D&D 5E Lets Rank the 5e Skills!

Psikerlord#

Explorer
I'm surprised at the amount of dislike Investigation is getting. One thing I noticed in the Starter Set adventure is that Investigation is often called for when searching a room for treasure and secret doors. Perception is so overpowered that I personally plan to use it primarily for *noticing* things, but Investigation for *finding* something.

As for Animal Handling, in the Starter Set adventure there's a
room with wolves in the first goblin complex. I'd definitely allow Animal Handling as an option for getting past those wolves.
I agree and think investigation and perception have a lot of potential cross over in 5e. investigation helps you find secret doors/traps etc just as much as perception, provided you have some time to look for clues. finding a trap via investigation might be dc 15, or dc 18 with perception, for example, because it should be easier to find clues to deduce there is a trap, as opposed to spotting the trap wholesale immediately. anything to balance out perception is good imo, its the top skill hands down, regardless!

Psikerlord#

Explorer
I would rate skills as follows:
A. perception
B. athletics, acrobatics, persuasuion, deception, stealth, investigation, sleight of hand, insight
C. arcana, history, religion, survival, intimidation
D. animal handling, performance, medicine, nature
I expect every PC will take perception in 5e bec they can, and it is just so important to not dieing. also we wont be using passive perception ( a pointless mechanic imo and just leads to the samepc spotting everything all the time, snore).

Quickleaf

Legend
[MENTION=2067]Kamikaze Midget[/MENTION]
Well, from the perspective of the entire party ALL skill are just color.

Example: Perception allows you to sense an ambush to avoid being surprised, or discover a secret door leading to bonus encounters/treasure. Neither avoiding surprise nor the bonus encounters/treasure are "necessary" to the adventure arc. Likewise, Athletics can be used to climb after the thief to encounter him without backup, get to a hard to reach perch to fire arrows, or swim to the bottom of a lake to gain a sunken treasure.

None of those situations are "necessary" to the adventure, just like the case with Perception. They are color, yes, and color MATTERS. It matters because of the story space the player holds in their mind, reinforcing how they see their character. It matters because it suggests the sort of complications the DM might introduce if things don't go as planned. It matters when figuring out how to resolve a group check.

Also, going a bit deeper, I think you've grouped skills into two distinct categories:"Plot changing/scene framing" and "useless color", or something along those lines. Could you articulate this more clearly?

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
In that case, they're just color. They don't let you accomplish a goal you wouldn't otherwise be able to accomplish. If you don't HAVE to burst open the door or get that chest or gain advantage in order to get the MacGuffin, you don't need the skill.

You don't HAVE to do a damn thing in the game. You don't HAVE to engage in combat.

Bursting open the door in the right circumstances gains you surprise. You don't HAVE to gain surprise, but it's definitely not just color. You don't HAVE to use your swimming skills to get to the chest, but it's not just color to get the stuff in the chest. You don't HAVE to get advantage from climbing to a higher point over your foe, but gaining advantage has mechanical benefits that are not just color. I am really having trouble understanding your point here...how are any of these things different from any other things in the game?

And if it's not just color, the whole party needs to do it -- if the goal is go get over that pit, then you're going to need ways for people without Athletics/Acrobatics to get over that pit.

Yes and the guy with the skill gets over the pit, with a rope, as I already described, which helps the others get over the pit. It's not the only way to do it in the game, but it's one good way to do it. Sort of like every other ability in the game.

I've never encountered one of these challenges that wasn't entirely ignorable or that I couldn't use some other skill to get the same result from.

And I could say the same for those other skills. And?

I mean, they're D-ranked skills. You could say the same about Sleight of Hand or Performance or History. There are sometimes special challenges for those skills! Challenges that are mostly color or padding, and are hardly essential to the party's goals.

You're entirely alone so far in that opinion on Athletics and Acrobatics. Which is fine, but you declaring them D-ranked in that factual tone seems dubious. The overwhelming majority of players seem to view this differently - which tells me perhaps they're not just color.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
[MENTION=2067]Kamikaze Midget[/MENTION]
Well, from the perspective of the entire party ALL skill are just color.

Example: Perception allows you to sense an ambush to avoid being surprised, or discover a secret door leading to bonus encounters/treasure. Neither avoiding surprise nor the bonus encounters/treasure are "necessary" to the adventure arc. Likewise, Athletics can be used to climb after the thief to encounter him without backup, get to a hard to reach perch to fire arrows, or swim to the bottom of a lake to gain a sunken treasure.

