Let's be clear about the motives behind the original OGL

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
WotC told us 20 yrs ago that OGL could not be rescinded (we've seen the FAQs, statements from those who wrote it, that's what they told us) so we all agreed to not make other games but to make stuff for their game. Now they are reneging. Legality aside, they are not a reliable business partner.

A hundred companies would have spent the last 20 years developing their own competing games if they'd known that WotC would simply change their minds 20 years later. Who knows what the industry would look like now? The OGL wasn't a 'gift' it was a bargain, a deal. We committed years of work and money to support their game and helped create a network which reinforced itself, benefiting us and WotC.

We agreed to support their game instead of making our own games, they agreed to let us use their content. That helped make their game better, more popular. They wanted everybody playing D&D, not a thousand different systems. That was the whole point of the OGL.

Don't let anybody tell you the OGL was a favor or an act of generosity. It was a mutual deal which benefited both parties. And it was portrayed by WotC, it's FAQ, it's representatives, as non-rescindable in order to gain acceptance. And we believed them.

Whether or not this 'de-authorization' stuff turns out to be technically legal, we were all deceived. I made decisions I would not have made had I thought the OGL was revocable. So did a thousand other companies and creators over the last 20 years.

Last edited:

Greggy C

Hero
One could argue small creators have been waiting for WotC to slip up.

WotC did slip up, though. The OGL 1.1 was insulting to everyone, absolutely everyone, regardless if you are writing your own TTRPG.

The arrogance of the new Hasbro Microsoft Executives and their lackeys thinking they can just come in, monopolize the product, add micro transactions and justify their overpaid existence without adding any value? It is not the 90s.
They needed to understand the customers, who the whales are, and their influence on social media. I blame these slimy, politically savvy people who thought they could come from an environment of dominance ONLY because you own the operating system.

I do not blame the artists and game designers of Wizards of the Coast.

Hasbro backed up, stunned by the ferocity of the response. Suddenly aware of the very small barrier to entry into this industry.
Paizo can whip up Pathfinder 3 in a year. Critical Role a new RPG in likely 6 months.

With their last statement on D&D Beyond they changed their position, gave ground, and returned ownership.

But I am still offended by the walkback.

I am offended that in the second sentence, you (Hasbro) would pretend that the new OGL was #1 only about combating bad actors.
I am offended that you are acting like we got it all wrong and all your actions were altruistic.
I am offended you consider us so stupid with your statement trying to misdirect this community about your intentions.

You didn't just "roll a 1", we caught you cheating.

And I am inspired by the response:

Last edited:

Reynard

Legend
I agree wholeheartedly but wanted to add: even though the motivation was not altruistic, it still resulted in actual Good. Open Gaming (not just Open D&D) is a valuable and powerful thing that gained traction because of the success of WotC's OGL. That a number of non-WotC SRD based games ended up using the OGL to make their rules available to the community is a testament to this.

delericho

Legend
Yeah. Back when WotC first mooted the OGL there was a huge amount of scepticism about their motives - about whether they'd try to steal our stuff, about whether it was really irrevocable, etc. Sad to see much of that proven right belatedly.

I've decided to view it like a big flower garden - the gardeners have taken umbrage at all the bees flying around and drinking their nectar, and especially at the sweet, sweet honey that the bees have made from it. So they're driving off the bees, not considering that they're not parasites; they symbionts who help pollinate the garden.

Greggy C

Hero
We agreed to support their game instead of making our own games, they agreed to let us use their content. That helped make their game better, more popular.
It also stagnated the industry, all the creators, rather than innovating new games, just reproduced 5e content because it was low effort, high reward to get profits.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I agree with most of the sentiment. My only disagreement would be the idea that 100 companies would have all made their own games if they knew the OGL was revocable.

In my opinion without the OGL most of those 100 companies would not even exist, let alone make their own games. They only existed because they were hitching their wagon to the comings and going of Dungeons & Dragons because it was the best way for them to make money from the work they did.

And that's even the case today. People make material for D&D not out of the goodness of their heart but because they know it's the best way to have people look at, try out, and buy their stuff. Without D&D and the "marketing" that comes with being compatible with it... most people and companies just wouldn't even make the attempt, is my belief.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I agree with most of the sentiment. My only disagreement would be the idea that 100 companies would have all made their own games if they knew the OGL was revocable.

In my opinion without the OGL most of those 100 companies would not even exist, let alone make their own games. They only existed because they were hitching their wagon to the comings and going of Dungeons & Dragons because it was the best way for them to make money from the work they did.

And that's even the case today. People make material for D&D not out of the goodness of their heart but because they know it's the best way to have people look at, try out, and buy their stuff. Without D&D and the "marketing" that comes with being compatible with it... most people and companies just wouldn't even make the attempt, is my belief.
Doesn’t matter if it’s 100,1000, or 1.

Remove ads