D&D 5E Let's Read: Volo's Monsters

I look at it more like they have to slow down to actually engage in combat, so that 120 ft of movement is their combat speed and then out of combat they move quick enough to disappear. The logic is that while their magic protects them quite a bit, trying to stab someone with a steel knife while moving close to the speed of sound is going to end very poorly for everyone involved, so they slow down enough to fight and if they decide to leave, they just do so.

But yeah, as written most DnD speeds are wonky as heck and make no sense when extrapolated out into mph. Your average DnD party moves incredibly slowly, even with overland travel rules, but it doesn't matter as much if you squint and follow the story more than the mechanics for stuff like that.

Well, the speed of sound is 340 meters per second, which equates to a movement speed of 6752' in 5E terms, or 3376' if they only approach the speed of sound while Dashing. I don't think Quicklings are in any danger of breaking any sound barriers any time soon.

Normally I can just ignore the speed issue for the most part, but when people start talking as if a movement speed of 120' makes you an invisible blur, the engineer in me goes "Wait a minute!" And I really don't see anything wrong with increasing their movement speed to 600' so that they can be something approaching a blur (i.e. about as fast as an automobile but far more maneuverable = a blur in close-quarters combat) from either an in-game descriptive or a game-balance perspective. Sure, it means that a Quickling can almost guaranteed exit a combat by Disengaging (unless grappled/caught/fighting a Sentinel) and live to fight another day--but that's exactly what you'd expect, isn't it?

And it also makes them useful as long-range messengers, etc. Otherwise they're barely faster than a wizard on a Phantom Steed.

The Shadow Mastiff comes from the Feywild, but is not a Fey itself, being instead a Monstrosity. It’s a pretty cool opponent though, and surprisingly easy to work into your game, despite being a supernatural shadow dog.

I’m a really big fan of the artwork for this creature. It looks menacing and distinctly unfluffy, with a mouthful of fangs that only a mother could love. The artist also managed to make it look like it was breaking apart into wisps of shadow, which I think must have been a very difficult challenge. It’s cool.

The Shadow Mastiffs appear to be essentially just the dogs of the Shadowfell. Since that plane is a horrible wasteland full of undead, darkness, and Shadar-Ki, these puppies are pretty dangerous themselves. They seem to be a true-breeding race, and they come in packs, neither of which is likely to make your players any happier. They are often summoned by people who fancy the idea of sunlight-hating shadow dogs that can see into the Ethereal plane, in other words the kinds of people that your players are likely to want to rob, and can serve as excellent guard dogs. The entry name-checks the followers of Shar, Forgotten Realms goddess of shadow; they spend a lot of time fighting against the followers of Selune, goddess of the moon, and that is certainly a conflict that you can use to be the basis of a storyline. They can also just appear on the material plane - jumping through portals, either alone or as a pack - so can be good additions to any dark and haunted regions of your world.

The Shadow Mastiff can not see invisible creatures, but does get advantage on hearing/smelling them; I’d have a think about how you want to rule that. In my game, being invisible simply lets you try to stealth even while standing in the middle of the room, and does not usually give advantage unless I’m feeling generous (or it is a very noisy day, for example). I think that it is very easy for Rogues in particular to stealth, so they don’t need the help! Regardless, when running these guys as guard dogs, worth deciding that up front. In addition, they can see into the Ethereal plane - that undoes the benefit of Etherealness, a level seven spell, and presumably some other tricks that I’m not aware of. It also means that Night Hags and Ghosts are both foiled by these guys, somewhat oddly. This seems to be less effective against player characters than it sounds, since using the ethereal plane is not normally how the heroes sneak around.

The Shadow Mastiff is similar to the Shadow, being much more potent in darkness than in light. It has Sunlight Weakness for starters, and in addition half of its special abilities only work in dim light, such as its resistances to nonmagical weapons or its Shadow Blend ability. This last one is the gem of this statblock: a bonus action to go invisible. Using this, a Shadow Mastiff can run up to a player, bite them, then turn invisible to give disadvantage to return attacks. However, they stop being invisible in ‘bright light’, so I would also expect at least one argument at the table about just how bright, precisely, the party torch is. In practice, given how ubiquitous light sources are for player characters, this trick is not likely to work all that often; you might be able to do it by having the Shadow Mastiffs retreat and then go invisible, but they are not immune to opportunity attacks so that also might be a difficult one.

