D&D 5E Let's Read: Volo's Monsters

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
Making a Vargouille swarm is relatively easy going by the differences between a bat and a bat swarm. Simply up the numbers until it's whatever CR you want it to be, probably 3-5. Something like 75 hps and 40 dpr should work. Then give it the swarm damage penalty when it gets to half hp. If you are feeling particularly nasty, you can then make it's Kiss a bonus action to boot.

Anyway, the random pigyback on a demonic summons is perhaps the most useful bit of the Vargouille. Adding more meat to any encounter with demons, and providing a way for Demons to escape rituals intended to bind them.

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
I really like the idea that you can get (uncontrolled) hitchhikers when summoning/conjuring critters, particularly fiends and fey. It fits my desired DM goal of PC's creating problems for PC's to solve later.

If I have one complaint about the vargouille, (much like the dretch, mane, and lemure) it would really be nice if they made a swarm of vargouilles version to go with the singleton to challenge higher level groups with. I could just run 20 at a time, but that is a lot of tracking to do.

Ask and you shall receive, I give you the Vargouille Swarm

Continuing the theme of underwhelming monsters, the Vegepygmy is basically a less interesting Myconid.

Vegepygmy.jpg

I like the art for these guys. It’s kind of creepy and weird, without going too far into actual horror mode. The weird texture on the Thorny’s back is also neat.

Back in the Olden Times, when the world was still young, TV was in black and white, and books were carved on stone slabs, there was a module called Expedition to the Great Barrier Peaks. It was basically a ‘theme park’ dungeon; there was no rhyme or logic to the contents, just a bunch of fun and weird stuff tossed together. If you’ve ever made a dungeon without bothering to work out where the toilets are, why all the monsters are together, and how they get food and whatnot, then you’ve made something similar; but Barrier Peaks was also a bit gonzo, with Sci-Fi elements. The Vegepygmies - aka Mold Men - were, I think, inspired by Olden Times films like The Blob and Invasion of the Body Snatchers; weird alien creatures that fell from the sky and infected people. Their inclusion here is a little odd - it seems like they’d only use these guys if they updated and expanded Barrier Peaks, and in that case they could just provide their statblock there.

The Vegepygmies are, well, plant people. They are created by Russet Mold, like to eat meat, and reproduce by infecting humanoids or giants. They cannot speak common, but have a language, so magic should let the players speak to them. The book otherwise gives us essentially no hints of what Vegepygmies want or do, so you’re on your own if you want to think of something to use them for. I guess that they’ll fit decently well as a semi-random encounter in a Forest or Underdark adventure, being just a random group that your players could meet. They also often co-exist with Myconids, with whom they would presumably communicate by means of the latters’ communication spores. So that would allow you to add some colour to a Myconid settlement; these guys are more like normal humanoids - and have statblocks more useful for combat - if those are things that you want from a Myconid settlement. Otherwise, the Vegepygmies are likely to be either bad guys in the forest - killing woodsmen and reproducing from them - or just a group that the players stumble upon in the Underdark. You could certainly use them as a standard roleplaying encounter and as a quest giver, but I’d make sure that you have a plan for how the players are going to communicate with them first, since mime is not going to be everyone’s cup of tea.

There are three statblocks here: the CR 1/4 Vegepygmy, which is basically a Goblin without Nimble Escape, the CR 2 Vegepygmy Chief, and the Thorny, which is as CR 1 dog version. They all share the Vegepymy traits of Plant Camouflage and Regeneration, the latter of which is kind of annoying to have on a swarm opponent. Keeping track of which Vegepgymy has regained 3 HP a round or not seems tremendously tedious, but it is certainly a distinctive racial trait. They all have Stealth scores as well as the Plant Camouflage, so clearly some element of ambushing is implied from that. The basic Vegepygmy is, as I mentioned, a Goblin but with Regeneration instead of Bonus Action Disengage. They also have resistance to Piercing and Lightning; I can see Piercing as some sort of tough plant thing, but Lightning? The Chief is just stronger, tougher version which gets a couple attacks a round and can use a spore attack to do AoE poison to those nearby. It’s pretty interesting to have an AoE on a leader for a weak race, especially one to which the Vegepygymies are immune. Finally, the Thorny is a bit weird; it gets a rule to do extra damage when being grappled, rather than when it grapples something, and it also does not have Athletics trained. Read literally, this means that the Thorny wants to be the recipient of an enemy grapple, and then lose the contest. Strange. It does not get any kind of pounce or knockdown attack, unlike most dog-like creatures. If I were inclined to use this guy, I’d be tempted to give him Athletics training and make his Bite attack also do an opposed grapple check, since then it would be a little more interesting.

To be honest, these guys are just sort of there. I’m not very excited by them, even if their statblocks do have some interesting elements and they appear to work in a relatively unique way.

werecorpse

Adventurer
I think the desire to stick to the S3 description of the creatures (which were odd but not particularly interesting) seems to override the need to make them more interesting. Really there should be room for a few types of anthropomorphised plants but you gotta make them different and interesting, especially when they are competing in the same CR market as the vast array of humanoids. For mine these, the various blights and the myconids are all just a bit dull. They seem like they should be more interesting than they are. They all need work, until then treants and shambling mounds are my go to plant people.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
The purpose of the Regeneration ability on the Moldies is similar to the Undead Fortitude ability on a Zombie:
You can knock them down, but unless you do a specific thing, they will get back up. If you are finding the minutiae of adding +3 hp every turn to a bunch of minions to be too excessive, then ignore it until they get knocked out. At higher levels, one hit is likely to knock them out anyway.

They are also smart enough to potentially harness the power of the Russet Mold that spawned them, weaponizing it in general, and/or purposely spreading it to different areas to either expand a colony or make new one. I'm not totally underwhelmed by them, but perhaps "zombie outbreak" fatigue is generating a general meh, as it does in real life after so many horror flicks. I could see a few plot points featuring them, but not an entire adventure.

The Thorny is disappointing all over. Big enough to be a mount, but not fast enough to warrant doing so. Also, Spikes that trigger on an attack that nobody is going to bother using against them. The only option then, would be to change them. Firstly, make the spikes also trigger on any melee attack that hits them, secondly, give them some kind of ability that roots The PCs next to them. A vine or goo grapple is obvious, but an emanation of sticky spores that make the area around them into difficult terrain is also a thematic option. With changes like those, suddenly the Thorny has a purpose: A front-line roadblock for the Vegepygmies to hide behind (and a rather impressive one for the CR range), allowing them to launch their sling-stones, spears, or pots of mold with impunity from afar.

There is indeed quite a few 'Plant People' in the game now; Blights, Treants, Dryads, Vegepygmies, Myconids, Shambling Mound, and tomorrow we'll get the Wood Woad. I used the Blights in Curse of Strahd - which contains a couple bigger variants to draw on - and they were fun, but admittedly very simple. There is also a couple servants of Zugghtmoy in Out of the Abyss which can be used as higher-level versions. I think that 'plant people' is actually a surprisingly hard plot hook to make work; you can use Hobgoblins or Orcs in just about any plot that Humans could work in, i.e. all of them; but the Plant peoples all seem so... passive, that it is harder to get traction with them, plot wise.

Chaosmancer

Legend
I don't have much to say about the Veggies, but Blights are a personal favorite of mine.

I didn't know Curse of Strahd had improved versions of them, so I'll be looking that up, but when I do an adventure with Blights I tend to do a few things.

It is very "zombie plague" -esque, in that the Blights are gathering corpses to feed a growng Golthias Tree. Generally I give the tree a massive pool of hitpoints, decent armor, and just use it's actions to spawn minor Blights, making it a war of attrition.

Another thing I did was draw on some anime inspiration (Inuyasha had "The Tree with the Human Faced Fruit" which is very similiar to Golthias) and gave it a powerful servitor. The one time I got to use it, it was a simple woodsman who I gave levels of Druid, but I represented his magic and power coming from a thorny plant monster growing inside of him, so Thorn Whip was literally a limb of this creature coming out of his arm. I'm a fan of body horror, and it got the right feel for my players to start freaking out.

Another GM made it hard to actually kill the thing (in theory) by requiring the roots be burned by Blessed Oils to prevent the Tree from simply regrowing.

So, really at the core, it is a different version of the zombie or cult style adventure. What would really help is some really good stats for the Golthias, I've made stuff up a few times, but that and some more powerful Blights are all that's missing to make them a full adventures worth of trouble.

I didn't know Curse of Strahd had improved versions of them, so I'll be looking that up, but when I do an adventure with Blights I tend to do a few things.

So Curse has a full statblock for a Tree Blight, which is a CR 7 bruiser with 149HP and up to five attacks a turn. It's good fun. It also, in chapter 14 'Yester Hill' describes a Gulthias Tree; it doesn't get a statblock, but instead defensive stats, as it is envisaged that the players will fight off the defenders then try to destroy it. It has AC 15, 250HP, immunity to bludgeoning, piercing, and psychic damage. It regrows after a couple months if the right things (digging up the roots, casting a hallow spell) are not done. Nothing too controversial really, and your version is probably more powerful.

There is also Baba Lysaga's Hut, which is a walking hut (yes, really) that comes in at a mighty CR 11, and can do an amazingly huge amount of damage with 60ft melee attacks. I've used it a couple of times in combination with Baba Lysaga herself, and the hut is always much more impressive to the players. You'd need to reflavour it a bit, but ultimately it is an angry tree.

You can have an NPC that the party likes be infested by one of these, doomed to turn into one if they cannot prevent it. It requires so many conditions, though - no remove curse spell available, no sunlight to prevent the transformation - that I think you’d really only manage to make it tense if the party had that quest at a very low level, or were already totally out of resources when they met the victim, and it was already night time. I think that this will work if you really want it to, but don’t be surprised if the party can instantly stop the transformation and thus remove any tension from the Vargouille’s presence.

I'm AFB so I can't check on the other conditions (doesn't sunlight just delay the transformation?) but I have to say, I don't think Remove Curse is an easy condition to fulfill. Of the four classes that can cast Remove Curse in 5E (cleric, paladin, warlock, wizard), two of them (warlock and wizard) have a limited spell list with lots of pressure on it (Hypnotic Pattern, Fireball, etc.) and I can honestly say I've never seen a member of either class select Remove Curse as one of their spells known, in 5E. Another of the four (paladin) only gets Remove Curse at 9th level. That means that for a party composed of 1st through 8th level PCs, the only feasible way to Remove Curse is if you happen to have a 5th+ cleric in your party. Bards, druids, and paladins don't cut it here.

I'd guesstimate that a good 60% of PC parties would find a Vargouille curse a challenging thing to stop. Maybe they try to keep the victim in sunlight as much as possible while the wizard hurriedly researches Remove Curse over the course of three to four weeks. (AFB, but does the curse even take three weeks to kick in?) Or maybe they have to go looking for a treasure with a Remove Curse scroll.

Remove ads