D&D 5E Let's Read: Volo's Monsters

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
Death Kisses are surprisingly simple for a giant blood-sucking eyeball that is about as intelligent as a man. However, a Particularly clever one could leverage it's physiology in a unexpected way: By going underwater.

Breathing through it's tentacles, it could stay mostly submerged, affording the creature some measure of stealth, Resistance to fire attacks, and make it even harder to engage in melee combat. This also allows the Death Kiss to use all of it's tentacles at the same time. Dragging every target it can underwater, even the "passive" tentacles become a ticking clock over the heads of less physically inclined PCs, while it works on actively subduing the more robust members of the party.

Exceptionally malicious DMs will take note that Electricity and Water make for a shockingly lethal combination. Giving the Death Kiss some traps, items, or allies to exploit this connection and it's immunity would spice up the encounter. Or perhaps even going as far as modifying the damage of Lighting Blood to become an AoE while everyone is submerged, just to up the challenge a bit for those high end parties.,

Interesting. I rule that magic and physics don't interact, in my games; so electricity spells and water don't combine. (I find it easier that way, especially since I'm the arts graduate in a group of science nerds.) But hiding in water could be a nice way to give the party a tough choice, since you could rule that they are blinded by the water in respect to the Death Kiss, causing problems for magic users. Plus the Death Kiss rising out of the water, after the players get thoroughly confused by what they are fighting, could make for a really cinematic moment. Darklake in Out of the Abyss, for example, could be a great venue for this.

They are indeed pretty simple. Grab, suck, dish some lightning damage in melee. One of the rare 5e monsters that is intelligent but doesn't have spells.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
Interesting. I rule that magic and physics don't interact, in my games; so electricity spells and water don't combine. (I find it easier that way, especially since I'm the arts graduate in a group of science nerds.)

I tend to go a step further and rule that magic is the physics of the D&D world. That way really weird or troublesome implications can be hand-waved while allowing room for crazy ideas. But then again I also rule that aberrations, (and especially creatures from the far realm or tied to some kind of psionic/dream power) are a walking paradox that rejects the rules of reality, so horrible twistings of what should happen are commonplace around them.

Mostly though, it's just a shout-out to how older editions handled electric damage under water. My group tends to like things like that.

Chaosmancer

Legend
I just finished reading the entry for the Death Kiss... and I'm stumped as to why their blood drain does lightning damage?

It fits the elemental theme of the creature generating electricity from blood, but allows creatures who resist lighting damage to resist having their blood sucked?

Anyways, this is an incredibly interesting thread.

I'll stick around to get crazy ideas on how to use some of these things, though I'll wait to talk about one of my new favorite monsters until we actually arrive at that entry

Anyways, this is an incredibly interesting thread.

I'll stick around to get crazy ideas on how to use some of these things, though I'll wait to talk about one of my new favorite monsters until we actually arrive at that entry

Glad you're enjoying it :D There are some super interesting monsters coming up, but feel free to jump in and discuss whatever catches your interest :)

So our trip through the Beholderkin takes us to the Gauth. I got curious about how many kinds of Beholderkin have existed in the past; the answer, apparently, is “a lot”.

Looking online, I actually managed to find the Volo’s Guide art; but I decided to keep using other sources, since that provides some nice variety, and also because this time I managed to find a Tony DiTerlizzi piece.

tumblr_inline_nhlaoefRqh1r0zz7o.png

Fun, right? The Volo’s art is pretty decent, with an enjoyably complex arrangement of the eye-stalks and the texture of the skin being really well done, but it definitely lacks a sense of place or scale. That’s pretty common in the book, but the Gauth somehow really exemplifies it. I suspect that the art style was chosen specifically for making the pieces easy to see from across the table, when the DM holds up the book, rather than for being separate and complex ‘scenes’ in which the monsters appear. Also, I imagine that it is cheaper to have just the monster, not a whole painting.

One last note about the art: the tiny little eyes surrounding the central eye kind of freak me out a little. We’ve definitely reached eyeball overload at this stage.

The Gauth is basically a smaller Beholder. It is also mad, it is also tyrannical, and it also shoots eyebeams, unlike the Death Kiss. I’m really amused by the idea, outlined under ‘Accidental Summoning’, that a Gauth could arrive when someone tries to summon a Spectator (which is the small guardian-Beholder thing from the Monster Manual - one is guarding the forge in Lost Mine of Phandelver). The idea of a smart but not very wise Wizard, afflicted with +0 Insight and Perception scores, feeding all of his precious magic items to a Gauth in the mistaken belief that it will guard them loyally is really funny. Then add the fact that the Gauth is Int 15 and can speak, and you’ve got the potential for a comedic interlude when the party runs across this pair.

Party: “You sold us this potion, but it didn’t work. There’s no magic in it.”
Wizard: “Impossible! My loyal bodyguard, Evans the Eyeball, keeps my potions and scrolls safe from all harm.” [1]
Party: “That isn’t your loyal bodyguard, it’s a Gauth! A monster!”
Gauth: “No, I’m not. I’m a Spectator. Very loyal.”
Party: “You don’t look anything like a Spectator! You stole the magic!”
Gauth: “That’s hurtful, that is, jumping to conclusions based on my physical appearance. And you call yourself heroes.”

Maybe I’ve just read too much Terry Pratchett, though?

Otherwise, this variety of malevolent eyeball can turn up either as a hive of several of them (making a great Beholder battle if your party cannot handle the real deal) or as minions of a Beholder itself. I’ve mentioned earlier the benefit of smaller monsters in a boss fight or boss location, and these guys have especial advantage that you get much the same experience as fighting a Beholder. That lets you have the party fight multiple eye-ray monsters, but only kill the one Beholder, which keeps them as scary rare monster, rather than numerous victims of the PCs. I’m a big fan of not over-exposing the really famous monsters (Dragons, Vampires, etc) in the game, to keep that air of mystery and danger about them.

The Gauth works basically like a Beholder. It doesn’t get the top-tier rays - no Disintegration, Petrification or Charm here - but enough to keep things interesting. This edition they’ve gone for random rolling for the eye rays - which this excerpt from the 3.5 MM reveals was not always the case. Apparently they also got to use all six rays at once then, which seems… unpleasant. Anyway, the random rays thing is intriguing. It definitely weakens the monster, letting it not just spam Paralysis every turn, and it can’t guarantee not rolling a useless one (Charm versus a Oath of Devotions Paladin, say). On the other hand, it also gives the fight some more drama (“You rolled paralysis again?! Guys, we’re in trouble!”), makes the monster easier to run for novice DMs, and ensures that the Beholderkin won’t just always use the best three rays available without variety. I’ve personally never had a Beholderkin combat, so I don’t have any experience to draw on either way.

One big change here - a Stunning beam, not Anti-Magic. I’d suggest that in some ways this is actually the stronger of the two options, just because it doesn’t stop the Gauth itself from attacking the targets inside the ray. The save DC is not terrible, at Wisdom 14, but it isn’t hard to imagine several party members failing that repeatedly. The easy way out is to avoid looking at it, as this stunning beam works essentially the same as a Medusa stare, and so (from experience with Marlos Urnrayle in PotA), most characters will just take the disadvantage on the chin, or stay more than 30 feet away.

As a final note, the Gauth is really squishy - AC 15 and 67 HP for a CR 6 baddie. He’s going down pretty fast when the party focuses on him. So I think that makes it easier to use a Gauth in combination either with a Beholder or other Gauths: they have the hitpoints of minions, not of big bosses. So all in, I think that you’ll see these guys mainly as weaker, easier to massacre Beholders, used to give the same flavour but also let the players kill a few critters and feel good about it.

