Limited Polymorph

Bonedagger

First Post
First. If this has been suggested before don't flame me. :rolleyes:

Now. This is a question about how to interpretate the "can" in polymorphspells :).

I always found them to be stupidly unbalanced if only your imagination was the limit to which form you could chose. Polymorphing somebody into a fish etc. An instant kill spell (You can already do so much else with them). So I want to try and read the "can" in the spelldescriptions a little different.

The new way to read it:

Each form requires some research (Time spend in the presence of the creature you want to master the shape of). Normally a standard polymorphspell contains a few different forms (Dog, Eagle, Goblin etc.). Other versions of the spell exist that will allow you to master rare forms. These need to be bought, found or researched.

This way a polymorph spell could also be a signature. The Wizard who master the form of the Griff. Or the Sorcerer who who is knowen as "Little mice".

This would not only bring some flawer to magic but would also make that "Green Dragon Form" a rare treasure.

So what do you think?

Last edited:

Sounds like an interesting concept, but perhaps then make polymorph its own series like summon monster, obviously polymorph to a mouse would not be the same as polymorph to a dragon? Perhaps allow ex abilities to be mantained, perhaps even Su since its so limited?

Bonedagger

First Post
What? Nobody besides me think this is a cool idea. Nobody even cares? :(

Maybe It's the wrong forum? Not sure.. It's not a question.. I wouldn't call it homemade... Oh well.

Guess I just have to agree with myself then and say that this is a good balance to the spell.... :p

Bonedagger

First Post
Oh.. We must have posted at the same time:D

I dunno. The spells already have a long durations. Can give natural attacks, good disguise and special movement... + Healing when you change form.

You would not need to memorize the polymorph-spells seperatly. As soon as you know a recepy you can chose it when you cast the spell. So it would be kind of like having the spell improve over time.

Last edited:

Even then I believe that the spell would be hard to give a level for exactly, if 2 level 7 wizards know different versions, one turns into a dog, the other one turns into a lion or something. I don't know if you could call some versions of this spell 4th level really, and the version that you present would probably be used more by mid-higher level mages unless they would get lucky with the version they got...Oh well, just my 2 copper :)

Bonedagger

First Post
Sollir Furryfoot said:
Even then I believe that the spell would be hard to give a level for exactly, if 2 level 7 wizards know different versions, one turns into a dog, the other one turns into a lion or something. I don't know if you could call some versions of this spell 4th level really, and the version that you present would probably be used more by mid-higher level mages unless they would get lucky with the version they got...Oh well, just my 2 copper :)

Ahhh.. But isn't that the same if one of the two wizards knew Scrying and the other Summon Monster IV ?

The one with the dog version would have a great disguise/spy spell. While the other would have a combat spell.

One of the thing I like about it is that feeling that your spellcaster is uniq. Not only in background but also in magical skills.....

I don't really expect people to use it. Just wanted to share the idea I guess:)

Last edited:

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
This should seriously be done.

I could see a host of morphic spells. Spells that turn you into a specific creature, instead of letting you choose. Spells that do the same to foes.

Thus, you have the classic witch who can turn enemies into toads -- but not her friends into bugbears, for the rockin' STR.

As it is, Polymophing is a bit *too* multi-purpose for my tastes. I like the idea, but something like that should be pretty friggin' poweful, methinks. It's a great spell for what it is, and it's just *extremely* versatile. I prefer a more personalized morphing. Not polymorphing, just....singular, unimorphing, into one type of thing.

The Traveler

First Post
Maybe just require ranks in an appropriate Knowledge skill. Mundane animals would be rather simple, Monsters would require either research or tutoring from someone who knows of them, demonics and celestials would require demonology or planar knowledge, etc.

Bonedagger

First Post
The Traveler said:
Maybe just require ranks in an appropriate Knowledge skill. Mundane animals would be rather simple, Monsters would require either research or tutoring from someone who knows of them, demonics and celestials would require demonology or planar knowledge, etc.

I think it would make the spell to weak if you had to spend any knowledge skills in order to make it work. Then I would prefer to keep it as a part of the magical research. Knowing about a creature and knowing how to become a creature might also be two different things.

Maybe for a succesful Polymorph, you need a material component of the thing you want to polymporh into. (It is difficult to take a troll with you :) )

I am not sure if there is any easy solution for this...

Mustrum Ridcully

Remove ads