D&D 5E Likelihood of getting an Isle of Dread remake or a full Feywild/Shadowfell campaign guide?

Chronos96

Explorer
Hi! First time posting here.

So, ever since I discovered D&D I've always liked the idea of the of the Feywild and the Shadowfell; Heroes of the Feywild and Shadow were two of my favorite books from 4th edition and were great products. However, I can't help but feel like both the Feywild and Shadowfell could be expanded on. I know that some people prefer to make their own content but I'd really like for the blank spots on the map to be painted in so to speak.

Personally, I'd love a book or books detailing both the Feywild and the Shadowfell with maps detailing the major landmarks for both. It seems like a waste to not expand what can be expanded. Again, I realize that some people prefer to make their own stuff but I really enjoy having a template that goes beyond just a general description.

I know that for 5th Ed Perkins and Mearls have expressed that they want to make products that everyone can use instead of products that only a few people will use and while I agree with that sentiment if 5th ed lasts even five more years at a rate of 3-4 books a year then eventually there's going to be a point where nobody is going to reasonably be able to run every adventure or product

I've really enjoyed the production value of 5th Ed and while I don't necessarily want a release every quarter I do feel like maybe Wizards should at least expand the team again to allow them to cover more ground.

ArchfiendBobbie

First Post
It's possible, but if such a product is released, you can bet it'll be part of a campaign path. Something people are far more likely to use, like how Chult is more heavily detailed in Tomb of Annihilation.

Chronos96

Explorer
Right, I just feel that after a certain point they'll have to release campaign settings/sandboxes. I really enjoyed Tomb of Annihilation but I don't always want to run a full adventure/campaign.

True, I can cherry pick what I want but I just feel that by having a campaign setting would let players go where they want to. I realize that there's old material for people to use but I'd just prefer to be able to say turn to a page about Baldur's gate and then come up with a reason for the players to go there.

darjr

I crit!
You could still do that. Murder in Baldurs Gate has a setting book within the adventure. And the HC adventures combined with the dmsguild is like a giant collection of sandbox forgotten realms stuff.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Right, I just feel that after a certain point they'll have to release campaign settings/sandboxes. I really enjoyed Tomb of Annihilation but I don't always want to run a full adventure/campaign.

True, I can cherry pick what I want but I just feel that by having a campaign setting would let players go where they want to. I realize that there's old material for people to use but I'd just prefer to be able to say turn to a page about Baldur's gate and then come up with a reason for the players to go there.
Well, based on what WotC has been saying, they are very much tying campaign setting material to APs for the foreseeable future.

A Feywild AP sooner or later is quite likely, and has been hinted at. Isle of Dread is a definite candidate for a Curse of Strahd treatment, but probably not too soon after ToA. Strahd is arguably already a Shadowfell AP, but I wouldn't be surprised to see another eventually.

Actual, traditional campaign settings seem to not be on the radar, though they have something cooking this year.

Sent from my [device_name] using EN World mobile app

Inchoroi

Adventurer
I did Isle of Dread in 5e last year, was a blast; I ended up building it up a lot, and changing a few things about the eventual end-boss and such.

Chronos96

Explorer
True, but with the Isle of Dread being in the Feywild (At least in 4th ed) I feel like that would just be a logical next step. I do get where you're coming from with ToA but just look at locations in real life.

The beaches in Mexico have a completely different feel than the beaches in Hawaii. I feel like they're going for different feelings of adventures ToA is very much about exploration but with the Isle being in the Plane of Water in 5th ed they could also do a planar adventure or focus on the mystery aspect with the island appearing randomly.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
True, but with the Isle of Dread being in the Feywild (At least in 4th ed) I feel like that would just be a logical next step. I do get where you're coming from with ToA but just look at locations in real life.

The beaches in Mexico have a completely different feel than the beaches in Hawaii. I feel like they're going for different feelings of adventures ToA is very much about exploration but with the Isle being in the Plane of Water in 5th ed they could also do a planar adventure or focus on the mystery aspect with the island appearing randomly.
Nope, re-read the 5E DMG: Isle of Dread is in the Elemental Plane of Water, shifts in and out of the Material Prime. No Feywild connection.

And while you are right that they can certainly explore the jungle hex crawl again, chances are other campaign genres will get attention first.

Sent from my [device_name] using EN World mobile app

Remove ads