Playtest (A5E) Level Up Playtest Document #3: Rogue

Welcome to the third Level Up playtest document. This playtest contains a candidate for the first 10 levels of game’s rogue class.

o.l.d page 140.jpg

You will also need to refer to the previous fighter playtest document for information on Traditions and Maneuvers, as we haven’t repeated that information in this document.

Download the playtest document

Are you ready to level up your 5E game? Welcome to Level Up, the standalone 'advanced 5E' backwards compatible tabletop RPG coming in 2021!

A crunchier, more flexible version of the 5E ruleset which you know and love. If you love 5E but would like a little more depth to the ruleset, Level Up is the game for you!

What this is
This is a playtest document. We’d love you to try out the rules presented here, and then answer the follow-up survey in a few days.

What this is not
This is NOT the final game. It’s OK if you don’t like elements of these rules; that’s the purpose of a playtest document. Be sure to participate in the follow-up survey in a few days. All data, positive or negative is useful.

What we use this for
Your survey responses help form the direction of the game as it goes through the development process.

Don’t forget!
Sign up for the mailing list for notifications of playtests, surveys, and news, and to make sure you get notified on Kickstarter when the project launches in 2021.

Continue reading...

Last edited:

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
This stacks in unfortunate ways with the similar fighting style. It should grant that fighting style.

Bah, no fire traps or poison needles?

I see the balance reason; but a time limit (for the next hour) could be useful.

Meh on the stacking. I wonder if we can tie to to advantage, like "when your two attack dice on advantage are within 1 point of each other". That would tie into the rogue advantage-sneak-attack thing and avoid the awkward stacking and add a fun minigame.

The other thing you could consider is adding a reaction attack to the Rogue. In order for the Rogue to keep up with a charop character, they have to pick up a way to make a sneak attack on their turn and as a reaction.
There are quite a few ways for rogues to get a reaction attack added. For example... Quickdraw, painful pickpocket, speed over strength, & based on the name maybe painful pickpocket if they clear up the function. The maneuvers rogues get access to are in the fighter playtest packet & quite a few give a reaction attack or even better, I covered them over here to save time :D There is also references to chapters we don't have i improved trapsmith that likely covers stuff like the very poison needle you mention in reference to the base trapsmith wording ;)

NotAYakk

Legend
There are quite a few ways for rogues to get a reaction attack added. For example... Quickdraw, painful pickpocket, speed over strength, & based on the name maybe painful pickpocket if they clear up the function. The maneuvers rogues get access to are in the fighter playtest packet & quite a few give a reaction attack or even better, I covered them over here to save time :D There is also references to chapters we don't have i improved trapsmith that likely covers stuff like the very poison needle you mention in reference to the base trapsmith wording ;)
Ah, sorry, I didn't think of Maneuvers.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
in the destiny test packet there is a metamrphosis option & rogues do so well from it that it almost becomes a mandatory build option due to multiattack alone yet just one of many solid options for the other classes. Gnoll fleshgnawer(cr1) from volos & hybrid flier(CR2) from ggtr are some of the most impressive mundane humanoids but are far from the most impressive of "I'm gonna start taking rogue levels after the first couple sessions" options available to rogues who want to specialize in specific areas. In the past rogue gained a second & third attack at 7 & 13, it might be worth considering if something similar should be added back in for rogue

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases