Critical Role Linda Codega interviews Critical Role on Fandom, Rumors and the Open DnD Movement

OB1

Jedi Master
I think one of the interesting things about CRs response is the separation of independent developers and open gaming. They strongly support independent developers in the RPG space, and talk about many methods for indies to get their content out there. I don't think this is just semantics around what they (possibly) can or can't say about WotC and the OGL given their contractual ties.

Also, would love to see C4 of CR be a Sci-Fi/Horror RPG set in a VERY changed Exandria, maybe 10,000 years after the events of C3, that uses their own system :)

Haplo781

Legend
Screenshot_20230126-113204.png

overgeeked

B/X Known World
That was a good interview. About 2/3 of it on the cutting room floor, though. Still not sure about the “future proofing” comment Linda made. That didn’t seem to make it into the video.

I like that Matt and Marisha are talking up playing new games, new genres, and the near future. That’s awesome.

Destroy Exandria as we know it in the next few dozen episodes of C3, get out from under the D&D Beyond sponsorship, and launch into a new game with a new genre. I wonder what horror game they’d play. They already did a Call of Cthulhu one-shot and Ashley’s not-Aliens horror/sci-fi one-shot.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
Also, would love to see C4 of CR be a Sci-Fi/Horror RPG set in a VERY changed Exandria, maybe 10,000 years after the events of C3, that uses their own system :)

Destroy Exandria as we know it in the next few dozen episodes of C3, get out from under the D&D Beyond sponsorship, and launch into a new game with a new genre. I wonder what horror game they’d play. They already did a Call of Cthulhu one-shot and Ashley’s not-Aliens horror/sci-fi one-shot.
I cannot fathom Critical Role putting at risk their massive Prime Video contracts in order to keep a minority of their fans happy. Whenever they play non-D&D the viewership plummets.

OB1

Jedi Master
That was a good interview. About 2/3 of it on the cutting room floor, though. Still not sure about the “future proofing” comment Linda made. That didn’t seem to make it into the video.

I like that Matt and Marisha are talking up playing new games, new genres, and the near future. That’s awesome.

I imagine that if they switch from D&D for their main campaign, it would be to use their own system. They'll keep promoting other systems in one-shots and with ads in their stream, but I couldn't imagine them moving from D&D to play someone else's system full time. Their interest is in promoting independent publishers, not open gaming (at least that's what I get out of their statements).

OB1

Jedi Master
I cannot fathom Critical Role putting at risk their massive Prime Video contracts in order to keep a minority of their fans happy. Whenever they play non-D&D the viewership plummets.
Hmmm, but is that because of the system or because it's not the main storyline? And I definitely don't think they'll leave D&D due to the OGL controversy, I think they'll do it if they feel it furthers their own business to do so, similar to why they revised their Fan Content policy and didn't release material from Tal'Dorei revisited to the OGL commons as they grew.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
Hmmm, but is that because of the system or because it's not the main storyline? And I definitely don't think they'll leave D&D due to the OGL controversy, I think they'll do it if they feel it furthers their own business to do so, similar to why they revised their Fan Content policy and didn't release material from Tal'Dorei revisited to the OGL commons as they grew.
Compare viewership of non main D&D stuff to the non D&D. I'm fairly certain that Aabria's campaign is their best non main cast show

Remove ads