D&D 5E Let's Read: Volo's Monsters

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
Aren't kobolds a bit more doggish in this version, art-wise? Its interesting to see them mix a bit between the dominant 3e and 4e lizard types, and the older 1e and 2e dog ones.

Yes! They have a doglike nose in this edition. Prior to 3rd edition, they were actually more like a rat than a dog.

Anyway, here is some art I got from the Dragon+ app. I love the junkyard-warrior theme they have going now, it's way better than the loincloth look.

Attachments

• Kobold 1.jpg
    Kobold 1.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 23,306

After being disappointed by the lack of kobold variants in the MM, the ones we got in VGtM were exactly what were needed. The next homebrew game I run will start with a kobold cave filled with these variants...

Sent from my VS987 using EN World mobile app

psychophipps

Explorer
I see kobolds as a kind of D&D Viet Cong. They look like nothing to worry about, make the PCs run through a Funhouse of Pain, and hit suddenly when the PCs are distracted by traps only to fade away when counterattacked.

Sent from my XT1254 using EN World mobile app

Last edited:

Oddly for a race with low Intelligence, the Kobolds have a theme of being clever at making traps and inventions. The Kobold Inventor is a weaponised version of this tendency, being a guy who tosses random crap into the combat throughout. He’s a lot of fun, and I think will be a popular guy for DMs everywhere.

4622_art_color.jpg

The Kobold Inventor has a really madcap picture. The fellow is laden down with so much random stuff that it is hard to see how he gets through any tunnels, and he also has one of the best Kobold pictures for seeing what their face looks like, with the lizard profile but dog nose. The Kobold himself has a clenched fist and a look of determination, but it might just be that he wants to sit down and is contemplating how much effort that will take.

The Kobolds don’t have access to advanced metallurgy or really good materials in general, so the Inventors are canny at creating wierd weapons from natural things like animals and slimes, as well as stuff stolen from other races. They might not last long - thanks to the crappy components, no doubt - but while they do they are ’surprisingly effective’. I think that you might get some mileage out of the idea of helping one of these guys get access to actually good components, especially if one of the characters in your group is a Kobold; that could then lead to the Inventor becoming a recurring quest-giver, who is forever asking for bizarre and improbable things for his next invention.

The Inventor has probably the most extreme disparity between CR and statblock size in the game, with over a whole column of text devoted to explaining all of the shenanigans that he can get up to. The majority of it looks about how you’d expect - Pack Tactics and Sunlight Sensitivity, plus the usual weapon options. However, the real meat here is the Weapon Invention rule, which is done out as a random roll like Beholders, a technique that I’m quite pleased with; it directs the DM to either pick or roll. I like that, since by numbering it the entry can save you time during the encounter - no need to read and scrutinise the entire entry every turn, just roll the dice and see what happens.

The individual options range from the simple - toss acid - to the bizarre - unleashing Skunks and Centipedes upon the enemy. A lot of them are liable to backfire upon the Inventor, which is exactly as it should be, and I think that many of them are definitely eye-catching. You’ll want to have some other stats on hand - you might have swarms of centipedes, rot grubs or wasps appear - but otherwise I think that most of these attack options are relatively easy to resolve.

So yeah, the Kobold Inventor. He’s fun, he’s low CR but likely to be sufficiently entertaining that you can toss him into a higher level encounter and still amuse your players, and he is likely to become the defining combat encounter for Kobolds in your campaign once he is used.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
Kobold Inventors are really fun, one small change I would make is changing the range on their inventions from 5/20 to 10/30. Mostly so that they don't have to suffer from having to use a ranged attack in melee combat. Another small change I would make is letting them use their Scorpion on a Stick invention as a normal melee weapon, that thing is great.

Additionally, inventors can serve several purposes in combat:

Firstly, they are complex and interesting highlights in a fight with what are otherwise extremely simple swarm-fighters.

Secondly, they they can serve to illustrate combatants of desperation, stage-two kobolds to deploy after the warren knows that they are under siege by a significantly more powerful threat (such as the PC's). As a result, they conscript the entire tribe for total warfare, equipping them with anything and everything that could be potentially useful.

Thirdly, you could strip out their list of "inventions" for other humanoids in similar situations to use.

Speaking of their inventions, here are a few ideas I came up with after looking at their list.

Skin of Soapy Water: The Kobold flings a water skin filled with alchemically altered water. Ranged weapon attack, +4 to hit 5/20 range. Hit: A target coated in this water must make a DC 10 Dexterity check at the start of all their turns or drop any item they are holding. Miss: A puddle of soapy water covers a randomly determined 5' square of floor within 5' of the target. This area counts as difficult terrain, and any character moving though the space must make a DC 10 dexterity saving throw or fall prone. The water evaporates after 1 minute, or a character can spend an action to use a piece of unwet cloth to dry themselves or the area off.

Jar of Sticky Honey: The Kobold flings a jar filled with alchemically altered honey. Ranged weapon attack, +4 to hit 5/20 range. Hit: The target is coated in extremely sticky honey. The target requires an action to drop whatever they are holding, or free themselves from any item they touched in order to use. Additionally, the target has disadvantage on any escape checks they make to free themselves of a grapple. While they are coated in this honey, the character will be the preferred target of enemy beasts. Unless it puts the beast in undue danger, or the beast is instructed otherwise by a handler, the beast will alter their tactics to attack the character, and have advantage on all attacks against them. They honey dries out after 1 minute, or a character can spend an action to use a piece of wet cloth to clean themselves off.

