D&D 5E Let's Discuss Arcana of the Ancients

GlassJaw

Hero
No. A Stargate like campaign...but instead of Earth it is a dying world and the PCs (and others) are going world to world looking for a safe place to move as many of the People as possible before it is destroyed. Many of the worlds will have AotA aspects to them. And, their off world base will be one such world. The Gods can't tell them which worlds are best, because they are so busy (using their power) to keep the world from being destroyed ....or something like that.
That is so awesome. I ran a similar campaign using Savage Worlds a while back. A hostile aliens civilization basically conquered Earth but humans were able to reverse-engineer their tech and started dimensional-hopping to escape and hopefully figure out a way to stop the aliens.

I also set it up so we could alternate GMs. We would switch GMs when the party found a new portal and hopped through. It was really fun.

Dire Bare

Legend
Utterly disappointed, but from the other side of the equation. I was expecting something more like Numenera with types (i.e., nanos, jacks, glaives), focuses, and the like converted to 5e and not just D&D wholesale inserted into the Ninth World with some science fantasy adornments.
AofA adds the Numenera setting and some of the Cypher system mechanics to D&D for science fantasy play . . . but I can see where you would have wanted to see 5E versions of the nano, jack, and glaive classes. They correspond pretty well with wizards/clerics, rogues, and warriors . . . but those same archetypes with different mechanics behind them would be interesting. I can also see why MCG didn't go that route, as it would be somewhat redundant.

Dire Bare

Legend
No. A Stargate like campaign...but instead of Earth it is a dying world and the PCs (and others) are going world to world looking for a safe place to move as many of the People as possible before it is destroyed. Many of the worlds will have AotA aspects to them. And, their off world base will be one such world. The Gods can't tell them which worlds are best, because they are so busy (using their power) to keep the world from being destroyed ....or something like that.
Check this out, the Legendary Planet Bundle on the Bundle of Holding. It just launched today!

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
I did not pcik up Beneath the Monolith. That's the actual setting book, right? Is there anything in there largely missing from AotA?
It is, this preview should be okay....

Clipboard01XXX.jpg

Remove ads