Level Up (A5E) Level Up's Downtime activities

We have a lot of downtime activities available in the advanced edition of 5E. Crafting, information gathering, recovery, religious devotion, research, spell craft, training, and work. Here's a look at a couple of pages in this chapter. https://www.levelup5e.com

We have a lot of downtime activities available in the advanced edition of 5E. Crafting, information gathering, recovery, religious devotion, research, spell craft, training, and work. Here's a look at a couple of pages in this chapter.

Screen Shot 2021-06-06 at 11.35.10 PM.png

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
can certainly help. But that still means a normal craftsman would need "some of the best tools in the world" to make a simple sailboat consistently. There of course maybe other rules I am missing, but at the glance DC 18 just seems much too high for anything with the word "simple" in it.
It almost sounds like you are suggesting that a skilled tradesperson will be using quality tools made for people who make their living at that trade rather than the cheap good enough ones someone might buy to maintain their personal thing or dabble around as a hobby. There are reasons why brands like MAC tools, Snap on tools, & so on are used so heavily in certain trades over far less expensive off brand tools.

Someone already mentioned it, but those professionals almost certainly benefit from various bonuses & such by working as a team & such too

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
To put it another way, if I think of a craftsman who is solidly competent.

I imagine prof and expertise, so +4. Considering +3 prof bonuses aren’t available until 5th level (aka rare and special), that’s our ceiling.

ability wise…I would allow for a +1…which is already above the curve (aka this person isn’t just skilled they are naturally talented…which is already a bit much for our standard competent craftsman but let’s allow it).

so that’s a +5, so DC 15 with take 10. So we need to respect that to craft dc 15 goods and expect to succeed at your craft, you need to be highly trained and naturally talented.

so how about a crafting master? For that a +3 x2 for expertise makes sense, so +6. Now…I would still argue most masters would have a +1 ability…but I’ll stretch it to a +2. This means to be a master requires lots of expertise AND to be very very gifted. It’s easy for PCs to forget how rare 14s in a stat should be if we consider the standard population.

So that’s a +8, or DC 18 take 10. So a “simple” sailboat is something that only master boatbuilders would make, standard boatbuilders would do it as a special project to enhance their craft…but would assume failure the majority of the time. That does not feel right to me.

Now DC 20 for exceptional items works for me. That’s something a master would struggle with, fail at a few times, and then succeed. Basically a true masterpiece.

to make those regularly (aka +10), would require very high level skill or insane natural talent. That’s your once in a generation craftsman…or a PC :)

But that’s bounded accuracy for you, realistically most things should get +1 - +3 ranges of difficulty, as +5 represents a HUGE increase in difficulty.
I think those numbers assume PC use. Many games have a disconnect between how PCs interact with the world and how everyone else does. It's also possible that there are bonuses one can get to the roll that we are as yet unaware of.

Darkwynters

Explorer
So are buying magic items up to the DM. Meaning: adventurers go to the weapon shop and the DM tells them what is there and how much. O5e has the downtime rules for buy items… what is LevelUp’s idea?

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Backing the kickstarter does not give access to the rules… right? Or did I miss something when I back it???!
the kickstarter needs to end before you get charged. You get the rules soon after & I don't remember specifics but think it was within a couple days matbe sooner depending on how you backed (direct or addon)

Darkwynters

Explorer
Wait… so if my gamers tossed in more coin… we could have the Adventures Guide and other books… before the month Kickstarter is over???

Ah, you mean after the kickstarter… so even though I backed it… I have to wait until the first week of November.

VanguardHero

Adventurer
Wait… so if my gamers tossed in more coin… we could have the Adventures Guide and other books… before the month Kickstarter is over???

Ah, you mean after the kickstarter… so even though I backed it… I have to wait until the first week of November.
Exactly, because of how Kickstarter works, until it ends, you haven't paid for anything.

Remove ads

Remove ads