• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Likelihood of getting an Isle of Dread remake or a full Feywild/Shadowfell campaign guide?

Chronos96

Explorer
I said it was in the plane of water for 5th ed.

but with the Isle being in the Plane of Water in 5th ed they could also do a planar adventure or focus on the mystery aspect with the island appearing randomly.

Also, I think you may be missing my point. I'm not so much talking about the hex crawl style of adventures as I am different tones like horror or wuxia. What I'm saying is that you can have two settings that are the same, in this case, a jungle and they could feel completely different.

A better example might be NYC and LA they're both cities but they both have a completely different feeling/culture to them.

Last edited:

Pauln6

Hero
I play a shadow mage (a patched Warlock with mix and match features from the fiendish and Fey) and it's frustratingly conspicuous that shadow magic has very little coverage to date. I took a look at the shadow sorcerer but while the class features are fine, the limited spell choice has insufficient shadow flavour.

One might assume that they are keeping shadow magic in reserve for a Shadowfell source book but if they are, I wish they'd hurry up!

Chronos96

Explorer
shadowfell.jpg

This image from the DMG makes me dream for a Shadowfell adventure, not just Curse of Strahd.

Sacrosanct

Legend
True, but with the Isle of Dread being in the Feywild (At least in 4th ed) I feel like that would just be a logical next step. I do get where you're coming from with ToA but just look at locations in real life.

The beaches in Mexico have a completely different feel than the beaches in Hawaii. I feel like they're going for different feelings of adventures ToA is very much about exploration but with the Isle being in the Plane of Water in 5th ed they could also do a planar adventure or focus on the mystery aspect with the island appearing randomly.

Well, they are still beaches. Why would they do another beach when they still haven't done a desert yet? And when you're talking about Isle of Dread, you can't look at it through only a 4e lens. The isle has a long history of being "very much about exploration". In fact, ToA seems to me as a direct nod to Isle of Dread (when it was most well known and famous--B/X). Just because 4e did it differently doesn't mean it overrides all of the other editions. It's for this reason why I don't see them doing it. I'm sure they can do something else that is very fey heavy. But honestly, I think they'll do something for Ebberon, Planescape, and Darksun before they do another jungle island adventure.

Last edited:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Well, they are still beaches. Why would they do another beach when they still haven't done a desert yet? And when you're talking about Isle of Dread, you can't look at it through only a 4e lens. The isle has a long history of being "very much about exploration". In fact, ToA seems to me as a direct nod to Isle of Dread (when it was most well known and famous--AD&D). Just because 4e did it differently doesn't mean it overrides all of the other editions. It's for this reason why I don't see them doing it. I'm sure they can do something else that is very fey heavy. But honestly, I think they'll do something for Ebberon, Planescape, and Darksun before they do another jungle island adventure.
What I could see is maybe an "Inner Planes" AP that used the Isle of Despair as part of a trek involving the City of Brass, the Wind Duke of Aaqa and/or whatever Dao have going on.

The map of the Elemental Chaos from the 5E DMG just screams for an Elemental Odyssey to me...

Sent from my [device_name] using EN World mobile app

Remove ads