This entry gives you a pack of dangerous monsters who can be neutered somewhat by clever players. This means that they can vary wildly in difficulty, which is something that you could take advantage of - a combat in a room with lots of mirrors, for example, might be a memorable bout that lets the players feel like they did won by doing something other than just hitting things with swords. Like the Froghemoth, if you don’t want the fight to be that easily neutered, it’s worth combining them with something that can cast Darkness, for example Hags. One last note is that they included a ready-made Alpha for the pack, which I thought was a clever touch - just a quick sidebar, rather than a whole statblock. These ones get slightly more HP, a higher intelligence, and gets a Terrifying Howl that gives the Frightened condition out to 300 feet. That isn’t a hugely dangerous condition - especially if you rule that those who fail are only frightened of the Alpha, rather than all of the Mastiffs - but then this is only a CR 2 creature.

This is a solid entry. It will probably benefit from a custom-made location, as meeting one in a 10’x10’ brightly lit room will be pretty underwhelming for everyone. As an example, the Norse realm of Nidavellir, which Planescape located on the third layer of Ysgard, has the totally hilarious quality that no light source of any kind functions there - it is Darkvision or Blindness, effectively, just as the native Dwarves and Gnomes like it. These guys would be an unholy terror under those conditions, so something similar might be a worthwhile inclusion. Regardless - this is a fun statblock, with a lot to distinguish them from just ‘bag of hitpoints shaped like a dog’.

The Shadow Mastiff is similar to the Shadow, being much more potent in darkness than in light. It has Sunlight Weakness for starters, and in addition half of its special abilities only work in dim light, such as its resistances to nonmagical weapons or its Shadow Blend ability. This last one is the gem of this statblock: a bonus action to go invisible. Using this, a Shadow Mastiff can run up to a player, bite them, then turn invisible to give disadvantage to return attacks. However, they stop being invisible in ‘bright light’, so I would also expect at least one argument at the table about just how bright, precisely, the party torch is. In practice, given how ubiquitous light sources are for player characters, this trick is not likely to work all that often; you might be able to do it by having the Shadow Mastiffs retreat and then go invisible, but they are not immune to opportunity attacks so that also might be a difficult one.

Just pair them with allies who have missile weapons, e.g. gnolls lurking in the darkness of night. The players will voluntarily hurry to extinguish their own light sources, because otherwise the gnolls will be able to see them by their own torchlight, but they still can't see the goblins, which means the gnolls get advantage on all of their attacks.

If they put out their torches, then at least the gnolls have to come within 60' to see them, so they're in mutual darkvision range (if PCs have darkvision) and nobody gets advantage--but the Shadow Mastiff does get to use its shadow ability. (AFB, but I assume it can be used in darkness as well as dim light.)

Chaosmancer

Legend
I've found players rarely use Light sources any more, because only 3 of the PHB races lack Darkvision (Halfling, Human, Dragonborn which all appear together). Most of the DM's (myself included) also tend to forget that Darkvision imposes disadvantage to perception checks. Honestly, it's one of the least used mechanics in my games, so this creature has a good chance of darkness being available for a few turns at least, until Daylight is cast.

Other than that, it is good to note that the Shadow Mastiff Bite is an improvement on the Dire Wolves it looks like, 2d6+3 is solid damage and DC 13 or prone is nice. I am surprised they don't get pack tactics though, since them being in packs is called out repeatedly.

Another oddity, they can see Ethereal Creatures, but they can't necessarily do any thing about it. To my understanding being Ethereal means you can't be affected except by force damage, so the Shadow Mastiff can see you, bark like crazy, but can't actually do anything else. Waking the entire place up is decent, but ultimately accomplishes nothing of note, as the ethereal player just leaves and comes back another time.

I didn't think I would like the random monstrosities (like the shadow mastiff) wandering the planes, but they make a nice surprise for parties that get, how shall I say, overly comfortable with spells like magic circle as battlefield control, particularly if they show up on similar dark planes (like Pandemonium) :devil:

dave2008

Legend
Well, the speed of sound is 340 meters per second, which equates to a movement speed of 6752' in 5E terms, or 3376' if they only approach the speed of sound while Dashing. I don't think Quicklings are in any danger of breaking any sound barriers any time soon.

Normally I can just ignore the speed issue for the most part, but when people start talking as if a movement speed of 120' makes you an invisible blur, the engineer in me goes "Wait a minute!" And I really don't see anything wrong with increasing their movement speed to 600' so that they can be something approaching a blur (i.e. about as fast as an automobile but far more maneuverable = a blur in close-quarters combat) from either an in-game descriptive or a game-balance perspective. Sure, it means that a Quickling can almost guaranteed exit a combat by Disengaging (unless grappled/caught/fighting a Sentinel) and live to fight another day--but that's exactly what you'd expect, isn't it?