Music Box: The kobold throws a small box into space within 20' of it, which then plays a hideously loud noise. All creatures within 10' of the box must make a DC 9 constitution save or be deafened for 1 minute.

Trained Weasel: The kobold releases a weasel into an unoccupied space within 5' of it. The weasel has normal stats for a creature of it's type, with the exception of being trained in Slight of Hand (+5 bonus). On it's turn, the weasel attempts to steal a small object from one of the kobold's enemies, and return the item to the kobold who released it. The weasel runs away from the battlefield after it has successfully stolen one item, or if the kobold who released it is no longer part of the battle, either from death or by running away.

Quick Drying Goop: The kobold flings a jar filled with with a strange brown liquid. Ranged weapon attack, +4 to hit 5/20 range. Hit: The target becomes restrained for 1 minute. A character restrained by this may attempt a DC 10 strength check to free themselves.

You can also add Ball Bearings, Caltrops, Hunting Traps, and various poisons to their list of weapons, if you are so inclined.

Last edited:

There is certainly scope to change the Inventor's list up, just like the variant Hag Coven spell lists in chapter one. In particular, the Inventor makes a great template for a more powerful version, like a mad Dwarven Tinkerer that unleashes all kinds of crazy things on the players using Legendary Actions...

psychophipps

Explorer
Oh yeah, the Inventors are going to be tons o' giggles...Thanks for the great add-ons, Leatherhead!
My game I'm starting on Sunday is a reskinned Sunless Citadel set in a jungle with Kobolds and Grungs instead of Goblins/Hobgoblins. My basic Grungs will have blowguns and I'm swapping a 1/2 CR option like a basic Hobgoblin for MORE GRUNGS!

Sent from my XT1254 using EN World mobile app

The last of the Kobold entries, the Kobold Scale Sorcerer is another interesting entry, despite my slight apathy towards the race as a whole.

8a059acf9a0519f457e31b4d1c04ef25.jpg

The Scale Sorceror gets a really odd image. At first glance, you’d think that it was a type of Winged Kobold, but upon a closer look the wings are made of canvas and wood; there is no mention of them in its statblock, which rather raises the question of why the image has them. I mean, it certainly makes sense for a Kobold Sorcerer to get wings, but it doesn’t actually have wings, and showing this image to your players will immediately raise questions about them. Combine this with a rather odd pose - it is standing facing to the left, but looking at the viewer - and I’m sadly not a fan of this artwork.

The Scale Sorcerers are kind of the spiritual leaders of their race. Since Kobolds have so few clerics - their god being imprisoned by the trolling of the Gnomish one - they have to rely on the Sorcerers to fill the role. In addition, if the tribe is associated with a Dragon, then this fellow will be the intermediary between the two, giving it the rather difficult job of relaying information to the Dragon - both good and bad… In both of these roles, the Sorcerer could easily function as a roleplaying encounter for the PCs, someone that they meet and talk to, perhaps before fighting breaks out, or perhaps instead of fighting. It might be very interesting to have the players need information from a tribe of Kobolds, and so be inclined to seek them out and communicate with the Scale Sorcerer leading them, which would let you use this race in a very different manner than normally seen.

The Scale Sorcerer is rather low level for the concept - a magically empowered leader of the tribe - and this is probably the biggest problem with their statblock. We get another perfectly good spellcaster statblock, this time at CR 1, with some potent spells such as Chromatic Orb, Charm Person and Scorching Ray, and we even get a Sorcery Points ability that sounds at first like it would be very interesting. However, since they are so low level, the Scale Sorcerer doesn’t actually get any interesting command abilities, nor do the sorcery points seem to add up to much of anything. It gets three points, and can spend one to drop the verbal and somatic components of a spell, or all three to give one person disadvantage against one spell. The latter effect is interesting, until you consider that only two of its spells even have saving throws, and neither one is particularly important. Meanwhile, the only usage of the former ability that I can think of at the moment is to use it with Charm Person to infiltrate a human settlement, which is fun enough I guess, but not really something that needs to be included in the profile for a primarily combat opponent.

Overall, I’d say that the Scale Sorcerer is disappointing, and that my disappointment stems from them just being too weak to be that interesting. My uncharitable side thinks of them as a spellcaster leader that cannot lead, and only barely cast. However, thinking about it a bit more, the Scale Sorcerer is probably designed specifically as an entry that serves as the boss of a party’s very first dungeon, like the Bugbear at the start of Lost Mine of Phandelver, and so my above complaints really won’t matter since he’ll be appropriately scary for a party of level one characters.

DeBasilisk42

First Post
Love this series of posts; thanks for the awesome breakdowns!

I actually really like the scale sorcerer with two small changes. When I ran him as a mini boss for a small level group I gave him quickened spell instead of subtle spell and treated the wings as a consumable item (made by the kobolds inventor) that gives the wearer a flight speed of 30ft for 1 round as a bonus action, like the cultists from RoT had. After one use it falls apart.

I had two other un worn wing sets stashed in the sorcerers room and the party halfling ranger took them for herself!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases