List of monsters confirmed in Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes

I like they were getting the Demon types associated with certain Demon Lords. Such as:
Armanite = Grazz't
Alkilith = Jubilex
Maurezhi = Orcus
Bulezau = Baphomet

gyor

Legend
Watching video of the book, one of my favourite parts was the Elder Evils section right after the Star Spawn, with templates for various cults like Haask of Hargut and Atropus, both personal favourites of mine. Haask was a Doppelganger Batchari Lord who later ruled over a Minatuar Kingdom when during a war he summoned Hargut from the Grey Wastes.

Bane, Bhaal, and Mykul got ahold of him and Hargut and fused Haask to Hargut.

Atropus was an undead world that preyed upon other worlds. Last time I looked at Atropus it was trying to eat Gylph, a world in Realm space ruled by Mindflayets with jelly like oceans.

I don't think those races are exclusive to any demon lord, I know of one Maurezhi that served Grazzt.

They are not exclusive. But they were created by those Demon Lords.

Anyway we seem to get a power balance among the Demon Lords and Devils. Dukes are weaker then Demon Lords on average, while Archdukes are stronger on average.

GarrettKP

Explorer
So I didn’t immediately recognize some of the Archdevils, but I found them now.

Bael is the first Archdevil. He is a chief Lieutenant of Mammon and detailed in the original Monster Manual 2.

Titivilus is also in it, and he is Dispaters nuncio. Also from the Monster Manual 2.

Finally Hutijin is an Archdevil in service to Mephistopheles. He also is from the Monster Manual 2. (I sense a pattern).

Then we have the 3 we know, Moloch, Geryon, and Zariel.

So I didn’t immediately recognize some of the Archdevils, but I found them now.

Bael is the first Archdevil. He is a chief Lieutenant of Mammon and detailed in the original Monster Manual 2.

Titivilus is also in it, and he is Dispaters nuncio. Also from the Monster Manual 2.

Finally Hutijin is an Archdevil in service to Mephistopheles. He also is from the Monster Manual 2. (I sense a pattern).

Then we have the 3 we know, Moloch, Geryon, and Zariel.

Moloch is also from the Monster Manual 2. I think Geryon is the only Archdevil from the MM 1.

Li Shenron

Legend
Sounds strange to feature the Blood War as a main chapter, but only the leaders of one side of it. It's like "Mordenkainen's Incomplete Tome of Foes". I know design work is expensive, but in terms of space the Lot9 could have fitted in place of the gnomes and halflings fluff, two races who aren't even much foes of anyone.

Sounds strange to feature the Blood War as a main chapter, but only the leaders of one side of it. It's like "Mordenkainen's Incomplete Tome of Foes". I know design work is expensive, but in terms of space the Lot9 could have fitted in place of the gnomes and halflings fluff, two races who aren't even much foes of anyone.

What do you mean we get both Archdevils and Demon Lords in this book.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member

There are both devil and demon archfiends in the book.

There are both devil and demon archfiends in the book.

Yes, but we've got the top leaders of the demons, and only the second tier leaders of the devils. There is a lack of equivalency.

I'm sure there is a devil themed adventure coming up at some point--they gave them just as much attention in the MM and the DMG as they did the demons. They may have given us lesser archdevils in this book because the Lords of the Nine are slated for the adventure.

Remove ads