And it also makes them useful as long-range messengers, etc. Otherwise they're barely faster than a wizard on a Phantom Steed.

What D&D has never done well is model the difference between quickness/ reflexes and speed. I can play with my dog and my reflexes and quickness are just as good if not better than his; however, if we were to chase the same ball, he leaves me in the dust without a thought. I've always assumed the speed giving in D&D is just in combat, before they can get up to full speed. It is generally not to bad from that perspective. That being said, I think a 600 ft. speed for the Quickling would be great, perfect for closing in on those long range archers!

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
Here is an idea: A Shadow Mastiff can use it's bonus action to become invisible. This invisibility also extends to anything the shadow mastiff is carrying.

This can be used in two ways.
Firstly, it can be used to fetch some object, then run away.

Secondly, and perhaps more fun, it can be ridden by a small creature and turn them both invisible. Good options for riders include Hafling Blackgaurds, and Goblins.

In general, anything which can knock you prone and has good speed (40' or more) is a good candidate for wolf-pack tactics: bite something, hope it falls prone, retreat as far as you can. You'll eat an opportunity attack (at disadvantage if it is prone) but any followup attacks from other wolves will be completely safe; and if the target does fall prone it won't be able to attack you normally on its own turn (not enough movement left to stand + move into range of you). So essentially you're getting a whole bunch of Shadow Mastiffs/similar who all get a bite attack (some at advantage against a prone target) in exchange for one opportunity attack, possibly at disadvantage.

This tactic is not dependent at all on the "Pack Tactics" feature because it is made out of real tactics. :)

For a Shadow Mastiff, you either turn invisible after your attack (so as to take no opportunity attack at all) or else, if the target is in the light, you try to reach darkness and turn invisible there for defensive purposes.

Bitbrain

Lost in Dark Sun
Here is an idea: A Shadow Mastiff can use it's bonus action to become invisible. This invisibility also extends to anything the shadow mastiff is carrying . . . it can be ridden by a small creature and turn them both invisible. Good options for riders include Hafling Blackgaurds, and Goblins.

The gnome rogue in my group's primary campaign would probably die of happiness if the main DM offered her a shadow mastiff steed with this feature.

This guy creeps me out a little, so this post might be short. We’re discussing the Slithering Tracker, which is basically an ooze that you use if you hate nice things, I guess.

oosljest.gif

The image in Volo’s reminds me of the CGI T-1000 from Terminator 2. You know, the liquid metal guy? It’s basically one of them floating out of it’s victim’s chest. A great image, especially with the distressingly bloated with blood section of the Tracker.

The Slithering Tracker is the remains of some poor fool that willingly undergoes a ritual to be turned into a vampiric puddle of ooze, which is done for the express purpose of gaining revenge on someone. However, they tend to go mad and just start hunting anyone that they can, since their need for blood and inability to speak overwhelms their mind. This is the sort of thing that would seem so obviously a bad idea that it makes me wonder just how crap the average D&D world is, if it makes people honestly want to do this. They are normally super hard to spot, as they look like a puddle and can flow along ceilings and whatnot, but after feeding it turns bright red and leaves a trail of blood behind it. Lovely.

The Slithering Tracker is one of the (many) monsters in D&D that is kind of too weak to face a full party, and which doesn’t make sense when encountered in groups. It’s basically a solo encounter without the ability to function as a solo, if that makes sense. It can hide, it can ambush, and it can drown people in itself. To me, this seems like an excellent creature to have turn up for revenge when the players are taking a rest - forcing the Rogue to fight it by himself, or maybe with the help of the Paladin who is still in her nightgown, for example. It’s sneaky and tough enough to be exciting in that context, without feeling like as much of a dick move as the CR 8 Assassin would be. The Slithering Tracker is also probably more interesting in a murder mystery - when the players have to work out who or what killed the Mayor, for example - than it is in a normal dungeon or wilderness environment. In that regard, it will probably make a fine if somewhat easy end of investigation fight, being interesting and distinctive rather than difficult.

So this is a fine creature to use in very specific circumstances. It’s probably one of the most limited things in the game, in that respect. If you want a ready-built murder mystery, then use the Slithering Tracker; for almost everything else then you’ll do better with another option. Simple.

Sent from my iPhone using EN World mobile app

Remove ads