Lightsaber duel turns deadly

reveal

Adventurer
Mystery Man said:
The term "redneck" originated in England a couple centuries ago did it not?

From http://www.wordorigins.org/wordorr.htm

Redneck

Redneck dates to 1830, when it was first used to denote the Presbyterians of Fayetteville, Georgia. But it wasn't until 1893 that the term was used in the modern sense of a poor, white farmer or laborer. The significance of the name is somewhat obscure. Three explanations are commonly offered. First, it could be a reference to a ruddy neck caused by anger. Second, it could be a reference to sunburned necks caused by working in the fields all day. Finally, it could be a reference to pellagra which turns the neck red. The original reference to Presbyterians may be to poor, Scotch-Irish farmers that was later expanded to a larger economic class.

There is also a tale in which it referred to striking coal miners who wore red bandannas as a means of group identification. This is unlikely due to what we know of its origin. The sunburn or pellagra explanation seems more likely than the anger one.

Interestingly, the Afrikaans Rooinek, which literally means redneck, is a disparaging term the Boers used to apply to the British and later became associated with any European immigrant to South Africa.

(Sources: Oxford English Dictionary, 2nd Edition; American Speech, Vol. 76, No. 4, Winter 2001)

Fate Lawson

First Post
Darth K'Trava said:
As honorary mentions... they can't get the full Award unless they die of their injuries.

Not true. You can survive and still get the award. But your injuries have to insure that you can no longer procreate and the genetic chain ends with you.

And the Winner of the 2004 Darwin Award Championship is Hector Sanchez. Based on a bet by the other members of his golfing threesome, Hector tried to wash his own testicles in a ball washer at the local golf course. Proving once again that beer and testosterone are just a bad mix. Sanchez actually managed to get up and straddle the ball washer machine near the Tee-box, and dangle his scrotum in the machine. Much to his dismay, one of his buddies upped the ante by quickly spinning the crank on the machine with Sanchez's scrotum in place, thus wedging them solidly in the mechanism. Sanchez, who immediately passed his threshold of pain, collapsed and tumbled from his perch. Unfortunately for Sanchez, the post of the ball washer was more than strong enough to support his body weight, and his scrotum sack was the weakest link. Sanchez's scrotum was ripped open during the fall, and one testicle was plucked from him forever and remained in the ball washer, while the other testicle was compressed and flattened as it was pulled between the housing of the washer, and the rotating machinery inside. To add insult to injury, Sanchez then broke a new $300.00 graphite shaft driver that he had just purchased from the pro shop, and was attempting to use as a cane and walk back to his cart to seek medical assistance. Sanchez was rushed to the hospital for surgery, and the remaining threesome was asked to leave the course. This last candidate wouldn't normally count, because the golfer didn't die. But because he cannot reproduce as a result of his qualifying act of stupidity, so they have allowed it. And he wins this year's contest! Obviously, a word to the wise is stay away from the golf ball washer machine when you're with beer drinking buddies!

Last edited:

Kemrain

First Post
Apparently the names have not been changed to protect the stupid. I'd hate to be that guy, junk injury aside. Of all the things you could become famous for...

- Kemrain the Anonymous.

the Jester

Legend
Yeah, I try to keep my dumb stoopid moves to those that don't involve things that might kill me.

As an example, I wouldn't lightsaber duel my friends with running chainsaws either.

Darth K'Trava

First Post
Fate Lawson said:
Not true. You can survive and still get the award. But your injuries have to insure that you can no longer procreate and the genetic chain ends with you.

Is there any way to prove this aspect of the requirements for the Award? I don't think they burned their "goodies" off...

Remove ads