Ah, but the big difference here is that perception is a necessary antidote to an enemy's power -- if you DON'T have it, you might experience some penalty in any given session, because possible surprise is something that is present in almost every combat. Loss aversion!

Athletics/Acrobatics doesn't penalize you much if you can't do it (there's usually other ways to get your goal, and you're not going to take damage from NOT jumping around on rooftops), and it relies on DMs giving you special hooks to slot your skill check into. Two strikes!

Also, going a bit deeper, I think you've grouped skills into two distinct categories:"Plot changing/scene framing" and "useless color", or something along those lines. Could you articulate this more clearly?

The basic criteria I used (in no particular order) were:
  • Ability to control the skill's use as a player (active skills like Persuasion trump reactive skills like Insight)
  • Ability of the skill's success to be shared with the party (skills that allow you to share success, like Arcana, trump skills that are individual, like Slieght of Hand)
  • Redundancy with a higher-ranked skill (skills that duplicate effects that more useful skills can do rank lower, like Intimidation duplicating the effects of Persuasion or Deception)
  • Ability to accomplish broad goals in and of themselves (so "I want to figure out what this magic thing does" outranks "I endure a day without rations")
  • Interaction with other game elements and frequency/impact of those elements (Perception interacts with Surprise, which comes up every combat and might save your life, but Performance is pretty much by itself)
  • Negative consequences for the party as a result of a failed check (Don't make your Perception check, suddenly the healer must heal faster and the fighter might go down faster; don't make your History check, you can go consult a library or somethin').

Acrobatics/Athletics only come up with the DM puts something there for them to do (a pit or a tightrope), don't really interact with other game elements (damage if you fall, otherwise not much), have little in the way of negative party consequences (maybe you'll have to rest a bit sooner if someone takes a bad fall, but there's little reason not to rest whenever you want anyway if you aren't currently in a fight), cannot accomplish large goals by themselves (it'll take MULTIPLE checks to do much of anything of long-term significance), and are "selfish" in that they don't help the party with a success (congrats, you're over the pit, now about Tordek in his full plate...). They aren't very redundant, which is why they're high-ranked in the D-list, but their specialness depends on the DM making special accommodations for them, and in that respect they're not much better than Sleight of Hand or Performance.

Mistwell said:
I am really having trouble understanding your point here...how are any of these things different from any other things in the game?

Your character goes on if you don't swim to get the chest, but she doesn't if you get surprised and then critted

Mistwell said:
Yes and the guy with the skill gets over the pit, with a rope, as I already described, which helps the others get over the pit. It's not the only way to do it in the game, but it's one good way to do it. Sort of like every other ability in the game.

So lets all use a rope (maybe with a grapple or a crossbow bolt) and spend that skill proficiency on something that you can't duplicate with clever equipment choices.

Mistwell said:
You're entirely alone so far in that opinion on Athletics and Acrobatics. Which is fine, but you declaring them D-ranked in that factual tone seems dubious. The overwhelming majority of players seem to view this differently - which tells me perhaps they're not just color.

It just tells me that color is really valuable to some people. Valuable enough that they'll defend the color skills simply on the basis of personal affection for them. It doesn't matter if Athletics/Acrobatics doesn't do much, people really like picking them and putting them on their character sheet because it is empowering and helps define their character as a competent, powerful person. The fact that 3 GP (28 if you want a climber's kit, too) could make the skill redundant in some situations doesn't matter as much as the ability to look at your character sheet and say, "My character is Acrobatic! I am going to do backflips!" Maybe if Sleight of Hand was rolled into a more characteristic skill like "Ninja Hands" we'd see people valuing it much more highly.

Color's valuable. It's just not very functional. My list was targeted at a fairly functional ranking.

But of course it's just my list.

Last edited:

Andor

First Post
KM your arguments about skills seem to flow from your belief that a GM cannot allow his players to fail at any task either singly or collectively. I've seen that kind of game but I don't really care for it either to run or to play in. YMMV.

Heroes can screw up, bad guys can win. If not, why even bother getting out of bed?

If the heroes don't catch the thief it might mean the heroes can track him down in his lair later. Or it might mean he delivers the macguffin to the cultists and the midnight ritual summons Golgorath the devourer of cities while the PCs are in the tavern congratulating themselves on how clever they were not to have chased that thief across the slippery rooftops.

keterys

First Post
Feels like Acrobatics, Athletics, and Investigation are being underrated by several posters.

Insight appears fairly overrated. Much like all of the "talky" skills, you really only need a couple people to handle it, and frankly I've found Insight incredibly unreliable. Maybe it's a DM problem, or an adventure design problem, but there ya go.

