D&D 4E List of Potential New Martial Practices

thanson02

Explorer
I find that many I am designing can up the legendary and mythic feel of martial making it feel higher magic in some sense ;)

And some of these are indeed reflavorings AND some aren't like enabling reuse of an item or GMT daily. Some I hope will not feel like reflavorings but have underlying function akin to rituals.

Plus there are the Martial Techniques and other capabilities enabled with Karma Points.

Cool. :)

Martial practice which allows one to create a "potion like" one shot prepared effect which could then be quickly triggered with a standard action? Like suddenly going in to a feign death trance.

I would think so. I was referring to one of the post earlier in this thread.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
A couple possibilities

Method acting ought to allow one to adopt a known personality by extreme roleplaying during preparation you will likely annoy the crap out of your friends

Mimic Voices/Sound Effects exacting emulation of a known voice or the sound of a known phenomena.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
A couple possibilities

Method acting ought to allow one to adopt a known personality by extreme roleplaying during preparation you will likely annoy the crap out of your friends

Mimic Voices/Sound Effects exacting emulation of a known voice or the sound of a known phenomena.
Picking on myself not sure how these are anything but bluff skill ... Maybe insight to identify personality and perception for sounds

Sent from my [device_name] using EN World mobile app

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Maybe a 'Disguise Practice' lets you use Thievery instead of Bluff.
That could work of its own accord.... it's the appearance angle which isn't covered by either mimicry or the method acting.

Did I mention I was thinking practices might serve like fighter/ranger/warlord/rogue cantrips?

An idea that came up during the feign death discussion could be made more in your face by making a hypnosis practice.
Hypnosis allows a set of practices that are normally (self only) unless medically induced (some with a gp cost) to use diplomacy skill - this could affect method acting and psychiatric treatment (which does delay mental afflictions ;))

That could work of its own accord.... it's the appearance angle which isn't covered by either mimicry or the method acting.
OK, I think more in line with what I'm doing would be if Method Acting let you do something like substitute Bluff for other skills in an SC by giving the character the ability to act convincingly. So, maybe you'd normally have to intimidate the guard, but the Method Actor can instead simply fool him into believing you're the Duke's Footman. You could have one for Diplomacy as well, 'Dealmaker' perhaps, that let you interject a negotiation into some other sort of challenge to gain a success. Your Sound Mimicry one would be pretty straightforward, allowing the creation of distractions or even creating fear in others using Bluff instead of other skills like Intimidate. These could also act as 'auxilliaries' providing another PC advantage on some other check for instance.

Did I mention I was thinking practices might serve like fighter/ranger/warlord/rogue cantrips?
Yes, and as I've described them, as 'techniques' they kind of naturally lend themselves to that. Many are simply things you know how to do, not things you really need to do ahead of time.

An idea that came up during the feign death discussion could be made more in your face by making a hypnosis practice.
Hypnosis allows a set of practices that are normally (self only) unless medically induced (some with a gp cost) to use diplomacy skill - this could affect method acting and psychiatric treatment (which does delay mental afflictions ;))

Yeah, that's pretty much a HoML style technique there....

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Your Sound Mimicry one would be pretty straightforward, allowing the creation of distractions or even creating fear in others using Bluff instead of other skills like Intimidate. These could also act as 'auxilliaries' providing another PC advantage on some other check for instance.

That too works too... it takes on a interesting/weird dynamic if it requires trained perception to do. Trackers making animal calls based on skills other than nature come to mind also.

Yes, and as I've described them, as 'techniques' they kind of naturally lend themselves to that. Many are simply things you know how to do, not things you really need to do ahead of time.

Could just be seen as lesser GMT in this 4e specific paradigm if it doesnt need prepared (or a trance state) or a longer time to do. But yeah practices being geared toward the latter and cantrips being a quicky thing you can do are different.

But I think maybe there value might be much the same even if the practices operate as normal.

It points out how bloody rich the Wizard was made with rituals and cantrips on top though (especially with those essentials and post essentials cantrips).

The Skald was similarly boosted however.

It was really the skill swapping practices that influenced my thinking on that, i needed to make those situational as they are just too powerful in comparison to the other cantrips without that adjustment. After the adjustment they feel like these rituals and practice with a fast casting time.

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I figure I can get away with putting Hypnosis in the martial arena (because grumble grumble well mumble mumble placebo woo commonly believed mumble mumble myth, grumble grumble)
Yes I know @AbdulAlhazred you do not have that issue ;)

Last edited:

Remove ads