :) Maybe she is directly involved. Maybe her lover is. Maybe her lover's ex is and is going to try and 'pin' something on her to get back at the man who scorned her. Maybe one of the warring Thieves Guild members notices her comings and goings and tries to blackmail her for support? The opportunities are endless! :)

And all simply because I encourage my Players to "talk out loud at the table" during the game.

The second most useful thing? RANDOM TABLES & RANDOM ROLLS! :D Too many games nowadays poo-poo randomization as something to be avoided, lest a PC end up dying or the oh-so precious storyline/narrative go in a different direction. :mad: Ick! Give me a book full of randomization tables and I can run a game off the cuff for HOURS, DAYS, or even YEARS.

^_^

Paul L. Ming

The random tables of downtime have led to entire sessions/adventures/arcs that I didn’t expect.

Crit

Explorer
Hiya!

^_^

Paul L. Ming
I'm looking to run a sandbox game, and I think this is all good advice. I want to react to my players and let the journey unfold as it will. I recently got books like Yawning Portal and Ghosts of Saltmarsh, which are basically just dungeon compendiums that I'd be able to improvise in places should the party want to get deep into something.

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
Player 1: Here is the 3 page list of stuff I'm buying.
GM (Looks at list): Hmm where did they find vacc suit deodorant?
Player 2: I don't want to go shopping! I'll just have stuff.
GM: Can you please just make a simple list of what you want to have?

pming

Legend
Hiya!
Player 1: Here is the 3 page list of stuff I'm buying.
GM (Looks at list): Hmm where did they find vacc suit deodorant?
Player 2: I don't want to go shopping! I'll just have stuff.
GM: Can you please just make a simple list of what you want to have?
GM: Player 1, this is it? You just want me to assume you pick this stuff up?
Player 1: Yeah, why not? It's just shopping...that's boring.
GM: Are you sure you don't want to do even a little RP'ing?
Player 1: Naaa...lets just get back to the ship and get off this station.
[my Evil GM Brain starts turning as a wry smile, barely perceptible, turns at the corner of my mouth...]
GM: The Agran Warship hails you. A visage of a VERY po'ed Agran High Warrior screams, "Dishonorable Vath'Ick! You have used the ashes of our greatest Warrior-Priest to...to...to coat your putrid under-arms! The Agran Collective will NEVER forgive this grave injustice! Prepare to meet whatever gods you pray to, scum!". Their 72 singularity-drive weapons are charging up...what do you do?
Player 1: WHAT?!??!
GM: That 'all natural' vacc suit deodorant you bought from a shady vendor. Yeah, turns out it wasn't deodorant you've been rubbing on your pits for the last week.
Player 1: How? Why?! What?!? I would have never...I didn't...wait a minute! That's not fair!
GM: shrug Maybe next time you won't leave all the details of how, who and what your character buys up to me.
😈

Seriously, I have done...and continue to do... stuff like this when I GM. Well, maybe not quite so..."detrimental", but man o' man do I have a FEILD DAY with being given carte blanch by a Player to "assume the PC agrees to whatever it took to purchase/see/acquire/consult" something. :)

Many a PC over the decades have found themselves in possession of stolen good, cursed items, or otherwise associated with, or indebted to, lets say... "less than upstanding individuals". ;) Always makes for a great sub-plot or new storyline!

^_^

Paul L. Ming

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
Hiya!

GM: Player 1, this is it? You just want me to assume you pick this stuff up?
Player 1: Yeah, why not? It's just shopping...that's boring.
GM: Are you sure you don't want to do even a little RP'ing?
Player 1: Naaa...lets just get back to the ship and get off this station.
[my Evil GM Brain starts turning as a wry smile, barely perceptible, turns at the corner of my mouth...]
GM: The Agran Warship hails you. A visage of a VERY po'ed Agran High Warrior screams, "Dishonorable Vath'Ick! You have used the ashes of our greatest Warrior-Priest to...to...to coat your putrid under-arms! The Agran Collective will NEVER forgive this grave injustice! Prepare to meet whatever gods you pray to, scum!". Their 72 singularity-drive weapons are charging up...what do you do?
Player 1: WHAT?!??!
GM: That 'all natural' vacc suit deodorant you bought from a shady vendor. Yeah, turns out it wasn't deodorant you've been rubbing on your pits for the last week.
Player 1: How? Why?! What?!? I would have never...I didn't...wait a minute! That's not fair!
GM: shrug Maybe next time you won't leave all the details of how, who and what your character buys up to me.
😈

Seriously, I have done...and continue to do... stuff like this when I GM. Well, maybe not quite so..."detrimental", but man o' man do I have a FEILD DAY with being given carte blanch by a Player to "assume the PC agrees to whatever it took to purchase/see/acquire/consult" something. :)

Many a PC over the decades have found themselves in possession of stolen good, cursed items, or otherwise associated with, or indebted to, lets say... "less than upstanding individuals". ;) Always makes for a great sub-plot or new storyline!

^_^

Paul L. Ming
That is cool if it works for you. The space suit deodorant is a real item, from FASA's FCI guide or something. The only burden is trying to think up something to do with it, which you have done. Neither player is wrong in how they want to play, it is only how to balance both ends and be fair about it. Even though it is sort of like being on a number line, I am in the middle about gear, then again 'the things they carried' also says a bit about the character, and helps me visualize them better.

werecorpse

Adventurer
While I get the value of the latter part of the OP; Shopping? organising a party? That’s not what I or my players want to do during our limited time game sessions. I ask my players to create adventurers or investigators not party planners - the implication is that I as GM with present them with an adventure or mystery etc.

While I definitely agree with pming‘s first post about listening to players as a great place to get side quests or subplots - that dm gotcha from the players just skipping lightly over getting their equipment is the opposite of my style. If it were my gms style as a player I would tell them I’m not interested in roleplaying checking out or researching the efficacy of the gear I have purchased but my character does so, how long does it take? Just to cover off the GM pulling such “your sword/armour/pistol/rope has a defect and breaks/backfire/just angers the enemy” shenanigans.

But to each their own.

Shiroiken

Legend
It's very player dependent. I always build my characters to give the GM plenty to work with, giving interests, motivations, and goals. Others, however, have very little of their character beyond what's on their sheet. I've found those players are hard to engage in anything not directly related to the adventure.

Remove ads

Remove ads