Depending on the game, Arcana might be extra strong too.

Other than that, largely agree with the ratings.

Quickleaf

Legend
Kamikaze Midget said:
The basic criteria I used (in no particular order) were:
  • Ability to control the skill's use as a player (active skills like Persuasion trump reactive skills like Insight)
  • Ability of the skill's success to be shared with the party (skills that allow you to share success, like Arcana, trump skills that are individual, like Slieght of Hand)
  • Redundancy with a higher-ranked skill (skills that duplicate effects that more useful skills can do rank lower, like Intimidation duplicating the effects of Persuasion or Deception)
  • Ability to accomplish broad goals in and of themselves (so "I want to figure out what this magic thing does" outranks "I endure a day without rations")
  • Interaction with other game elements and frequency/impact of those elements (Perception interacts with Surprise, which comes up every combat and might save your life, but Performance is pretty much by itself)
  • Negative consequences for the party as a result of a failed check (Don't make your Perception check, suddenly the healer must heal faster and the fighter might go down faster; don't make your History check, you can go consult a library or somethin').

Acrobatics/Athletics only come up with the DM puts something there for them to do (a pit or a tightrope), don't really interact with other game elements (damage if you fall, otherwise not much), have little in the way of negative party consequences (maybe you'll have to rest a bit sooner if someone takes a bad fall, but there's little reason not to rest whenever you want anyway if you aren't currently in a fight), cannot accomplish large goals by themselves (it'll take MULTIPLE checks to do much of anything of long-term significance), and are "selfish" in that they don't help the party with a success (congrats, you're over the pit, now about Tordek in his full plate...). They aren't very redundant, which is why they're high-ranked in the D-list, but their specialness depends on the DM making special accommodations for them, and in that respect they're not much better than Sleight of Hand or Performance.

Thats a great set of criteria! :)

I re-read the Basic rules on surprise, because they way you were talking about them made me think of BD&D Rles Cyclopedia where there's always a chance of surprise, even unintentionally. However, that's not the case in the 5e Basic PDF...

The DM determines who might be surprised. If neither side tries to be stealthy, they automatically notice each other.

I would argue that the awesomeness of Perception depends on how an individual DM interprets this bit about surprise, and whether the campaign style involves lots of sneaking monsters. Certainly a dungeon crawl might, but there are many modes of "standard D&D" that would not involve sneaking monsters. IOW it's also a circumstantial skill.

Anyhow, one skill I'm interested in examining in this edition is Insight...

Insight:Your Wisdom (Insight) check determines whether you can determine the true intentions of a creature, such as when searching out a lie or predicting someone's next move. Doing so involves gleaning clues from body language, speech habits, and changes in mannerisms.

Many players I've gamed with have used Insight as a lie detector, both when I DM and when I'm just another player (so I know I'm not wholly to blame for a cocked up DMing style ;) ). Personally, I hate it when players do that because there's no pathos, nothing of interest, just this binary view of motivation and some kind of "D&D NPC questioning protocol" that seems severely pathological. :) Not that I have strong feelings about this...

What do you think?

Last edited:

Starfox

Hero
Acrobatics - B
Animal Handling - C
Arcana - B
Athletics - C
Deception - B
History - B
Insight - B
Intimidation - C
Investigation - C
Medicine - D
Nature - C
Perception - A+
Performance - C - my players love this
Persuasion - B
Religion - C
Sleight of Hand - D
Stealth - B
Survival - C

The one I dislike is Perception, because it is too important. I like the introduction of the investigation skill. Even so, Perception is too important, especially if you use individual surprise.

In Maid (yes, that is a RPG), there is no perception skill. Our solution there is to use whatever ability governs the situation also govern perception - against a physical surprise (ambush) you roll Athletics or Cunning (the same rolls used for stealth), against a mechanical trap use Skill (the attribute governing objects), and so on.

Last edited:

Essenti

Explorer
Athletics and Acrobatics do appear a bit undervalued in this thread. They are the primary skills used in grappling. The rules for grappling are fairly simple and not immensely over powered in 5e, with bounded accuracy in place. I hope to see them get used more in our game play, but it hasn't happened much, yet. I hope that they are utilized in more maneuvers in the PHB or DMG.

Perception as a skill does seem overly strong, and I think few PCs go without it as a proficiency. But for those that don't, it can provide an interesting experience... being "that guy" that always seems to be the last one to know what is going on, could be fun to role play.

Remove ads