D&D 4E List of Potential New Martial Practices

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Oath of Independence / Riddle of Steel

Mind over Matter: Oath of Independence / Riddle of Steel --Athletics / Endurance --->Disenchant (At the finale of the this practice you climatically destroy a magic item you can grasp turning it into a chunks and bits all metal splintering to uselessness - the items cost or portion of it are gained in karma, it can be hard to safely donate a magic weapon to charity. Not all items can be destroyed thus such as artifacts or special items at the DMs discretion A sequestering is an alternative where an item too powerful to destroy can be abandoned in some extremely difficult to reach and secret location.

An oath of independence is performed by many martial artists to assert and re-affirm the riddle of steel (that the hero is mightier than his weaponry).

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Need more high level practices basically mid paragon through epic, this is probablly my fault for playing mostly heroic
... and also diverse skill based ones .Bluff? Diplomacy? etc

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Epic rocky-esque training montage? I kid, I kid.

OK you are not going to believe this.... there is a level 22 ritual from Dragon Magazine 430 that lets one retrain for a really large healing surge cost plus .... called Cross World Self.

ummmm yeh Epic Training Montage is entirely a possibility and its an epic practice. /// Trope Training From Hell

I think I need an encouragement for doing this as a level up activity since the trope is supposed to be about getting better (not just different)

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
21 of the 33 martial practices I have some version in Character Builder *though not exactly finished ->but just like Abdul my ideas are a bit ahead of my implementation, grumble.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
So here is what I have currently for Animal Tongues
AnimalTongues.png

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
One practice on my list which probably needs some nailing down I think it was Abduls idea

Peerless Tracker, it will enable travel to a specified target you have in your sights (ie a track of), it could well include reducing of party resource usage when travelling in the wild (since you can find game in an unerring fashion as well) and maybe allow taking short cuts to speed up the travelling to the tracked destination. It includes perfect evasion of encounters enroute as well.

One practice on my list which probably needs some nailing down I think it was Abduls idea

Peerless Tracker, it will enable travel to a specified target you have in your sights (ie a track of), it could well include reducing of party resource usage when travelling in the wild (since you can find game in an unerring fashion as well) and maybe allow taking short cuts to speed up the travelling to the tracked destination. It includes perfect evasion of encounters enroute as well.

Yeah, its one of those wilderness skills you can find a LOT of narrative leeway to use. Turn many a Nature check into Perception, good stuff....

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Yeah, its one of those wilderness skills you can find a LOT of narrative leeway to use. Turn many a Nature check into Perception, good stuff....

I am thinking about the level of it at the moment... level 8 is teleport to a big city / teleportation network site ... no need for resource use at all on the way except in the ritual itself and sometimes that instantly there part is advantageous. But you arent going to hunt an enemy that way except if you know they are bound to that destination due to some explicit clue. It seems better than many level 6 ones I think a level 7 will work for it.

thanson02

Explorer
It is interesting where you are taking Martial Practices. I know i had to do some real reflecting on when i would want to use them in my games before they finally clicked. I guess I see them as a filler for low magic games, where rituals are a rare thing to see and I don't mind cherry picking rituals that seem like they could be Martial Practices and reskin them with some slight alterations.

I liked the idea of prepared actions with Martial Practices. That is something that is new, I think..........

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
It is interesting where you are taking Martial Practices. I know i had to do some real reflecting on when i would want to use them in my games before they finally clicked. I guess I see them as a filler for low magic games, where rituals are a rare thing to see and I don't mind cherry picking rituals that seem like they could be Martial Practices and reskin them with some slight alterations.
I find that many I am designing can up the legendary and mythic feel of martial making it feel higher magic in some sense ;)

And some of these are indeed reflavorings AND some aren't like enabling reuse of an item or GMT daily. Some I hope will not feel like reflavorings but have underlying function akin to rituals.

Plus there are the Martial Techniques and other capabilities enabled with Karma Points.

I liked the idea of prepared actions with Martial Practices. That is something that is new, I think..........
Martial practice which allows one to create a "potion like" one shot prepared effect which could then be quickly triggered with a standard action? Like suddenly going in to a feign death trance.

Last edited:

Remove ads