• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Level 10 Character Ideas

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Be the (piss-poor, slapdash, imitation) "Warlord": War Cleric 2/Mastermind 3/Bard 5

Or be The Critter: High Half-Elf (Booming Blade) Barbarian 2 (Reckless Attack)/Assassin Rogue 4 (Elven Accuracy)/Champion Fighter 3 (Improved Critical)/Assassin Rogue 5

akr71

Hero
Thanks for all the suggestions. I really want to try something I wouldn't normally play - that is a tank or sneak.

I've moved past the Arcane Archer idea I think. I put one together as an NPC for the group I DM for, so I'll get to scratch that itch eventually.

I'm thinking a hobgoblin wizard. I'd like to go necromancy, but I can't make him so unlikable no one will want to travel with him. I'll have to look over warlock again too.

aco175

Legend
If it is Tomb of Horrors, just have fun and try to help the DM have a good game and fun for all.

I'd play a thief though. I always like the half damage ability at level 5.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Be a caster! You get to skip all the levels of not having enough spells. Really any caster will do!

If you want mechanical multiclassing tricks I would be a sorcerer warlock and use a melee weapon! It sounds really fun to me to constantly cast darkness and be able to see through it. (Sorceror is desired to be able to do so as a bonus action at least a few times a day).

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Have you considered being the Highest Elf?

High-Elf Divination Wizard with proficiency in the use of a Herbalism kit.

akr71

Hero
Thanks for all the suggestions. I really want to try something I wouldn't normally play - that is a tank or sneak.
I'm thinking a hobgoblin wizard. I'd like to go necromancy, but I can't make him so unlikable no one will want to travel with him. I'll have to look over warlock again too.

Poor choice of words. I meant I wanna stay away from sneaky types (rogues, rangers) & tanks (fighters, barbarians, paladins) because that is what I usually go for. I need to step outside my comfort zone...

So, Hobgoblin Wizard (Evocation) is where I settled. The only thing I have left to figure out is the level 8 ASI/Feat.

ThunderDM

Banned
Banned
I'd create the BLACK NETWORK ASSET
A skilled assassin rogue who works for the Zhents but only shows up when things really go bad
He appears behind the commander of a Zhent outpost and is like "I'm here to fix what you screwed up, get your thumbs out of your asses"
And he gives long monologues when he kills nights, saying things like "You learn how to fight from some old man in a castle?" then he kicks dust in the dudes eyes and hamstrings him or something, I dunno
And he analyzes the art of his enemies to learn their weakness
And he's really into caligraphy

On second thought that's terrible but I type it all out already

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I would make a gish of some kind - always wanted to play one, never got the chance, but they need a few levels to really get going. Either EK or look up that new hexblade thing.

... I have to admit that Elric of Melnibone is a bit of an inspiration... and you can't have a character like that at low level :p

For your wizard... have you considered taking a single level of fighter as a multiclass? As much for the RP aspect than the in-game benefits...

Last edited:

n0nym

Explorer
I think I would go for the gish too. Eldritch Knight 7 / Abjurer 3+ might be some really good fun. Like Ancalagon I never played one because at low levels it kinda sucks.

At level 10 you get 3rd level slots to cast 2nd level spells. Then at level 12 you get Haste and stronger cantrips, which allows you to make 3 attacks including one with Booming Blade.

Great damage, tankiness AND utility since he's also a wizard.

Remove ads