Level Up (A5E) Level Up A5E vs. WotC 5E...?

GothmogIV

Explorer
Greeting friends. I don't know much about Level Up A5E, but @SlyFlourish loves it, and has talked about it such glowing terms that now I'm curious. My question is this: are the characters as buffed in A5E as they are in WotC5E? I have found that PCs in Tiers 1&2 are basically superheroes by level 5. That's not a slam or a criticism; I get that's just how the game now is. Does A5E keep that same vibe, or are PCs less (or...gods help us, more) powerful? Any insights would be most welcome. Not trying to start an argument!

Distracted DM

Distracted DM
Supporter
I've been running a5e for many months now, several different games weekly. I'd be happy to answer questions.

Characters' power level is similar, as A5E is meant to be compatible with 5e. Some classes are perceived as weaker, some as stronger- all are more flexible, partially because of a great degree of character options.

HOWEVER many spells have been tweaked/balanced- more often "weaker" than not; the big "guaranteed choices" like Fireball and Spirit Guardians have been depowered a tad to make them not clearly better than other spells of their level.

IIRC someone recommended that if you were to use 5e monsters against a5e characters to raise their AC by 1. This is in part, I imagine, because of the Expertise die that allows higher rolls.

GothmogIV

Explorer
In what way is it more flexible? (and thanks to all for the insights)

(Any good Youtube vid. that goes over the basics would be much appreciated, too!)

Remove ads