[1] Note that the Gauth can’t damage Potions, but let’s not have rules stand in the way of fun, shall we?

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
Well that's odd. It turns out the beholderkin that acts more like a beholder has less "outside of the box" things to work with.

That said, the first thing that I imagined was a Gauth secretly running a carnival as a traveling thieves guild in order to keep itself fed. In addition to having to fight killer clowns, animal tamers, sideshow acts, and acrobats; the final battle could be set in the hall of mirrors. A place where the PC's can't effectively avert their gaze from the Stunning Gaze, and there would be all kinds of false targets presented to eat up a few attacks so that the Gauth has a chance to live longer.

I think that carnivals are, in general, an underused concept in D&D. Mordheim (the GW skirmish game) had the Carnival of Chaos, which was a bunch of travelling priests and cultists of the god of disease, which was perfectly pleasant and not at all horrific. I'd be tempted to include loads of other weird stuff as well: Gorillons from Volo's, a Mind Reader that turned out to be a bit tentacly, toss in Madam Eva from Curse of Strahd...

Chaosmancer

Legend
Well, now I need to add more circuses into the game, that sounds like a ton of fun.

Though, that hall of mirrors thing is super nasty.

Another thing to remember about Gauths though, is that they blow up when they die. It isn't a ton of damage, but if the PCs are fighting 4 or 5 Gauths in close quarters, that can quickly get very very bad

Today we have the last of the Beholderkin, the tiny wee Gazer. I could only find the art from the book itself for this entry; I did find lots of dubious anime art though of a blue-skinned girl in a bikini with beholder eyes on Doctor Octopus style limbs, which is, you know, a thing.

Volos-Guide-To-Monsters-Beholder-Gazer.jpg

The art for this is fine, but doesn’t really stand out in my opinion. The underlighting seems like an attempt to make the Gazer look menacing, combined with its evil expression, but then it also looks kind of chubby and silly, so the overall effect is muted.

The Gazer is basically the cat version of a Beholder. It is tiny, very stupid, eats mice, and can be annoying; it can also mimic sounds and voices. You can have one as a familiar, and I remember having one as a pet in the Hordes of the Underdark expansion pack for Neverwinter Nights. Great game, that. Anyway, this is not a pet that I’d probably want a player to have access to in all campaigns, but if my group decides to go for Out of the Abyss after we finish Curse of Strahd, I’m likely to damn near insist that someone take one. Calling it ‘cute’ might not be quite correct, but having a tiny Beholder follow the party around appeals to me. Lots of amusing roleplaying potential there, especially with its mimicry ability, low intelligence, and urge to victimise/eat anything smaller than it.

I don’t think that there is a lot of big story potential for these guys, beyond the players finding one and adopting it. They can serve as annoying chaff in a Beholder’s Lair, and a pack of them could arrive to annoy anyone who wanders off from the party in an Underdark setting, but otherwise they seem small enough, weak enough, and dumb enough not to drive much in the way of storylines themselves. That isn’t a bad thing, though - not every monster can or should be a walking plot hook, even if it belongs to the exalted Beholderkin family.

Combat wise, they are CR 1/2, and come with AC 13, hit points 13, and some surprisingly potent eyebeam attacks. 3d6 damage from 60ft away might end your campaign if you use too many of these guys against a low level party and the dice go that way. It also has an Orc’s Aggressive trait, for rushing towards enemies, which is an odd fit for things with potent ranged abilities and terrible melee ones, but then they are Aberrations (and dumb as rocks) so we shouldn’t necessarily assume that they think straight. Could be a good way to save your party if the little buggers do start murdering them, though; have the Gazers rush in eagerly to start chomping, letting the players cut them down. I suspect that this trait was mainly given to them to demonstrate their nature as wild (albeit aberrant) beasts.

And thus ends the Beholderkin. Just as well, really; I'm just about talked out of malevolent eyeballs!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases